A340E shift solenoids. Anyone tried any other than Toyota OEM?

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
Reason I'm asking is my O/D lockup solenoid is shorted and I'm planning on replacing all 3 solenoids while I've got the pan pulled. The OEM units are pretty pricey, and I'm hoping someone has some experience with some quality aftermarket replacements. I've found a 3-piece kit from Rostra and some others that appear to be from the same supplier. Any recommendations or reviews on aftermarket solenoids? Thanks...

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
It's a solenoid. A simple on/off device to control oil flow. It's pretty hard for one to be better or worse, they are very simple devices. I think any brand will be just fine.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I am thinking Toyota doesn't make them, but can't be certain. More likely the company Aisin. The A340E is said to be manufactured by AisinWarner. Aisin makes Japanese parts, and Borg Warner doesn't exist any more after being consumed by Tremec. So you might try and find the parts that way, especially if you have a number right on it. I wouldn't be suprised if it is NipponDenso either. Or Mitsubishi.

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
There are so many used A340E's out there you can find a good used one. LS400 SC400 our Supras. These trannys were builtproof.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
My friend works for Borg Warner, they exist.

Personally I wouldn't mind buying a used one and grabbing a Rostra set or a used set for a 'next time' in case it happens, the tranny pan isn't hard to drop. Wish I had one lying around but the N/A tranny I have in the garage doesn't have the valve body anymore, just the pipes and some screws/springs from it.