A Few Questions about my Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOUBL3 D

Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Chesterfield,MO
www.facebook.com
Alright guys, I was going to post this stuff in my build thread but will probably just link it to that thread as it will get more traffic here.

As some of you know I'm swapping a Soarer Non-VVTI 1JZ into my pre-89 MA71 (5 speed). So far the only parts I have are as follows

-Pre89 crossmember swap brackets
-New motor mounts
-2JZ waterpump, rear housing, and pulley (still need the O-ring I think)
-Intercooler core
-R154 JZ bellhousing
-Mk4 Throttle Cable
-Oil pressure sender adapter
-Power Steering hose

K20maniac is supposed to ship the last three but I'm still waiting on tracking numbers.

Regardless this still means I need to get the car running with the motor

-1JZ flywheel and bolts
-New clutch (I'm just going to go OEM as I will be on twins for awhile)
-Timing and Serpentine belt
-Radiator hoses
-New oil cooler (does the MA71 stocker work?)
-New Spark Plugs
-JZ bellhousing bolts
-Power steering reservoir
-2.5" intercooler piping
-Vent to atmosphere BOV
-Down pipe and possibly Y-pipe (I've heard this kills the twins faster, leads to boost spike, and isn't worth the gains?)
-Extension of body plugs
-Either electric fans or fan clutch/blade (Issue here is that I have an aftermarket Fluidyne Radiator)

My two biggest reasons for the post are

1) What needs to be done to the wiring harness on the 1JZ to make it work? I know this sounds a bit juvenile but wiring is the one thing that I'm new to, and I've searched everywhere I can for the past week trying to get research on doing so. I'm the kind of person that needs to see exactly what the person is talking about, it's just how I learn. To be clear my ECU plugs aren't getting extended, only the body plugs.I understand that they need to be lengthened by 18" and that you need part of the 7M harness to do it. What part of my harness will I need when doing this? I will probably have to buy another 7M harness to do it as the car is my daily.

2) I want to run a fan clutch setup but am not sure I can because of my aftermarket radiator. I know this is a dead horse but I've searched everywhere and some people claim it's fine and others claim that it can cause massive carnage. It gets pretty hot here in Missouri during the summer and I'm not sure electric fan will cut it. Anyone with advice please advise

Also, I know my motor came from an automatic Soarer, is there anything else that needs to be done to make this work with the R154? I've also heard that the stock tachometer on a pre-89 won't work with a 1JZ unless something is done.

I would also like to keep ABS, power steering, and eventually AC (it won't be hot enough to need it for five months so I'll worry about that later).

I don't want this to sound like a SOB post but I want to make sure I know EXACTLY what were doing when we tackle the swap. The more you know right? Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Will

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
Ill have a flywheel and a stage 3 pressure plate prob bye the end of next week when I get my motor out. Ill pm you as soon as their out

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
My advice would to be to buy another radiator.

I live in AZ and im running a fan clutch with a koyo stock replacement and its a close fit im running a 7m 10 blade fan with ls400 clutch

My buddy is running a big radiator on his 1JZ stock twins @ 18psi fully bolted with a big 16inch electric fan with no issues of over heating. But he also has a vented vis hood.

These cars are used hard and quite often

Scott 88-1JZ

Dec 9, 2007
California
I recalled some talk about clutch and fan set ups for the 1jz. Apparently the thinnest combos are the sc300 and 2jzge fan or even thinner combo ls400 clutch with stock 7m fan (which turbo habanero mentioned). I searched for the info and found this for you to read. I am currently on fluidyne radiator with the dual spal electric fan combo. I haven't overheated yet but my car lives in nice weather with no stop and go traffic of any sorts. YMMV.

Your ABS will work if you are keeping your current trans as the sensor for the abs computer is attached to the trans. I believe there may be some wiring involved as well between the two computers. The wiring guide you found should have the answers to that. Another option is to send your harness to Dr. Tweak.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...urements-JZ-engine-please&highlight=fan*+2jz*

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
DOUBL3 D;1909654 said:
Anyone else have any experience running an aftermarket radiator with a fan clutch setup?
Ran one on my 7m (stock 7m fan stuff) with a PWR. Never had any issues. When I switched to the 1j, there was absolutely no way you'd fit a JZ and PWR with a mechanical cooling system in place.

If you have to run an electric fan setup, I would suggest getting something from an OEM setup. Personally, I picked up a Ford dual electric fan setup from a Contour, that had been used on a Supra previously. Rated at something like 3500cfm IIRC, should be plenty considering that the cheap Mishimoto fan setup I've had for the past few years does alright as long as the ambient temps aren't 100°+...

DOUBL3 D

Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Chesterfield,MO
www.facebook.com
te72;1911535 said:
Ran one on my 7m (stock 7m fan stuff) with a PWR. Never had any issues. When I switched to the 1j, there was absolutely no way you'd fit a JZ and PWR with a mechanical cooling system in place.

If you have to run an electric fan setup, I would suggest getting something from an OEM setup. Personally, I picked up a Ford dual electric fan setup from a Contour, that had been used on a Supra previously. Rated at something like 3500cfm IIRC, should be plenty considering that the cheap Mishimoto fan setup I've had for the past few years does alright as long as the ambient temps aren't 100°+...

I was looking at the mishimotos on DM's website. Do you know what they flow?

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
No I have fluidlyne too. I misread it I thought you where talking about radiators. Why don't you use the q45 or whatever fans they have like 3 settings and push around 3400cfms I not more. It's around $30 from picknpull

TweakTech

Apr 3, 2012
Summerville, SC
DOUBL3 D;1912599 said:
Would it be worth trying to trade for a JZA70 harness?

Nope, still requires converting. 1JZs into MA70s are not like a Soarer 1JZ into an SC where all you need to do is repin it and extend it (in additional to adding in a few circuits) You're still going to have to spend some time doing the wiring so that everything still works.

-Cam, Tweak'd Performance

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
DOUBL3 D;1912373 said:
I was looking at the mishimotos on DM's website. Do you know what they flow?
Not nearly enough. At least not with a bigger radiator (which is effectively a heat sink if your fan isn't up to the task). Only reason I get away with it at all is due to the climate here. ;)

Another reason to go with an OEM system from a good car? Dealerships HATE doing warranty work. Hence, they usually have good parts from the factory so they don't need to. ;)

DOUBL3 D;1912518 said:
I'm looking at them online. Is there a thread about e fans anywhere on SM?
Nope, this is the first I've seen on the subject. :p

Seriously though, there are dozens of other threads for certain. Most seem to end on the consensus that if you can run a mechanical setup (clutch fan, hydrofan), then do. If you can't run a mechanical setup, adapt an OEM setup from something that will work.

DOUBL3 D

Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Chesterfield,MO
www.facebook.com
te72;1915097 said:
Not nearly enough. At least not with a bigger radiator (which is effectively a heat sink if your fan isn't up to the task). Only reason I get away with it at all is due to the climate here. ;)

Another reason to go with an OEM system from a good car? Dealerships HATE doing warranty work. Hence, they usually have good parts from the factory so they don't need to. ;)

Nope, this is the first I've seen on the subject. :p

Seriously though, there are dozens of other threads for certain. Most seem to end on the consensus that if you can run a mechanical setup (clutch fan, hydrofan), then do. If you can't run a mechanical setup, adapt an OEM setup from something that will work.

I'd love to run a mechanical setup I just don't want to have to buy another radiator as the Fluidyne I have is awesome. Time to hit the books :(

Status
Not open for further replies.