A "strong box" for pistol storage, 2A/LEO

ABNPayne

Jul 18, 2010
Macon, GA
It may be a couple months til I can get the alarm installed that I want. Just wondering about some of the solutions the Supra 2nd Amendment exercisers/LEOs have made for properly securing there carry weapons. I also know an alarm is not an valid excuse to skimp on secure storage of a firearm.

Many of the Jim Crow era weapons carry restrictions were finally lifted in Georgia this year. I have a Georgia Weapons License, so I have less restrictions than a 21+ citizen that just keeps their weapon in their car (no license required for that in GA). 95% of the time my pistol is on me. I'm just looking for a simple storage solution for no carry areas like, visiting federal buildings in ATL, stopping by the Post Office, parking at the airport or at college and have to leave my Glock secured in my vehicle. Georgia law REQUIRES that GWL holders double lock their weapon at schools, ex. Locked door and locked glovebox/strongbox.

Like most cars, our glovebox would be extremely easy to break into. Space is at a premium for us and not really looking to mount anything in the hatch. Let me know what you've come up with. TIA

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
Here in WA it is not required to be locked, otherwise I would run into the same issue, it only needs to be locked in vehicle and out of view. But I would think one could rig up a slide out rail system under your seat (depends if you have stock seats (power) or not. My TRD seats have decent clearance under them, I think there is enough room to create a slide out that slides into the rear passenger floor area. Are you looking to make the box or buy a lock box? Anyway just throwing it out there... whether good idea or bad...

Good luck, I would be interested in knowing what you come up with... As long as the Seattle continues to influence politics, I am sure the gun laws will become more and more strict...

blackkarma

MoN-sTaR
Jan 17, 2007
jacksonville, nc
Just the other day I saw a digital lock box the mounts into your vehicles arm rest. I will look it up again and drop the link. Just to add thread will prob be moved to the off topic lounge.

What are u carrying? Size will make a difference in where u can store as well

barkz

Sep 14, 2010
Afghanistan
carry it on you? if your gonna have it in the car, might as well keep it on you. even better get a concealed carry permit...

blackkarma

MoN-sTaR
Jan 17, 2007
jacksonville, nc
Only prob with that is there are restrictions on where u can carry federal builds, schools and airports are a no no unless you enjoy small rooms, crappy meals and a boyfriend named tiny a secure place to keep your pistol in the car is not a bad idea

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
Theres a guy i remember talking to a while back and basically you tell him what car, what firearm and he'll make a custom sliding holder for the firearm that is actuated by 2 buttons being pressed (like am/fm and change track) simultaneously. He gives you options on where to put it and will custom make it for wherever youd like it. Ill see if i can find his info and get it to you

ABNPayne

Jul 18, 2010
Macon, GA
Compton74;1641765 said:
Theres a guy i remember talking to a while back and basically you tell him what car, what firearm and he'll make a custom sliding holder for the firearm that is actuated by 2 buttons being pressed (like am/fm and change track) simultaneously. He gives you options on where to put it and will custom make it for wherever youd like it. Ill see if i can find his info and get it to you

Sounds awesome! I bought a lock from Santa Cruz w/ an electronic actuator for a LEO bud to secure his patrol shotgun in a soft top Wrangler. Dunno, what your guy is doing but interested. I carry a Glock 19.

ABNPayne

Jul 18, 2010
Macon, GA
barkz;1641701 said:
carry it on you? if your gonna have it in the car, might as well keep it on you. even better get a concealed carry permit...
I have a Georgia Weapons License... 95% of the time my pistol is on me.
blackkarma;1641706 said:
Only prob with that is there are restrictions on where u can carry federal builds, schools and airports are a no no unless you enjoy small rooms, crappy meals and a boyfriend named tiny a secure place to keep your pistol in the car is not a bad idea
Exactly. ^^^ Karma is tracking.

Gotadiesel, I'm mostly looking to buy rather than fabricate. I'm not a big fan of the cable lock types, so thinking about modifying a retail one to slide on a simple channel or something more clever.
http://www.amazon.com/Secure-Handgun-Storage-Safe-Key/dp/B000HBB15U/ref=pd_sim_sg_5
measures 9-1/2 x 1-3/4 x 6-1/2 inches (W x H x D) and less than $35

Anyone have a make an model they are using with success? Still looking for someone's recommendation. Doesn't really matter but I'm storing a G19.

Last edited:

ABNPayne

Jul 18, 2010
Macon, GA
I've found a lot of console vaults for LEO type suburbans, only one "universal" model.
36-1020.jpg

36-1021.jpg

Maybe I'll tinker with making one...

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
I live in ga as well and also carry (Taurus pt145 .45acp subcompact) and I'd like to know what your solution to this is, I live in a rural area and save for the courthouse I carry everywhere but work and church, but when I do go to atl and whatnot it be nice to have somewhere, I usually lock my dash and call it good enough

Off subject what model do u carry?

ABNPayne

Jul 18, 2010
Macon, GA
After looking at the $200+ console "safes," I'm thinking about making a top loading box that has an actuator (accessory on wired button), cylinder lock override, and spring loaded pop up. It doesn't have to be Fort Knox, just more difficult to open than a glovebox. I carry a Glock 19 in a Southern Holsters "Memphis."
2n0lo2a.jpg