A little 1st to 3rd run...

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Had a little fun out back on the farm roads behind my neighborhood. This was just a little run from 1st to 3rd gear. 20-70mph. It wasn't really going all that fast. More noise and wheelspin than anything else. Short shift to second gear, had to throttle 2nd cause the car was going a little sideways, and granny shifted to third up to 70mph.

[video=youtube;t--m99cxGAw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t--m99cxGAw&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/video]

Rebuilt stock shortblock.
HKS 2.0mm stopper with ARP studs.
P&P head.
Garrett T4 60trim .70A/R divided turbine.
Ebay manifold.
Generic Wastegate with dumptube.
3" turbo back exhaust with hole in muffler. (Look at my other vids)
Lexus AFM.
MSD 8.5mm spark plug wires.
Autolite #3922 plugs.
550cc injectors.
Walbro fuel pump.
TRD pressure plate.
OEM Toyota clutch disc, pilot & throw-out bearings.

Runs were made at 8psi of boost.

Last edited:

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Thanks Mike.
Greddy Type S BOV. I'm only running 5psi of boost according to my aftermarket gauge. The stock boost gauge looks like it peaks to 8psi on the vid. I was looking at my autometer and saw just a hair over 5psi. :dunno:

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I don't know. I've been driving this dang Protege around for so long I don't know what a fast car really supposed to feel like. I know it's faster than my Protege.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Thanks D. I'll be calling you today. We have the same days off for the next three days. Let's get that head put back together.

suprastroker88, I have no clue what kind of power this car is putting down. I have a long way to go to getting this thing fine tuned and have some real numbers to display both dyno and dragstrip.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
P&P head.
Ebay manifold.
Lexus AFM.
Autolite #3922 plugs.
550cc injectors.
Walbro fuel pump.
TRD pressure plate.

I have a MAP ECU, but haven't really messed with it yet. I plan on eliminating the AFM. I'm going to get a wideband to monitor the A/F ratios, and try to street tune it the best I can.
HKS EVC III boost controller, but it's not hooked up right now. Don't want to raise the boost without monitoring the fuel ratios.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Very old dry rotted Goodyear GSC's. 225/50/16 front, 240/50/16 rear and rolling on a spare... on the rear! :3d_frown:

I need to buy new tires, but I'm poor. I can't afford any right now.

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
Suprapowaz!(2);1739338 said:
P&P head.
Ebay manifold.
Lexus AFM.
Autolite #3922 plugs.
550cc injectors.
Walbro fuel pump.
TRD pressure plate.

I have a MAP ECU, but haven't really messed with it yet. I plan on eliminating the AFM. I'm going to get a wideband to monitor the A/F ratios, and try to street tune it the best I can.
HKS EVC III boost controller, but it's not hooked up right now. Don't want to raise the boost without monitoring the fuel ratios.

how much boost are you running and where do you see full boost? I'm curious because I want to see if it'll be worth it for me to go with a t4 setup or stick with my sp61gt dbb bolt-on turbo

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
It's running 8psi off the wastegate spring. I haven't really paid too much attention, but I wanna say it's all there around 3700 RPM. I'll have to double check to make sure.
If I were to do it all over again I'd for a bolt on turbo cause I'm not really aiming to high as far as RWHP goes. Bolt on turbos have taken people on up to 550rwhp. Maybe more.