A crack in an exhaust port = useless head?

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
Hello,
when I started porting my exhaust ports today I found a small crack :( What do I do now? Is the head useless?

Here is a picture:
32844841.jpg

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
id clean it up and sand that area a bit (ie start the port and polish process) and see if its just a surface crack or if it goes deeper. could possible be welded. if not then it will need to be replaced.

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
the port process started before I took that pic. So I have already tried to grind it down.
The ports were black before and that's why I didnt see the crack until now.
The crack continues out to the manifold mating surface and stops where the black ring stops.
I'll try and take a better pic the next time.

This is bad news :(

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
Worst case, it will weld up easily. Given that it's at the edge of a casting, it will both be easy to prepare and weld and not introduce any real stresses into the casting. So don't stress out about it. If you get it welded, you can get the manifold surface machined too.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Could be signs of a weak head. Migh be better to find another one. There not much either.

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
hvyman, that's a good point.
Since I'm spending a lot of my hard earned money (still in school, working mostly during the summer break = not so much money) I don't want this to fail due to a shortcut.
I picked up another head yesterday which is in far better condition overall and no cracks :) But the exh. studs are thrashed, so they will be helicoild.
I will keep the old head and weld it myself when I have access to some better equipment.

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
I wonder how many here have any actual experience with anything to do with engines? It will cost $40 or so to get that welded and another $40 or so to have the exhaust face machined.
As for a sign of a bad head, nonsense.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I'd get it hardness tested to see if the head has annealed. Granted, the exhaust ports are going to always be the worst, but not a bad idea to get the rest of it checked out. Last thing you want is cracks between the combustion chamber and coolant passages :(.