ac fuse keeps blowing

sharpsupra

Aug 14, 2011
georgia
my ac fuse keeps blowing. it will run 4 about 10 minutes then pop the fuse any ideas?
its a 10 amp is that correct size? i have an 87 turbo

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
You haven't checked for ground where it isn't supposed to be yet? That is the first thing. The fuse powers the magentic clutch. That is the second check.

sharpsupra

Aug 14, 2011
georgia
where should i look for that nick? the wire going to the ac clutch looks fine. idk where else there could be an issue. i just figured maybe someone might know the most common thing on the supra that may cause this issue. i assume to test the clutch id put a 10 amp fuse on a seperate lead and power it from the battery and see if it blows?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
sharpsupra;1750128 said:
where should i look for that nick?

In the wiring diagram for your year. My guess is the clutch has an issue, and when you unplug it, you can test both sides. In the manual you will also see the dual pressure switch and the amplifier. This is why you check for ground first where it isn't supposed to be.

the wire going to the ac clutch looks fine.

As long as you understand that doesn't make it so. But no having chaffed wires does remove an easy find.

i just figured maybe someone might know the most common thing on the supra that may cause this issue.

That doesn't exist, including the headgasket. There isn't anything abnormal on this car that isn't on other cars. Save for more torque on an engine with an iron block and aluminum heads. But most of those engines have issues also. Like the Neon, 4G63, Taurus 3.8, 3VZE, and on and on and on. I just wanted to use that as an example, to get it out of your head about "common" things to Supras that aren't on other cars. It annoys me. :)

The A/C amplifier is a processor of sorts. It energizes the relay for the clutch. The power to the clutch goes through the 10 Amp fuse, the dual pressure switch, the relay and to the clutch which provides the ground through the case. My thought was the clutch, since it runs for a little bit before blowing, but check the other stuff anyway.

i assume to test the clutch id put a 10 amp fuse on a seperate lead and power it from the battery and see if it blows?[/QUOTE]

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Nick M;1751324 said:
I just wanted to use that as an example, to get it out of your head about "common" things to Supras that aren't on other cars. It annoys me. :)
If your hatch wont open with the lever, the cable being stretched is the most common cause
If your dome lights work intermittently, the rivets probably worked loose
If your timing belt does not track properly, the crank timing gear guide has probably separated
Etc etc...

While I completely get what you are saying, I also completely get what he is saying. A lot of problems that I fixed on my car when I was new to Supras were easy fixes because they were "common" problems for the car that had been asked about several times and were revealed with a search. Sure any of those things are possible on any car, but if they are rather common on a Supra... easy things to check before doing a full on diagnosis from scratch. There is no common failure area for the OP's problem that I know of, but if there was his fix could have been a lot easier!

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
My first guess since it runs for 10 mins then blows the fuse would be the winding in the clutch magnet. But it could be other things. Unplug the compressor clutch and see if the fuse still blows after 10 mins. I know this will not load the rest of the circuit but if it still blows you can rule that out. If it blows go to the next thing in line. What you could do is run a wire from the compressor to a fuse to the battery and see if that fuse blows if it does then there you go.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
CyFi6;1751337 said:
A lot of problems that I fixed on my car when I was new to Supras were easy fixes because they were "common" problems for the car that had been asked about several times and were revealed with a search.

Those things you listed aren't uncommon on other cars. Anybody that works in the industry proffessionaly knows it. And I get what you are saying.

Sure any of those things are possible on any car, but if they are rather common on a Supra

My last comment down this rabbit trail is this. I am on my 5th over almost two decades. I haven't had a problem yet with the "common problems". I did burn a headgasket by leaning out the motor too far. It burned in the middle.

A common problem to all cars including his, is the magnetic clutch, or chaffed wiring. He needs to look for it.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Disconnect the mag clutch connector and see if it blows after ten minutes. If it does not, then the clutch is the probable culprit drawing too much current. That could happen if the winding insulation has become damaged. Measure the clutch current draw to be sure before replacing.

sharpsupra

Aug 14, 2011
georgia
thanks guys....not tryin ta be an idiot...but ive owned many cars over the years and each seem to have a few lil gremlins that are unique....ill do what ya all suggested and see if i can figure it out. hope its not the ac clutch gyaaaad! lol thanks again. i love this car but its hot down heeeeea! i need the ac workin.