A/C PROBLEMS?

joeytvr

Apr 3, 2007
Louisiana
I put a new compressor on my car and it does not cycle at all. Compressor turns on with a/c control but does not cycle. Car sat up a while during the rebuild and the compressor locked up. So I put the new on on and was like awsome she cools great. then I noticed it was not cycling,

Any thoughts?

joeytvr

Apr 3, 2007
Louisiana
yes I have a set of flexalite fans on the car.

It cools really weel. However with cmpressor not cycling it frezes up after a while

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
I'm confused at what your saying. Is it just not cycling off?
I can't remember what type of system it is, CCTXV or CCOT. I am thinking TXV?
Did the compressor come with a clutch? It could not have enough clearance wich would cause it to be always engaged.

joeytvr

Apr 3, 2007
Louisiana
yes it is just not tuning off. The compressor was off a used car. Also the clutch works because if you turn off the ac switch it disengauges.

Wheres the low temp cut off switch and how to test it?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
How do you know it's freezing? What's the low side pressure? What is center vent temp with fresh air, medium blower, fast idle, and windows open?

My other question is why would you expect a TXV system to cycle, especially during a Louisiana summer. Did you try bluepearl's suggestion?

Sounds like the expansion valve is bad or the sensing bulb has come off the evap outlet resulting in a loss of superheat.The low temp thermistor should still shut it down though. It's also in the evap box but you can check it at the AC amplifier. None of these jobs are easy. If I were you I'd be looking at low side pressure before tearing into anything.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
What exactly does it do when you leave it on for a while? No air out of the vents?
Also, like Jetjock said a low side pressure reading would help but chances are you don't have a mifold guage set.
I wish i still had my AC system so i could tell you where the low pressure cutoff switch is.

Jetjock, do we have an evaporator fin temp sensor?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
http://tinyurl.com/yw3plx

Feeds evap temp to the amplifier. One of a few signals that'll kill the comp clutch. It's been so long since I've been in there I don't recall if it has actual contact with the evap but I'm assuming it does. Then again according to the link above it appears to be removable without cracking the evap housing so I dunno.

True, he likely doesn't have a manifold set, but there's always those rinky-dink low side gages sold for checking. Finding one with decent markings could be a challenge though.