ABS Sensor Question

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
I am getting a 91 targa shell that has ABS. My r154 came out of a non-ABS car. Are there any issues running the ABS without the rear sensor?

Thanks....

Chris

Last edited:

zoppii

Pro Lurker
May 21, 2007
Palm Harbor
I'm no expert on the ABS system but I have learned a few things about it over the years by trial and error by various tranny swaps.

You have to have the tranny sensor for it to work because the ABS computer needs the the pulses it produces to trigger the ABS function.

The second thing is that there are at least two different sensors that I know of I think they are split by Auto/Manual tranny. The difference is the length of the pickup that actually slides in the transmission. I had the short one in the tranny that needed the long one and it wouldn't work until I hunted around for the longer one.

I'm sure someone can chime in with more details.

csnow

Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
That is what I thought. I will just remove the ABS completely and move all the brake lines and components of my non-ABS car over to the targa.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Whats the harm in just leaving the ABS components in the car without the sensor? Thats what I currently have now after my tranny swap. Brakes work fine. I just have the Antilock light on all the time.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Not any real harm, if you pull the fuse it will deactivate it.

It would be easier to add the ABS trigger wheel and sensor than it would be to remove the system from the car.

zoppii

Pro Lurker
May 21, 2007
Palm Harbor
Nothing wrong with it. Just space and weight plus that fact that you don't have ABS and the glow of the ABS light on all the time may blind you from potential road hazards.:icon_bigg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Or just fix it as last I noticed we only have one brake pedal while the ABS controls the front wheels on two channels and the back wheels on one.

In other words it can do things you can't.

csnow

Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
Poodles;1491356 said:
Or just fix it as last I noticed we only have one brake pedal while the ABS controls the front wheels on two channels and the back wheels on one.

In other words it can do things you can't.

I would like to keep it, but I would have to find another R154. My tranny doesn't have the casting hole where the ABS sensor goes. It is just not worth the money. I will just swap the brake lines over from the non-ABS car.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
why not just trade some one trannys? abs is good to have and theirs not really any weight savings from removing it.