A big decision... to sale, or not to sale

salomon68

welkin
Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
Hey guys! If any of you don't mind helping me out, I would really appreciate it. I need some help with deciding whether to sale my Supra or not.

Here's the situation:
I'm an engineering student who just got a great internship this summer, and it pays. It's local too, so I'll be staying at home (where my Supra is at). My mom keeps telling me that if it was her, she would sell it, and buy a nice used and dependable car (blah blah blah :: angry :: lol)

About my Supra:
- 87 NA, auto, targa top, TEMS, 146k original miles, third owner, has creme and brown two-tone interior that is in surprisingly good shape.
- professionally rebuilt tranny and 7M-GE engine (I know, big mistake lol I was young and stupid)
- re-lined gas tank, new Walbro fuel pump and fuel filter
- new radiator
- all new rubber under the hood (hoses)
- new rotors, calipers, pads, and ss brake lines
- rebuilt brake master cylinder

Still needs:
- new shocks, springs
- targa top and hatch seals
- a good detail job
- re-leathered seats
(I have some really nice hookups for getting the detailing and leather done CHEAP)

The car was a gift from my uncle (had a blown head gasket and engine was in BAD shape). I've sunk about 5k into it, maybe slightly less. I'm worried about dependability with this internship and going back to school in the fall. Even after completing it, I don't wanna have to be sinking more and more money into it, not as a college student, but with all the work done, I don't wanna get rid of it lol.

So, realistically, how much could I get for it given it's in top condition? That's including finishing the shocks, springs, leather, detailing, etc. and breaking the engine in.

It's like a fucking break up :love:

Scott 88-1JZ

Dec 9, 2007
California
That is always a hard decision. It really depends what your plans are in the long run. I would think after the engine and trans rebuild (along with your other work) it should be pretty reliable other than little things like alternators and starters going out. The pic in your avatar looks good and it would be sad to get rid of a nice looking car. Good luck with your new internship and school.

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
you could either buy a cheap dd, and keep the supra. Or since u did the most expensive things and know they are good, keep the supra and DD it can be reliable if everything has been done right.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
I think if it were me I'd get my self a "DD" At least you would have a back up car, if you "DD' crapped out. Your uncle would be mad at you if you sold his car that he once enjoyed. I'd store it, keep it and work on when you can. Your not that far from a real nice clean car with low miles. But also keep in mind that anything can go wrong with any "DD that your mom wants you to buy.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Koenigturbo;1669041 said:
I think if it were me I'd get my self a "DD" At least you would have a back up car, if you "DD' crapped out. Your uncle would be mad at you if you sold his car that he once enjoyed. I'd store it, keep it and work on when you can. Your not that far from a real nice clean car with low miles. But also keep in mind that anything can go wrong with any "DD that your mom wants you to buy.

This. You've already put this much effort into it, why stop now? Just pick up a used early 90's econo-car (Civics and Corollas come to mind, Subarus, etc) for ~$2000 (which is about all you'd realistically get for an n/a auto Supra anyway), park the Supra, and have a backup car that's cool. :)

roystunna

May 27, 2009
USA
A clean NA should get you around 3.5k depending on your area, Its hard to get rid of these cars, Ive had supras for a while now and every time i get rid of one, i somehow end up with another. Mind you i dont have to drive anywhere to work, so my supra gets zero commute miles, but if it isnt in your blood, just sell it and move on. The only way you will really know is when ur sitting at a stop light in a "DD", and that sweet clean supra pulls up next to you that looks perfect in every direction, sound from the exhaust note just right, ahhh......and pulls off with you still staring at its rear end, then by all means get another one. If not, then that road has come to an end for you.

salomon68

welkin
Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
Damn. lol Thanks guys, really. I'm definitely gonna finish it cause the cost of what's left to do would be worth the extra money I would get back when I sell it, or if I sell it. I guess we'll see what happens when I start driving it. I do have a 98 Corolla I use for school (an extra family-owned car), which I could use through the summer. I'm just ready for my own ride.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Nothing on that list of things it needs will leave you stranded. You already know what's been replaced on the car and if you trust the workmanship, it's going to be reliable. So your mom wants you to sell it and get another car that's used and of questionable reliability...

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Keep some cash on the side for repairs and keep an eye on everything on the car to minimize surprises and you'll be fine driving an older import like that. I drove a 93 eclipse turbo for 10 years (most of the time it was my only car) till it had over 200,000 miles on it and in those 10 years I had maybe 3 weeks total downtime, and only got towed 3 times. Blew the trans 3 times from abusing it. Never left me sitting for any other reason, and I kept spare clutches and transmissions on hand to minimize downtime. The last time it happened the transmission blew at 5pm, got it towed to my garage by 6pm, and had it back on the road with a different trans by 8pm.... by myself.

I can see this same thing happening with my supra once it's running. Hopefully I'll have the cash for an R154 swap once the W58 blows (and I know it will, sooner or later, hopefully later... but probably not).

So if you're slightly mentally disturbed like I am, you can use the supra as a daily and have it reliable.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Honestly i would just daily drive it. You have all the expensive break downs out of the way.. and if something does get this car off the road you have the corolla you can borrow.

I know i wouldn't be able to sell mine..

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
Enough people have already said it but I will say it again. If you have another car you can drive if something breaks on the Sup', Keep the Sup and fix everything as you have the money. Just be careful. Supras can be addictive! I have two and neither one even runs atm:

p1669572_1.jpg

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Poodles;1669170 said:
Nothing on that list of things it needs will leave you stranded. You already know what's been replaced on the car and if you trust the workmanship, it's going to be reliable. So your mom wants you to sell it and get another car that's used and of questionable reliability...

I agree

89TurboPC

May 10, 2007
Beach Cities, SoCal
I own 2 supras (85 and 89T) for almost 20 years. It can either be expensive to own one or little to nothing.
In the first couple years I have the 89T, I tried to fix every thing that "doesn't sound/perform right", I end up spent a lot of money. Simply because I don't want to call a tow truck on my 80 miles daily commute.
I the past 5 years, I only fix it when it break. I end up saving a lot of money, because it doesn't really break, it just "doesn't sound right". It can get you from point A to B and beat a civic at the same time without breaking.

Things that you listed will not need to worry about calling a tow truck. Keep it and save the cash.

I did have people offer to buy mine for $3500. I just told them I won't sell it for $10K. Just hope that the car still look and perform like it should 12 yrs from now so I can happily give the key to my son. ;)

salomon68

welkin
Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
I think you guys have sold me... I have always had big plans for this car and I've driven an 89 before, and it was an experience like none other. My cashflow chart will be fairly simple at least lol all money -> Supra

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
These things are money pits, but I wouldn't have it any other way most days. It's all a bit of perspective. I've probably spent ~15k on my current car (kinda quit adding up my costs once I hit ~12k), but I'm pulling all the good stuff off my current shell (got t-boned a long long time ago and never was quite *right*, remember to car fax these things!) and swapping it over to a really clean 87. So... if I don't consider what I've spent on my current car, I'm swapping over probably ~6k or so worth of parts. :D

So my next one MIGHT hit 15-20k, but shop around the used market a bit, what does 15-20k get you, a Kia? :dunno:

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
It's a rebuilt 7mge...it will last forever if it was done correctly. And yes I DD'd my Supra when it was a 7mge to college, the whole time. Never gave me shit, then again I know how to turn a wrench.

I would DD it and save up for a beater, you can grab a civic now for like 1k and it will be perfect for a beater. You won't get your 5grand back either, I say keep it.

PCguylovesSupra

Happy go lucky......
Jun 18, 2007
Southwest MI
I say keep it. I have owned the same 87 for the past 18 years. Growing up I always heard my dad and uncle talk about cars they wished they never sold and still had, for me the supra is it, I will never sell it. Every year I try to get something done. Just ask yourself in 10 years will you look back and go DAMN I wish I still had it, or go no big deal, that will give you your answer.