A little upset, wouldnt mind a little advice.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
It seems to be a question primarily used to incriminate you... there is no correct way to answer it that I can think of that wouldn't piss off the officer. However, by being honest and upfront I have had many friends get off with warnings when doing things much worse than this.

mkiii222;1904877 said:
At the end he asked you if you had any questions twice, he likely was trying to give you an out by asking to see the reading on the gun, if they can't show it they aren't supposed to be able to write the ticket. (not that many will follow this)
You answered his question about where you were coming from/going. This has nothing to do with a speeding violation and the officer has no legal basis for asking. Your mileage may vary on avoiding this question but I will answer it myself if and only if I'm already small talking with the officer.

By the time that the complaint form is signed by me, I highly doubt anything that I say or ask the officer can make any positive difference in the outcome of the traffic stop. I don't think the officer has any obligation to show you the radar readout even if you ask in AZ. How does telling the officer where I was coming from and going to hurt my case? I think the photo was because it was a criminal violation and not a simple civil ticket, but I am not positive.

MadRPM

Nov 9, 2012
Tampa
Try to take a vid if you can of the section travelled so you can take it to court with you. As mentioned earlier, a grade A dickhead will bend you over with a grin, encountered a few of those already.

Being honest will only work if, let's say, you were doing 90 in a 70, and the cop was following you as you can't bullshit your way out of that one.

But yea man, I know the feeling of getting pulled over for the first time but I'm used to it now (sad, I know).

Go with a vid to show everything as a pic "may be falsified or be inaccurate".

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
In this case... I hope (and thats a large one.. because the world has failed my expectations so many times...) that the court will be very reasonable regarding this. I got off of one ticket just explaining to the judge that I failed to notice the speed sign because it was behind a large truck (truth) and I was travelling at a safe speed which I believed was more important than a posted speed. (followed by a little explanation that I understood speed signs as indicators and the just because a sign says go 50, I dont always go 50. I will go 55 if by going 50 I end up causing traffic issues and hostile traffic. My defensive driving course instructed me to "go with the flow", meaning.. if everyone is doing 60 in a 50.. yes.. follow suit. If everyone is doing 35 in a 60 zone.. you slow down as well. It works both ways. It was a 15 minute argument whereas in the end the judge agreed with me in principal, but legally, the speed limit is the legal definition (with a variance that the police officer has leeway to follow.. in Canada is usually 12 kph)

If your getting a traffic lawyer (and I understand you are), I am assuming this may just be let go once the conversation begins.

Dont know about where you live, but here, the officer HAS to appear in court when you do and if they do not show up (which happens frequently.. because they need to be assigned 1.5 hours for court duty and that doesnt always line up with what is happening on the police roster) the ticket can be thrown out. Although, even if the ticket is dismissed on grounds it was incorrectly given.. the police do have a 6 month window to recharge me.

I have a high regard for the Police and for traffic law.. but I do beleive that speed limits should be speed suggestions. I am very much a non-"nanny-state" person...

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
In Cali even one point automatically guarantees your chances of working at a dealership is zero. Hire representation. I wish i would have.