? about oil in IC pipe.....

BoostJunkie

Nov 27, 2008
Clarksville, TN
Is there gonna be a litle oil in the intercooler pipes over time. Someone had mentioned that a little oil is normal. I only ask because mine started to smoke the other day and I wanted to see if it was from the turbo. A little bit came out the pipe and made about a half dollar size puddle. The turbo and motor were rebuilt about 3500 miles ago and upgraded with a 57mm trim.

I will be checking further into what the smoke problem might be, just want to check on if a little oil in the IC pipe is normal so I can rule out blown turbo seals.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Check shaft play on the turbo, as turbos don't have "seals" in the normal sense...

Some oil is normal, but that much from a freshly rebuilt engine...

black91turbo

Formerly black87turbo
Apr 27, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
yeah i defintaley agree with Poodles...you should not have that much oil in your pipes after only 3500 miles. I would say if anything there is an oily film that should be there in the lower intercooler pipe but definately not a freakin puddle. I would bet that it is your turbo.....

BoostJunkie

Nov 27, 2008
Clarksville, TN
Ok, I just checked the turbo for shaft play, there is a very small amount. Just enough to notice it move, is that fine? Also I found oil coming from the pipe that goes from the TB to the valve covers and to the turbo air intake, quite a bit of oil. So much that I believe that is what is creating my smoke problem. Is there a fix to that or just put an oil catch can on?

2cqxlag.jpg

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
that would be blow by. either your pcv is not handling the pressure in the crank or something else is incorrect with your rings/bores/pistons. Is it filled with oil or is there just a film and some other crude? that would be where your intercooler pipes get their oil from considering everything on the turbo is good.

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Do a compression and leak down test, also check your pcv valve. Another thing did you prime the turbo correctly? If you still have those pipes routed to your intake pipe and your turbo is blowing oil it could be sucking it through into the manifold, any oil in the intake pipe itself?

BoostJunkie

Nov 27, 2008
Clarksville, TN
theres no oil in the intake pipe.
Everything was primed and done correctly on the rebuild.
The oil is coming through that pipe and into the air intake for the turbo, there is some in it, not just residue build up.

Call me stupid but where is the PCV on these cars.

j3pz

still learning
BoostJunkie;1207901 said:
theres no oil in the intake pipe.
Everything was primed and done correctly on the rebuild.
The oil is coming through that pipe and into the air intake for the turbo, there is some in it, not just residue build up.

Call me stupid but where is the PCV on these cars.

that pipe that goes from the top of the valve covers to the port on the throttle body and intake infront of the turbo is the PCV system on these cars. like its already been said, either it is not working properly or something is cause blow by. do as poodle has suggested and perform a compresion and leak down test.

BoostJunkie

Nov 27, 2008
Clarksville, TN
Actually, I think I found my problem. It isnt oil, its power steering fluid. That little hose underneeth the air intake for the turbo is connected to a valve that goes to the power steering. I noticed I was loosing power steering fluid but had no visible leaks or spots in the drive way. I didnt think it was connected like that til I looked harder at it.

Anyone else have this problem? I'm gonna see if I can get a new one and see if that fixes it. I just thought it was odd that it started smoking and I was mysteriously loosing power steering fluid.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
That line is for the idle up control on the ps pump, Since the ps fluid is trans fluid it would stink horribly if burned.
Wipe the compressor housing down with a CLEAN white rag/shirt and see what color it is.

do what poodles suggested, for peace of mind if nothing else.

BoostJunkie

Nov 27, 2008
Clarksville, TN
I agree about the pressure, but the thing is my pump isnt pumping anymore. Right now I have no power steering, plus there was some PS fluid on the intake of the turbo. It was the same redish tint as the fluid. I'm gonna cap it off tommorrow and see if it does stop smoking.

And DAMN, Toyota wants $389 for a new pump and $250 for the valve. Good thing the salvage yard has two of them in their yard. One that use to be mine.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
how unique is that?! Add a bit of water to that trans fluid and youd have some old fashion combustion chamber cleaner.