A/F ratio tuning

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Just for reference, here's my general tune:

Idle: 15:7 to 16:7
City Driving: All over the place...
Cruise: 15:7 to 16:2 (this typically gets me 28.6 mpg)
WOT: 12:0 to 12:3 till 4000 RPM, then 11:5 to Redline

Setup: Maft Pro in Speed Density

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
In the link on the first page Supracentral mentioned tuning to Vf. What exactly does this mean? Is that saying to basically let the ECU handle the tune in closed loop and only tune above 4000 RPM with a piggyback? For example, I just purchased an SAFC II which has 12 RPM points that can be set. So theoretically I could set them evenly from 4000 to 6800 and only worry about tuning there since in closed loop the engine ECU will just keep adjusting itself back to 14.7. Am I correct, or am I misunderstanding how this works?
-AM3

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Nope. You got it.

Let the ECU handle closed loop operation and only tune for WOT. The stock ECU can add and subtract as much as 25% of fuel. That's a force to be reckoned with!

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Not to hijack a thread but I am having some serious challenges in tuning mine. Running an HKS Fcon, and VPC.
Idle runs safe at 11 only. Anything else is on verge of stalling.
City is all over the place
Cruising is around 14-15 jumping around a bit
WOT is 10.

I have tried to make adjustments, but nothing seems to be working. All my mods are in the Sig below.
Also when the car is cold I have to turn the VPC idle clockwise to the 2 o'clock position. When it is warm I have to run it around the 10 o'clock position. Otherwise it bumps and wants to stall out.
I will try and make a vid tomorrow sometime of it. I need to find a passenger willing to ride with a camera first though.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
91Supra313;1827364 said:
Not to hijack a thread but I am having some serious challenges in tuning mine. Running an HKS Fcon, and VPC.
WOT is 10.

Probably need to pull some fuel, idle is quite rich. Do you have a AFPR? What's you fuel pressure at?

I have tried to make adjustments, but nothing seems to be working. All my mods are in the Sig below.
Also when the car is cold I have to turn the VPC idle clockwise to the 2 o'clock position. When it is warm I have to run it around the 10 o'clock position. Otherwise it bumps and wants to stall out.
I will try and make a vid tomorrow sometime of it. I need to find a passenger willing to ride with a camera first though.

What's your fuel pressure at?

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Cajunkenny with the speed density have you ever tried to tune idle and closed loop cruising ?

Or do you just let the Tccs do its business and tune for 70% or more throttle?

When i ran a Safc I set my throttle points for %75 throttle or more but messed with the fuel map as low as 2500rpm.

I figured that going above %75 throttle I would more then likely be going full throttle and in this case be out of the headache that VF can cause while tuning.

Also on a side note is there a point to having a VF gauge if you have a wideband?
To my understanding there is not correct?

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
Turbo Habanero;1831805 said:
Cajunkenny with the speed density have you ever tried to tune idle and closed loop cruising ?

When i ran a Safc I set my throttle points for %75 throttle or more but messed with the fuel map as low as 2500rpm.

I figured that going above %75 throttle I would more then likely be going full throttle and in this case be out of the headache that VF can cause while tuning.

Also on a side note is there a point to having a VF gauge if you have a wideband?

The Vf gauge won't tell you what the A/F is only what the ecu is doing to the fuel. It is scary that I remember the Jeff M Vf gauge I didn't know I was that old. The Vf signal is the ecu saying hey I am taking fuel out or I am adding fuel or everything is fine right now. The fact is that it is consistantly changing back and forth and just from what I have read in the TCCS disassembly thread there are quite a few fuel tables for different parameters. So if you had the LED Vf gauge it would be banging back and forth during regular driving and takes a trained eye to understand what it is telling the operator.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
91Supra313;1827364 said:
WOT is 10.

I'm sure you've checked, but make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks. Before tuning mine, I went ahead and replaced all of the vacuum lines just to make sure I didn't have any. You can double check all of your intercooler piping as well.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington

After reading MANY results of closed loop tuning attempts, I chose to spend my time elsewhere. The benefits are small and in a lot of cases, folks went back to letting the ECU take care of it. That said, I have tuned in a slightly leaner cruise.

IMO, tuning to Vf is a waste of time because of how much fuel the ECU can swing and therefore see no need for a Vf gauge.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
suprahero;1832031 said:
I'm sure you've checked, but make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks. Before tuning mine, I went ahead and replaced all of the vacuum lines just to make sure I didn't have any. You can double check all of your intercooler piping as well.
I have all new Vac lines, and the IC pipes are all nice and snug. I will be rechecking it this weekend since I am about to upgrade to a T70 setup.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
^Unless there's a problem with your current turbo, you may want to consider getting your current setup working 100% before adding another variable. Just a thought...

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
I need an AFPR. I have an upgraded fuel system but a stock regulator and j tube still there. Thankfully I have the VPC to help keep things a little in check.

roadboy

Supra Owner
Jan 22, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
just wondering, when im at around 30% throttle going into boost (2500rpm) my af ratio is around 11-13. is this normal? should i set my hi-lo setting lower on my SAFCII? currently its at 68-69

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
CajunKenny;1832676 said:
I know... ;)

Seems like you work with electronics and should get it.

Closed loop is when the computer is responding to its own control. That is done for one reason, and one only, to keep the catalytic converter in its optimum range, which is 14.7:1. You can't tune it out, it wants to be there.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Nick M;1832810 said:
Seems like you work with electronics and should get it.

Yep. One of the big reasons closed loop cannot be reliably and easily tuned with piggybacks is because most, if not all (including the Maft Pro) come on line after the TCCS.