A new manual transmission is in town... The 'V154' !

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
Check this out?

p2002486_1.jpg

Yes, it is a 5speed stock R154 transmission in the picture, with just a 1JZ bellhousing since I run a 2JZ, but I am going to upgraded the R to a bulletproof gearbox
at the same level as the V160 getrag 6speed manual transmission. Just got a spare one, and it will be my next project to make it handle 1000hp safely!
That's why I named it , the V154 ;-)

What I got in mind to achieve that goal after many years of search and experience is :
-Multi disc clutch kit. It should be triple or quad disk,and pull type. No conversion kits for push to pull type should be used.
-The best short shifter with rubber dampener for the R154 trans.
-Performance transmission mount. Not solid one,and should be matted with motor mounts also.
-MC upgraded kit , plus the Driftmotion 3-4 and 5-reverse shift forks.
-Toyota oem rebuilt kit with new bearings and seals
-Redline MT lubricant
# and maybe take the transmission at the end to a cryogenic procedure , to increase the metal strength of the gearbox...

Let me know about your thoughts on this guys...
Anything that I missed to add ? Or any idea about going the R transmission to the highest level of performance.

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
Quin;2002550 said:
Thrust washer. Run a quality shifter. Still probably break. Lol

A billet performance thrust washer is included in the MC kit for the 1st gear.
Quality is first thing that I have in mind when I buy parts for the Supra ;-)

I don't think it will brake at 1000 hp after those upgrades.
Now I run a 24 year old stock R154 transmission and I boost 720hp without any issue.
Though I don't take it to the dragstrip or doing crazy dig races, nor I ever run slick tires.
But I do have the best short shifter...the S3 v.2 short shifter with a TRD knob, and TRD trans mount along with TRD engine mounts ;-)
I don't even run the Redine 75-90 MT oil, which I will with my new rebuilt transmission.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Problems with high-hp R154's:
Shredding gear teeth off of the input shaft and counter shaft.
Breaking Synchro sleeves
Shredding 2nd, 3rd gear teeth.

Most of that happens at 700+hp/tq, from the research I've done.

I've personally broken the sleeve for 3-4, and the 3-4 shift fork on another R154. *knock on wood* I haven't broken gears or teeth.

PAR engineering makes a straight-cut, dog engagement gearset for the R154, but its 4500 bucks- something not many would be willing to jump into (particularly with a JZ, where the V160 isn't that much more)

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
toyotanos;2002572 said:
Problems with high-hp R154's:
Shredding gear teeth off of the input shaft and counter shaft.
Breaking Synchro sleeves
Shredding 2nd, 3rd gear teeth.

Most of that happens at 700+hp, from the research I've done.

I've personally broken the sleeve for 3-4, and the 3-4 shift fork on another R154. *knock on wood* I haven't broken gears or teeth.

PAR engineering makes a straight-cut, dog engagement gearset for the R154, but its 4500 bucks- something not many would be willing to jump into (particularly with a JZ, where the V160 isn't that much more)

Good info.... It's nice and important to know what can brake at what HP level.
I think also, that very important is to keep the weight of big powered mk3 Supras down , to relief the load on the transmission and in general the moving parts!

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
1986.5supra_kid;2002656 said:
ill just shoot for 600whp then :) hardtop 2jz 3740lbs with driver.

Stock R154 can hold around 700-750whp, above that it is a ticking bomb especially the early versions (1987-1992).

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
SupraClaou;2002486 said:
-Multi disc clutch kit. It should be triple or quad disk,and pull type. No conversion kits for push to pull type should be used.

Why?

Also, if you can find one, C's short shifter was IMHO the best made.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
1986.5supra_kid;2002852 said:
I thought thats the only time they where made?

They were used in various vehicles equipped with the 1JZ-GTE in Japan until 2004.

There were various updates made over the years internally as well.

In North America we only had the early versions 86-92.

Jeff

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
Jeff Lange;2002892 said:
They were used in various vehicles equipped with the 1JZ-GTE in Japan until 2004.

There were various updates made over the years internally as well.

In North America we only had the early versions 86-92.

Jeff

Exactly... The R154 as a transmission was first introduced in 1987 on our Supra turbo model, and ended in 2004 when the last Soarer model.
As a transmission it was also used in four other models like Toyota Chaser, Toyota Mark II, Toyota Cresta, Toyota Soarer. Japan market only.
The first three mentioned share alot and look similar. The Soarer is different and shares some Supra parts...

From 1987 till 1996, the internals are the same (bearings,syncronisers,etc), from 96' till 2004' Toyota made changes to the internals and to
the 1st and 3rd gear,which were a little shorter gears than it's predecessor. Rumors say the late version is a little stronger in holding HP/torque rating.

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
Poodles;2002864 said:
Why?

Also, if you can find one, C's short shifter was IMHO the best made.

Extra parts,weight,plumping...no reason. And I have a friend with a 900 mk4 with a triple OS Giken and the pull to push convertion kit
and he said it does slow a little bit the change of gears.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
I like how everyone here is saying the R154 can handle XXX amount of HP, when in reality transmission capabilities are measured in TQ just as clutches are. lol

I mean there is a relevancy there to a degree, but the tq levels are going to vary from one setup to another, but more importantly from engine to engine. For instance (as much as I hate getting into this), the 1J is going to make quite a bit less TQ at 700hp than a 7M or 2JZ (with a few exceptions to the rule, such as Alberts car on e85 etc).

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
Dylan JZ;2003025 said:
I like how everyone here is saying the R154 can handle XXX amount of HP, when in reality transmission capabilities are measured in TQ just as clutches are. lol

I mean there is a relevancy there to a degree, but the tq levels are going to vary from one setup to another, but more importantly from engine to engine. For instance (as much as I hate getting into this), the 1J is going to make quite a bit less TQ at 700hp than a 7M or 2JZ (with a few exceptions to the rule, such as Alberts car on e85 etc).
His 1JZ make something like 732ftlbs this time didnt it?

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Nope, not even close. I believe it was making around 750rwhp on that particular run.

E85 produces amazing results if the tuner knows what they're doing.