A340E Not Doing Anything

Captain_Phil

Apr 13, 2009
Spokane, Wa
A few days before thanksgiving we had a bit of snow here in Spokane, (I had never driven in it before) I was trying to get up the step hill to my apartment. I was redlining it in first gear slowly making my way to the top. I got to a point where It wasn't going any further so I backed up down the hill to get a nice good run up. At this point my car doesn't shift into drive and just sits there. So I try all the gears and reverse and nothing. So I called a tow truck and its been parked ever since.

Now I have the money to repair her, I'm trying to nail down the problem before I just throw a whole new tranny in it.

I checked for any codes from the transmission, None.
She does not shift or tries to shift into any gear.
I checked the linkage and it is fine.
I checked the fluid and its burnt but still has an adequate level of fluid.

It is an 1989 with 156k miles, newer motor(50k) but I believe the original transmission.

I believe the transmission has been slipping for a few months before hand but i have no evidence to support this other then a significantly lowered MPG

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
IJ.;1659041 said:
Does it have fluid in it?

Captain_Phil;1659010 said:
A few days before thanksgiving we had a bit of snow here in Spokane, (I had never driven in it before) I was trying to get up the step hill to my apartment. I was redlining it in first gear slowly making my way to the top. I got to a point where It wasn't going any further so I backed up down the hill to get a nice good run up. At this point my car doesn't shift into drive and just sits there. So I try all the gears and reverse and nothing. So I called a tow truck and its been parked ever since.

Now I have the money to repair her, I'm trying to nail down the problem before I just throw a whole new tranny in it.

It is an 1989 with 156k miles, newer motor(50k) but I believe the original transmission.

I believe the transmission has been slipping for a few months before hand but i have no evidence to support this other then a significantly lowered MPG

:)

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Bump, try unlplugging the trans control unit on the passenger kick panel, if you can shift into reverse, and forward gears (1,2, D) then your module is shot, if it doesnt work still then its in the transmission..

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
Captain_Phil;1659010 said:

if its burnt that not good a good sign. sounds like the friction discs are worn out and slipping. but do check the electronics first as its easy. after that pull the pan off and see how much junk is on the bottom of the pan (clutch dust)

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
Can you feel the linkage moving? A transmission should not be able to redline in first. Average stall speed is 2500 rpm max. There was something wrong with it before hand.