ABS Delete

bigj

Oct 31, 2010
Olney, MD
wats up guys, was hoping to get some help from someone. I was told by my friend Avi, got a red supra w/ built 7mgte just in case anybody knows him, that their was and abs delete kit. does anybody have the parts list to delete the abs actuator. it was given to me a while back but i lost it. Thanks yall!:icon_bigg

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
Not familiar with a kit. I just removed the ABS box and comp. Got front brake lines for the front and was done. No kit needed.

Apr 6, 2005
Alpharetta, GA
What sound reasoning do you have wanting to remove it?
You may consider it to be reasonably early ABS technology, but it's still (1) functional, it'll (2) outperform your braking capability. And (3) if you're in an accident after removal, then any small time lawyer will have a field day with you if they discover you removed a safety device. Lastly, (4) it's worth some discounts from your automobile insurance.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
Unplug transmision speed sensor and wala wheels will lock up on you every time. This will turn on your abs light on. Unless your track you car I would leave it alone. Removing a safety device for looks is stupid.

bigj

Oct 31, 2010
Olney, MD
i just wanted a lil extra space in the engine bay, im doing a 1j swap on my mk3 might need the space later. Plus the abs system isnt really that much different from having a conventional braking system, i talk from experiance when i say that

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Its a lot different than a reg braking system because of the fact that it pulses the brakes 10x a sec. Something your foot cant do. Nothing different in braking technology for standard non abs cars from our car to new cars.

Also if you want to hide things there is a lot of space in the rear of the fender well.

You would need the non abs lines to convert. And you can swap a 1j and leave abs there.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
IJ.;1644874 said:
Those seatbelts aren't that much different to no seatbelts.....

^^^^ ROFL !!

BigJ, keep your ABS, it wont hurt and will not free up much room. What you plan on "mounting" in that area?? What ever it is Im sure it will still fit with the ABS in place ;)

barkz

Sep 14, 2010
Afghanistan
what in a 1j would inhibit you from keeping the abs system? lol and everyone makes GREAT points. accident wise, and insurance wise. if it aint broke, dont fix it.

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
i has no abs 1986.5 ftl :<

wait the 1986.5's didnt come with abs right? i always assumed it didnt but then i read this.

The third-generation Supra represented a great deal of new technology. In 1986, options available for the Supra included 3-channel ABS and TEMS which gave the driver 2 settings which affected the damper rates; a third was automatically activated at WOT, hard braking, and high speed maneuvering. HKS also made a "TEMS Controller" to hack the system and activate it on the fly, though the controllers are now nearly impossible to find.

Was it just optional and i just dont have it but they could have abs?

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
mine had ABS with the 7M, but it's never been active with the 1J.. the light always comes on right after starting the car (shrug), I wish it worked. It's likely a wiring problem I suppose, but I've also heard that some 1Js won't work with ABS for some reason or another, I can't remember what the actual argument was. Aaron from DM comes to mind in relation to that topic IIRC.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
to delete your abs, open the under-hood fuse panel and pull the 60 amp abs fuse. abs now deleted :) . if your doing a brake upgrade leave the abs working, especially for the street. if your on a track its up to you, but i disable the abs when on the track where locking the tires is preferred.

if you need more room under the hood, do a battery reloacate and use that space.?

barkz

Sep 14, 2010
Afghanistan
i cant imagine it would be too bad. im sure you have a spot for the power in the fuse box already, being that it was an option. and the harness for the computer should be there too. but idk. never seen someone put IN an abs unit lol

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
not easily no. you can mount the abs unit, install the comp if you have the wiring already. but you will need a new trans from a abs car as your doesnt have the abs sensor. and aswell you need new front hubs with the abs sensor.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Better to make sure you have the wiring first or else its going to be a major pain. Almost everything you need you could find at the junkyards for around 100$ except for the trans.