ABS removal help

dpack138

Poopra
Oct 30, 2007
Rosamond, CA
Hello mkiii peeps….wondering if anyone has taken the ABS unit on the passenger side under the hood off…..good idea?...bad Idea?.....breaks will still work>?....that thing is ugly as shit and has got to go….so here’s the question…..can I do without it?....pros? cons?

THxs

pack

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
ya if you remove it you will need the non abs brake lines and remove the abs computer next to the engine ecu. brakes will work fine but they will lock up if braking to hard.

imo i would keep it since you have it.
you could always make a cover for it to hide it.

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
You're removing it because it's ugly? Just my opinion, but that's a pretty poor reason to pull it. It's not like the rest of the engine compartment is the Mona Lisa anyway.

Anyway, your brakes will still work, will just have a greater chance of lockup in bad weather and/or hard braking.

dpack138

Poopra
Oct 30, 2007
Rosamond, CA
thanks for the input....yes because it's ugly....and it's weight...and toyota's ABS technology wasn't all that in the 80's ya know?....my car weighs 3600 lbs....so anything i can shave and get away with....ya know?....

(and yes....because it's ugly...lol)

Johnysupra

Rhenerie
Nov 7, 2007
Michigan
rhenerie.spaces.live.com
I don't like ABS personally, Don't mind it on my Dailydriver though specially in inclement weather. But I didnt buy an MKIII equiped with ABS so i didnt have to remove it.

But as the others have said it is a safety feature, and it depends how you plan to use your car.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
To answer your pm, the ABS from the factory is not that bad and is needed when driving a heavy car such as this. I took mine out for many reasons but..I have a big brake kit on my car.

Duane

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
the abs system works good for 20 years old. ive slammed on the brakes and still had control and didn't lock up.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
upgradedsupra;1234913 said:
To answer your pm, the ABS from the factory is not that bad and is needed when driving a heavy car such as this. I took mine out for many reasons but..I have a big brake kit on my car.

Duane

Duane

since you like to roll....

http://www.bosch-motorsport.com/content/language2/html/3720.htm

tuned to YOUR car ;) Includes stability control and indepednat 4 corner ABS.... John Reed should be able to fill ya in. Bring the Supra's braking prowess into the 21st century ;)

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
All you need is 4 lines, and the little splitter for the FL and FR side... but if you remove them from a complete car. Its pretty obvious which ones you need....

And i took mine out because i couldnt get the air out of the brake lines. either IN the abs pump or where ever it was stuck... but i got rid of it, and the other night ago i was driving "fast" (80mph) And with my drilled rotors and porterfield pads, i wasnt worried at all about stopping for the stop sign. And i was just pumping the brakes, so i know i can stop even faster than i did.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
80 MPH in a stop sign area???????? I know it's a Supra, and it was supposed to be driven hard. But, sounds like the stop sign caught you by surprise. Your aggressive driving should be done in areas where you are somewhat familiar at least. The Nelson thread was very depressing, we don't need another one at the expense of ill advised driving.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
ForcedTorque;1235137 said:
80 MPH in a stop sign area???????? I know it's a Supra, and it was supposed to be driven hard. But, sounds like the stop sign caught you by surprise. Your aggressive driving should be done in areas where you are somewhat familiar at least. The Nelson thread was very depressing, we don't need another one at the expense of ill advised driving.

there are several long straight empty roads by my house... and it was 10:30 at night with my high beams on if that matters... i know the road, i know where the bumps are, and im not stupid about where i do what i do. I knew the stop sign was coming up, which is why i was "pumping" the brakes and not hard on em locking it up... I drive aggressive yes, but i tend not to that much anymore, only late at night on empty streets...

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Aside from the fact that its three channel, it is otherwise a very competent implementation of ABS. What it lacks relative to a more modern system is electronic brake-force distribution, brake assist, and vehicle stability control and traction control.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
I'm sorry but I would be willing to bet 75% of mk3 owners can't out stop non-ABS vrs. ABS. But assuming you remove the ABS, don't you think its ugly to have a bunch of holes where something used to be? Just because it was designed as a safety piece doesn't mean it should be removed for weight, and it is not an upgrade. If you bought a Supra thinking you'd drop a bunch of weight, you bought the wrong car. (There are plenty of 240's out there if your looking for light)