ABS options

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
First of all, I am aware that this won't make any senese at first, please read the whole thing. :) I am adding an Apex SAFC II to my car. I ordered a plug and play harness from Boomslang so that I don't have to cut/splice my factory harness. This creates an issue with space. The extra space taken by the plug and play harness interferes with the glovebox closing. There is simply no space for the large connectoron tha harness to go where it can clear the glovebox. Keep in mind that my ABS does not function currently, and the ABS computer would takes up space next to the ECU where I could use some more space. The options I am considering:

1. Delete ABS: Some people will look at the safety aspect of this, which is understandable. Taking that into consideration though, the car is never driven in snow, and very rarely sees rain, so this eliminates many (not all) situations where ABS is needed. Getting rid of the ABS computer will give me the added space I need under the dash for the harness.

2. Relocate ABS computer: This would involve a lot of work, as I would most likely have to extend the wires that go into the ABS computer and find a custom place to mount the computer.

3. Remove glovebox: Basically, I would remove the front cover of my old glovebox, and use a special velcro to hold it on so there isn't an open space there. I would obviously be left with no glovebox storage. I'm hesitant to do this simply because I have already added a fuse panel, switch panel, and fan controller to my center console glovebox.

Basically I'm curious as to what your opinions are on this and if anyone has any other suggestions. Thank you.
-AM3

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Well, I'll touch on your options:

1. ABS also allows you to brake and steer at the same time, keeping control of the car even during emergency braking.

2. IIRC there is a bit of room to move stuff around to get things in there. You wouldn't have to relocate far.

3. Wouldn't do this, though you could cut it down or something.

I know it's a pain under there, but there's more room than it looks like, it's just getting all the wiring to move.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Personally, I'm not fond of the ABS delete, but if it doesn't work, then it's understandable, and loses a few lbs where the car could really stand to anyway.

I didn't think that the area there was particularly cramped. I'd keep looking for a way to squeeze stuff around. Currently though, I suppose that I'm not one to talk, since my glovebox currently holds my bluetooth unit for the stereo.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
Another MkIII;1833668 said:
Did you use the plug and play harness from Boomslang?
-AM3

no i didn't. mine are hardwired, but with the SAFC/AVCR/ and a VPC, i got a crapload aswell. my bad on that. though with the HKS harness with my old fcon (no longer own), i just pulled more of the wireing harness into the engine bay, which alowed it to clear better.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
bioskyline;1833897 said:
no i didn't. mine are hardwired, but with the SAFC/AVCR/ and a VPC, i got a crapload aswell. my bad on that. though with the HKS harness with my old fcon (no longer own), i just pulled more of the wireing harness into the engine bay, which alowed it to clear better.
No problem, but that is my main problem, the big yellow connector on the plug and play. I'm looking at the possibility of modifying the brackets and moving the ECU to the left a little bit to open up enough room for it. In the meantime i can leave the ABS out since it doesn't work at the moment, and then find a more permaneant solution to it later on.
-AM3

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Any ideas on why the ABS isn't functioning?.. MK3 ABS isn't anything spectacular AFAIK, but it's better than nothing.

Honestly, if you can manage to get the ABS working, I would keep it and find some way, shape, or form to keep it intact. If it's not feasible as is, then you might be able to have someone make you an adapter harness unless you're up for it.