adding cruise control, switching to digital dash

Smashey

Dec 29, 2010
Grande Prairie
1 I've been given too many tickets on the highway for speeding.. but id like to enjoy the car ive built and try to be more responsible this year.
I have looked through all the resources i can find on the cruise control system but without much knowledge of what im looking at i cant deduce if its possible.
my supra is a 1990 Japanese RHD turbo manual transmission
the resources i have put together are from sygnusx1

MEL284D.gif Main_104.gif Main_103.gif Main_101.gif Main_100.gif

Concerns: adding the controls to the steering wheel, i obviously dont have the buttons on the wheel, will/should there be a harness that a different wheel control can plug into?
my car starts without a clutch switch, always has, pretty sure its a jdm thing... id have to add one in order for it to cancel on depressing the clutch.
i dont have abs brakes either, so id guess i dont have a speed sensor, am i right? how could i tell? i dont think i have seen it.

Switching to a digital dash would it basically be plug and play for my car because its right hand drive?

Will i be able to add these parts to my existing car? what should i look for in order to find out?

thanks everyone.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
As for the dash, I believe the digidashes use different sensors. I was trying to buy one and that is what I was told.

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Whidbey Island, Washington
Smashey, I have some info for you. Unfortunately, no, the digital dash isn't just plug and play. The connectors for the dash are completely different, apart from the clock. Now you CAN add the correct connectors to your analog dash harness so that it plugs in. The other issue you will run into however is the speed sensor. The ABS speed inputs are completely separate from the rest of the car. You will need to either find the stock speed sensor which clips in right where the speedo cable is behind the cluster or find a suitable alternative. The stock sensor is about as rare as hen's teeth though since when the digidash cars are parted out, no one ever pulls that sensor to include it with the dash. I did find a suitable alternative yesterday though. It will require a small amount of customization, but it should work even better than what Toyota has. Also, the fuel level sender is different between analog and digital dashes, so you either have to find the blue top digital sender, or modify the analog one to work correctly. I detail that in my digidash conversion thread. Check my sig for more info. Now, with you not having any cruise control on this at all, it would probably be easier (and cheaper) to just buy the universal cruise control kit and use that. You can tap into the pink wire on the dash for your speed output signal for cruise.

I noticed it said Grande Prairie. You in Texas?

Smashey

Dec 29, 2010
Grande Prairie
Thanks a bunch man!

It sucks the digital dash has the different plugs, it's not the kind of work I want to get In to. In the not near future maybe...

I really love the electric cruise control and I think that would be perfect as long as it works for our cars. I'm not sure where the pink speed sensor wire is, guessing it's behind the dash? Or on the ecu?

I'm in Canada in Alberta.

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Oh okay. Damn. If you were in Grand Prairie, Texas, I would be able to help you out with this. As far as the cruise goes, it goes to the ECU, TEMS, and cruise. The signal is generated in the gauge cluster itself. The TSRM will be more specific but I know it goes to at least those three. The cruise control kit accepts a bunch of different signals since it is universal. You just select the signal best suited for your application. Don't quote me on this but I think the 4,000 pulse per mile signal will work best for you. The instructions that go with the cruise control system will explain it more in depth.

Smashey

Dec 29, 2010
Grande Prairie
You have been a great help, I'm going to get the cruise, the switch options aren't the best but I'm guessing a stock wheels controlls would work the same since it's a typical 4 button on off acc coast

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Grant, that would be me. :biglaugh: Smashey, I bet you could rewire the switches to work with the stock steering wheel ones. The stock wheel switches work off changing resistance (less wire to run) but I think (again, don't quote me on this) the universal cruise setup has dedicated wires for each switch. You could make it work, but it would require a bit of "out of the box" thinking (my favorite!).

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Yes that would be me. I am not out to make money. I just want to see it go to a good home and especially go to a member who will be active in the community. We need more active people.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
If your still looking for a digital speed sensor for the transmission, I have one on my cars auto trans. It's no use to me since I have a regular dash. If you have a regular one and they are transferable, I'd swap you no charge if you pay shipping

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Yhatzee, if I'm thinking what I think you're talking about, I don't think that sensor will work. The sensor that he needs is a funky shaped off-white one that snaps into the back of the dash. I found this image on the interwebs:
No1SpeedSensor.jpg