A340E Differences?

BJ91T

Aug 28, 2006
Baton Rouge LA
I am looking for a list of the differences between the Non Turbo and the Turbo variants of the A340E auto found in mk3's. I have a NA auto in my shop and I plan to swap in a turbo 7M in the future I am just curious of any differences between the transmissions if there are in fact any at all. Just for reference the Car will be very mildly modified Pretty much a stock ct-26 with hard pipes, 3inch turbo back etc and possibly increased boost to 12-14 PSI. I plan to do the shim mod to the accumulators and run fresh OEM fluid as well. I do not see this car ever making over 350RWHP,

Thanks In Advance
BJ

BJ91T

Aug 28, 2006
Baton Rouge LA
Thanks for the info Ian, I assume with the differences listed above that the GTE transmission will be a safer more reliable unit to use even for the basically stock engine? Also Are the tail shaft (drive shaft) splines the same?

Thanks Again
BJ

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
In and out shafts are the same, you can machine the GE pistons if you have access to a lathe and you can also add more discs in the 2nd gear brake clutch buy substituting some thin plates in place of the stock thick ones.

I've just finished the rebuild on mine there are a bunch of pics on the last 2 pages of my pics thread.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Bumping this thread because its a bit pertinent: are the torque converters the same between the NA and turbo transmissions? I could imagine the stall speed being a bit different, but I need to send in a TC to get stalled anyways so that should be a non-issue.

Also, good to know the in and outs are the same that way the splines for the TC are the same.

vilnis29

Sep 27, 2011
Latvia
So i found some differences, look at pictures

7bt6rp5bikjxu4cmhcg6.jpg Supra gearbox have 4 wire connector

cbaws6ehnh0vlhk6eyj.jpg Cressida gearbox have 3

e2ed46xoz8yxfvrzm9z0.jpg Speed sensor w/o ABS (Cressida)

7n6q0vmmsodk88syhxi.jpg Speed sensor w/ ABS (Supra)

So i have idea when i can swap just Extension housing and swap Valve body from Supra gearbox to Cressida gearbox. But i dont know will it work or no? :icon_roll

Last edited:

vilnis29

Sep 27, 2011
Latvia
so i found the problem. Problem was torque converter and oil pump damage. Both i taken from Cressida box, and put new oil seal to oil pump, BUT oil is leaking. What ideas WHY?

r3wn32evmj4k8mvux3jl.jpg

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Any idea what was different on the internals of the JZA70 and 1JZ Soarer A340 besides using a different TC?