A70 Brake Upgrades

hockysa

Hey guys,

Background
So anyways...
Had a couple close calls and it made me think about upgrading my brakes.
Both close calls were in the rain one in the rain and downhill. Other times where I've felt the brakes letter me down has usually been going downhill but I've always been feeling that the brakes could be bigger considering how bulky the supra is.

So I thought wouldn't hurt to consider a brake upgrade before my engine.

At the moment I have a 7M-GE and plan to replace that to a 1JZ-GTE but keep the twins for as long as I can. I'd say I'd most likely upgrade to a big single but that won't be for a very long time to come (at least 5 years away). The want 1JZ-GTE to happen at the end of this year so I thought it'd be best to look at this now and get this done preferably before the engine is in.

I'm aware the JZA70 and MA70 share the same rotors and calipers but it makes me wonder how well they would perform on a 200+rwkw Supra vs my under 100rwkw POS lolz.

Currently have standard brakes and rotors and wanted to know about big brake options for the A70's, preferably easy and common applications but anything that's practical is good. I haven't tried slotted rotors so I'm unaware of the difference in braking ability.

Questions
I'd like more reading material regardless of which option I choose but any advice would be appreciated.

What applications need which brakes or what power requires which brakes. I'll be sitting on 200-220rwkw for awhile and am still unsure of how much I'll want out of a big single 300+rwkw

I'd like to have more braking ability than I need but how much is overkill if it can be measured.

Any links to good reading material on performance brakes would be good. I'd like some clarity on 4pot vs 6pot vs 8pot. Anything from how it works to how effective to costs vs effective braking ability and applications.

Thanks in advanced guys

.ben//

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
a lot of people use cobra breaks. but willwood makes a kit as well as a few other people. i think Doward had a GB on his 13" set up not to long ago..i think his kit uses PBR's. it seems like anything you buy you need to be looking to spend about $1500 (thats the cheapest ive seen them, i could have missed some tho), in case you weren't aware of that. ive heard good things about the rotora and brembo kit too. "endless" is another possibility but they are about 3k for the fronts

edit:that is just for the front in most cases

hockysa

7M-KDL;1342130 said:
a lot of people use cobra breaks. but willwood makes a kit as well as a few other people. i think Doward had a GB on his 13" set up not to long ago..i think his kit uses PBR's. it seems like anything you buy you need to be looking to spend about $1500 (thats the cheapest ive seen them, i could have missed some tho), in case you weren't aware of that. ive heard good things about the rotora and brembo kit too. "endless" is another possibility but they are about 3k for the fronts

edit:that is just for the front in most cases

With that ktis mentioned are they all made for the A70 or do brackets need to be made??

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
the endless, rotora, dowards and willwood all come with what you need i believe. i know the rotoras and endless do...have you checked suprasport.com suprastore.com, horsepowerfreaks.com etc?

edit: AZP sells wilwood kits..cheapest ive seen so far

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
disturbed1;1342137 said:
have a search mate - shit load of details on this forum regardign kits that have been made to bolt up to a70s

^^This.

A quick search for "brake upgrade" in thread titles brought me 12 different threads.

Different/more specific search terms would yield you even more results and reading material:)

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
hockysa;1342120 said:
Hey guys,

Background
So anyways...
Had a couple close calls and it made me think about upgrading my brakes.
Both close calls were in the rain one in the rain and downhill. Other times where I've felt the brakes letter me down has usually been going downhill but I've always been feeling that the brakes could be bigger considering how bulky the supra is.

So I thought wouldn't hurt to consider a brake upgrade before my engine.

At the moment I have a 7M-GE and plan to replace that to a 1JZ-GTE but keep the twins for as long as I can. I'd say I'd most likely upgrade to a big single but that won't be for a very long time to come (at least 5 years away). The want 1JZ-GTE to happen at the end of this year so I thought it'd be best to look at this now and get this done preferably before the engine is in.

I'm aware the JZA70 and MA70 share the same rotors and calipers but it makes me wonder how well they would perform on a 200+rwkw Supra vs my under 100rwkw POS lolz.

Currently have standard brakes and rotors and wanted to know about big brake options for the A70's, preferably easy and common applications but anything that's practical is good. I haven't tried slotted rotors so I'm unaware of the difference in braking ability.

Questions
I'd like more reading material regardless of which option I choose but any advice would be appreciated.

What applications need which brakes or what power requires which brakes. I'll be sitting on 200-220rwkw for awhile and am still unsure of how much I'll want out of a big single 300+rwkw

I'd like to have more braking ability than I need but how much is overkill if it can be measured.

Any links to good reading material on performance brakes would be good. I'd like some clarity on 4pot vs 6pot vs 8pot. Anything from how it works to how effective to costs vs effective braking ability and applications.

Thanks in advanced guys

.ben//

Would never advise against upgrading brakes. Imo would drive a little more cautiously, do the engine upgrades get it reliable, then do brakes. In that order. (unless your money tree is blooming)

I had the G35 sixspeed w/Brembo's. At 27k car needed pads and rotors. Quote was %#@$%@# crazy. Anyway put some regular rotors, not the butter soft Brembo's, on and almost made luve to the guys rear bumper when I tried to stop at the light. I just adjusted my driving after that. Reality is that unless your being timed at a track, have tons of money to spend on tires and brakes, stock is fine as long as you don't drive like a maniac.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
don't forget the wesbeech performance MBC braces...

they provide a better feel, and help with firewall flexing..

it won't make you brake in a lesser distance, but it'll give you more confidence in your system..

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
$1500???

You can buy the kit I bought for $250-$350, another $70 for rotors, and $200 for the PBR calipers.

That's 13" BBK for under $700. Where did you get $1500 from?

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
Doward;1342351 said:
$1500???

You can buy the kit I bought for $250-$350, another $70 for rotors, and $200 for the PBR calipers.

well i meant aside from your kit. and i didnt know which kit it was...every other kit is around 1500..and...i didnt know if you wanted people bugging you about it if you werent messing with it anymore lol. my bad

hockysa

Doward;1342351 said:
$1500???

What kit did you buy??

I'm in australia in case anyone didnt notice, anyone know what postage is like?? Curious how much a set of brembos will be over in the US.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
What kit did I buy? LOL, I built the Doward BBK ;)

I can supply them, but pretty much only to vendors, on a build-to-order status in groups of 15.

I'm working on the rear BBK as we speak ;)

hockysa

Doward;1342437 said:
What kit did I buy? LOL, I built the Doward BBK ;)

I can supply them, but pretty much only to vendors, on a build-to-order status in groups of 15.

I'm working on the rear BBK as we speak ;)

oh lol.

damn I guess I'll have to wait for a GB if i were to consider one of those.

Last edited: