about a homemade oil catch can...

supra4ever68

Dec 6, 2006
Anaheim, CA
Has anyone made one or bought one and if you have made one, was it hard or pretty easy? some tips on making one would be greatly appreciated!

bgrieger

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto
yep. About $10 in home depot parts. Visit the plumbing asile, pick up a short length of some 3 inch PVC and some caps + the PVC glue. Pick up some brass double barb fittings in the size you want, and a foot of clear PVC hose in the barb size. Get some plastic scrub pads (like for washing pots) for packing material and if you want to get fancy, a valve to drain it occasionally. Use epoxy to seal the barbs on one cap and the valve on the other. The clear hose should go inside the can from one barb to about 75% of the way to the bottom...this is the inlet from the valve covers.

Should be fairly self explanitory from here...yes I have built one, yes it did work in a car I had bad blow by issues with years ago. The surpa has a shiny modified greddy one...I just added the clear hose and packing material to make it a bit more functional (oil in air is more likely to get trapped with a material like a plastic dish scrub pad to filter it). That said, these things aren't miracle cures, but do help.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Look for a 3/4" NPT threaded oil seperator for air lines/compressors. (Mine was 50.00 with the bracket, and it has a clear plastic sight, metal bowl, and a very nice oil seperator that creates a swirl effect, and has an air filter to keep oil droplets out of your turbo/intake/FMIC. They are rated to more CFM than your PCV system should ever see too. And you can buy replacement filters if you want, but should never need to.

Problem is finding a cool place to put one. (Cooler the better as you want hot oil vapor to condense and stay in the trap, but this design works so well, only clean air is going to come out anyway. This one will actually filter out cigarette smoke the filter works so well.)

They make them rated for breathing air, and those are about 80.00, but dang nice filters/seperators. They also flow more than your engine should ever need, and most have metal tanks with clear sights built into them.

Sure it does not say Greddy or HKS, but it works about 1000x better.. :)

shepfly

Jul 23, 2007
Ohio
Any industrial tool or compressor supplier will carry them, Made by numerous companies, you can almost chose your color. 1/2 npt should be big enough.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Compressor dealers... Or most pipe/hose places sell them.

Mine is a Parker #F06f24bc. And It has 1/2" NPT threads.. Must have been thinking about the other one that was 80.00, it had larger 3/4" ports.
It has a metal body, and metal bowl with a sight glass down the side. There is a drain plug on it too. The two parts are held together wiht a retaining collar, and it's easy to pull this apart and dump the oil, and check the filter.

Here is the home page for filters.
http://www.parker.com/ead/cm1.asp?cmid=305

Best bet is to find a Parker store, or someone similar in your area, look under your hood, figure out where you want to mount this, and then buy one that will fit.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I have put my baffled GReddy catch can in place of where the stock coolant resivior tank was, that area should be getting direct air flow to it as I can see the catch can right underneath the header panel.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Adjuster said:
Compressor dealers... Or most pipe/hose places sell them.

Mine is a Parker #F06f24bc. And It has 1/2" NPT threads.. Must have been thinking about the other one that was 80.00, it had larger 3/4" ports.
It has a metal body, and metal bowl with a sight glass down the side. There is a drain plug on it too. The two parts are held together wiht a retaining collar, and it's easy to pull this apart and dump the oil, and check the filter.

Here is the home page for filters.
http://www.parker.com/ead/cm1.asp?cmid=305

Best bet is to find a Parker store, or someone similar in your area, look under your hood, figure out where you want to mount this, and then buy one that will fit.

hey this is good stuff, im having trouble looking for it honestly prolly have to call D= places.. hehe