Abs speed sensor cap off?

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
I'm installing an r154 which is missing its speed sensor (I'm not sure exactly but I think that's it, it's the sensor right above the tranny mount on drain side of the tranny) into my 87 which has no abs and therefore no sensor to swap to plug the gaping hole in my new transmission. Does anyone know how I can safely plug it short of buying a sensor off someone? (tryin to get the car goin today)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Try calling up Aaron at Driftmotion and seeing if he can get you the thread pitch and bolt size. Then go to Ace and buy a bolt. Done. ;)

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
You could just swap the tail shaft over from your old transmission and problem solved, this should also make sure your speedo driven gear spins at the correct rate for your rearend and you wont end up with a difference in speedo reading.

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
te72;1599573 said:
Try calling up Aaron at Driftmotion and seeing if he can get you the thread pitch and bolt size. Then go to Ace and buy a bolt. Done. ;)

It's not threaded, it's about 1/2" around. There is a threaded hole to the side that the bolt goes in but that one doesn't breach the case.

The ones without ABS just have a standard soft plug in there. Just measure the hole and you should be able to get one from most any parts store.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Doh! That's right, I'm really not sure what I was thinking. I really should stop trying to give tech advice after I'm worn out from work. You could always just buy a JZA70 R154, mine doesn't even have a hole there. Has the threaded hole for the sensor, but the hole that the sensor itself would go in is quite a hard plug...

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
te72;1599691 said:
Doh! That's right, I'm really not sure what I was thinking. I really should stop trying to give tech advice after I'm worn out from work. You could always just buy a JZA70 R154, mine doesn't even have a hole there. Has the threaded hole for the sensor, but the hole that the sensor itself would go in is quite a hard plug...

Mine is JZA70 also and had a "soft plug". It's not literally soft, it's like what is in the side of an engine block. AKA freeze plug. I pulled it out to install the sensor. Like these:
http://turbosunleashed.com/shop/images/Freeze Plug Webshot.jpg