A hard time finding a head

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
So i just wanted to know, has anyone been through as many heads as me? My first head overheated and as a result of bad maching ended its life, second one had an enormus crack found only after it had been professionaly cleaned, third was entirely to warped had already been milled too much, fourth one had cam journals completly gouged out and was warped beyond all and was 1mm under minimum thickness.

I got to know guys im at the end of my wits, these have all been aquired over the last two and a half months, ive spent anywhere from $75-$145 for each of them... Where in the hell do you guys find usable heads, and who do you get to service them?!?!?! Keep inmind that my lonely ol built shortblock has been hanging around for about 8 months waitng for a head, thats why im asking haha.

Thanks guys

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
IJ.;1375761 said:
I checked 5 different heads before biting the bullet and buying a new one when I built my 7M :(
Im contacting champion toyota to get a qoute now, if its not to bad im doing it!

hvyman;1375862 said:
http://www.headsonly.com/toyota.htm

try there. i got one from there nice and clean. there already rebuilt.
Your guys dont have to bad of a price either, im checking on a new one if its to much, then im calling them.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I picked mine up off eBay. It was bare, but completely clean, no warpage/cracks/annealing/etc. It was a VERY lucky find...got it for $140 USD shipped to my door. They're on there once in a while though.

Things to check/ask when buying a second hand head:
Cracks (pressure tested?)
Warped (top AND bottom...you don't want a banana head that you can't fit your cams into)
Annealing (hardness tested?)
Thickness (if it's already been machined, can you even make up for the material taken away with a thicker head gasket?)

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
TheNewRed;1376070 said:
Shit, toyota only does bare heads at $1300...
Are you still located in Lima ohio?

Im closer to the dayton area, Ive got 4 or 5 heads in the garage and I know for a fact 3 are good. Then I have a buddy whos got at least 10.

Send me a PM if your interested, I don't know about you but stuff like heads and more serious used parts I hate buying online because one persons' idea of "perfect" condition is the complete opposite of your own.