A few questions

againstdawall06

Dec 8, 2005
mo
Well i got a new supra about a week ago, with a rebuilt motor, has great oil pressure. but when the shop rebuilt it, they just tourqed it to spec. im going to replace the valve cover gaskets. so my question is,

is it a good idea to retourqe head bolts? i have arp head studs sitting around, can i install them while leaving the head on?

also im looking into getting new shocks and springs(my shocks are blown) how stiff are eibachs and kybs.? i want something a little bit stiffer then stock, but not too back breaking. i was thinking the tanabe springs. any opinions? i searched a lil but havent found anything real informative, thanks.

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
i would think redoing your studs 1 at a time is ok.. ?? Someone correct me.

If you took out a stud, chased and cleaned the threads, and then put the arp in to the same spec the previous stud was at, and repeated with all, and THEN torqued them down to the ARP specs, I'd think you'd be fine.

But wait until a pro like IJ or Doward or somethin comes in here and verify's :p

againstdawall06

Dec 8, 2005
mo
I was kinda hoping someone with experiance or a guro would post in this thread. Any takers? Im doing my valve cover gaskets later today when i wake up. Is it even possible to do this without taking the cams off?

F_T_F

C2H5OH
Nov 12, 2006
fort fun, colorado
oh my god your dumb. lets try this again take a 19mm socked and turn the engine to TDC take all the necessary parts to get access to the valve cover ie the upper intake. untorque the head holds as it sez in the tsrm or go to pep boys and buy a $15 hayns repair manual. the tsrm is on line that means FREE. pull the head bolts out. drop the head bolts in with the alen wrence key facing out and screw them in. them re torque them following the pattern used before. good luck dont think too hard

F_T_F

C2H5OH
Nov 12, 2006
fort fun, colorado
just so were clear you use a 5mm allen wrench to screw the stud into the block FINGER TIGHT then drop the washer on to the stud then the nut which uses a 12 point 14mm deep well socket. and yes the cams can remain on

Last edited:

againstdawall06

Dec 8, 2005
mo
The thing is, im afraid taking the tourqe off the head gasket will somehow alow the gasket to blow. Its not that i didnt want you help, its that i dont now how reputable you are. I dont want to end up messing up my headgasket and having to do that as there is some other work i want to do first. I know about the TSRM as i have used it many times, and i can read the instructions on the ARPs. Now if your going to be ignorant and call me dumb? Then no, i really dont want your help, but thanks anyways.

Last edited: