A few problems I need help with

Dachande

Arrrrrr Matey
Apr 3, 2005
South Carolina
Alright, first problem

1. No brake lights (all other lights function fine, bulbs are okay)
I don't have any brake lights, and the tail light failure light doesn't light up until I apply pressure to the pedal. This happened for a few days, and then my brake lights started working on their own. A day afterward they no longer work and the problem still exists.
I've checked the bulbs and wiring. I pulled out the yellow box on the tail light and inspected it for corrosion or soldering that had broken. It looks normal, but the junkyards near me have no Supra so I cannot buy one to swap in.

2. Starting problem
This problem has been plaguing me for over a year now and I have gone through 4 starters under warranty. The car will sometimes not start, even if I have just been driving and turn it off. It clicks and nothing. Sometimes it takes 3 key turns, sometimes it doesn't start after 50 key turns and I let it sit and come back to it and it may start.
Things I've replaced/checked
a. battery
b. battery wires
c. checked all grounds and tightened one that was loose
I'm kind of stumped as one day it will start without a hitch, and the next day I may be left stranded for half an hour. Replacing the starter does seem to remedy the problem for a couple weeks.

3. I was driving down the road at normal speed when the check engine light came on. From that point forward sometimes the car will cut out and bog down under boost. This happens anywhere from 2lbs to 7lbs, in any gear. Sometimes the car will not experience the bogging down, but I'd say about 90% of the time it will. The car has full exhaust, intake, and bosch bypass valve.
I've replaced the wires/spark plugs (regular maintenance, anyway), and I don't seem to have a boost leak as the boost gauge reads vacuum fine.
However, the car is pulling codes 12 and 34, but I don't have the money to go and buy these parts outright if I don't need to replace them.

Any help or experience with any of these issues would be greatly appreciated as they need to be fixed asap.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
The brake lights not working sounds like either a bad ground or the brake light switch attached to the brake pedal is bad. I can look in TEWD (for ground point and switch) as long as you do the same deal? If the lights work when the headlight are on and just the "brake" lights dont come on or work I would think it is the switch it self is bad.

Regarding your “classic” supra not starting, it just clicks” I am going to have to point you to the search button as this covered again last week for the 1000 time. (hint look at your old ass, 20 year old wiring)

Last well it looks like something is up with your CPS but I am no expert on reading codes and what needs to get fixed.
IIRC, code 34 shows up when you reach fuel cut( boost about preset limit) it’s a safety thing so you don’t “blow the welds on your manifold” LOL. But if you have no money to replace a broken sensor I don’t know what you are going to do. Ride bicycle until you have saved up some $$$ .

GL
-Rob

Dachande

Arrrrrr Matey
Apr 3, 2005
South Carolina
Adding the relay seemed to have fixed my starting problem, and I found a broken ground while I was fiddling around down there. It fixed my screwy stock temperature gauge :)
I'll take a look at the brake switch on the pedal itself and the CPS wiring next.

snake eyes

Dec 21, 2005
katy, tx
www.myspace.com
also something to concider that may be bad is the soldering connection from the cps to the wiring harness. Over time it goes bad, many people (myself included) just solder the wires and skip the connector. If you have a supra buddy with a known good one around have him come over and swap cps's and see if the problem happens again

<l><l>