Acceptable rubber hose for oil drain? 1jz

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
I am working on getting my 1j ready for install, and need to replace the hardened turbo oil drain soft lines.

It looks like bulk hose will do, and i was thinking trans cooler line but i cant find any big enough.

I am assuming that heater hose will not do. So the question is, what kind of rubber hose would be suitable?

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
That hose you're talking about is not under pressure . The line on the 1JZ i just did, broke. I replaced it with heater hose, and have had no issues.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Might want to rethink using rubber there at all, Braided rubber after 6 months...

lsx122.jpg

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
1jzMoe;1548569 said:
Don't quote me on this, but i am pretty sure the one for the 2jz-gte should work.

can anyone confirm this

92TealSupra;1548577 said:
That hose you're talking about is not under pressure . The line on the 1JZ i just did, broke. I replaced it with heater hose, and have had no issues.

how long have you been running the heater hose?

IJ.;1548597 said:
Might want to rethink using rubber there at all, Braided rubber after 6 months...

thats my fear with using heater hose.
i am keeping the twins for the time being and i am sure Toyota has a replacement, does anyone have the part number for the 1j or the 2j?

Scott 88-1JZ

Dec 9, 2007
California
1jzMoe;1548569 said:
Don't quote me on this, but i am pretty sure the one for the 2jz-gte should work.

I used both return rubber hoses from the 2jz-gte on my 1jz. They are not a perfect fit but should work I have ran the motor and no leaks, but it was for a very short time. The bends and lengths are somewhat different between the two engines but there was enough meat to get both hoseclamps on. If you can find universal hose that works please post.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The pic I posted was Braided Stainless RUBBER hose :(

Went to pull it off the barb and it tore off in my hand, have since changed to braided teflon hose as rubber isn't even close in it's temp rating and WILL fail in time, this improves slightly if you have a long extension on the Turbo drain to keep the hose away from the radiant heat but given the potential for disaster if that line fails I'll drop the $ for Teflon.

Running Heater hose there is just plain stupid as it's NOT OIL rated let alone the temp involved...

bhg4life

Frozen
Apr 13, 2007
Edmonton
I built mine using 3/4" copper tubing. 45 degree elbows and straight pipe soldered up. It fits perfectly inside the existing 1JZ dump hose to connect it to the block drain connection. I did this with a single upgrade, but I can't see any reason you couldn't do it on the stock twins.