A 88 Turbo Virgin here. Please help.

MERCiLESS

Hello to everyone. I recently joined your site because I recently (as in two days ago) became an owner of a 1988 3.0L T 7M (I think). It has some mods already installed but it has been sitting down for over a year now without being started.

After installing a new battery, putting $10 worth of good gas and a bottle gas/carb cleaner we got the engine to turn over and to the point where it's idling on its own. When trying to drive the car it keeps trying to shut off, some smelly black smoke is coming out of the pipes but I'm hoping that's from the downtime.

The previous owner who is now too busy to help me had the Cat removed and have 3" pipes directly to the exhaust. He says that he believer something is preventing the pressure from being released from the engine which is why it is hesitating as much as is it. The exhaust is pretty big and I can fit my big fist in there but can't tell if there is something that the neighborhood kids stuck in there. He keeps revving the hell out of the car hoping for something to blow out the pipes but I doubt that will solve anything.

Can anyone relate to this problem that they may have had and a potential solution? I live in Delaware and they're pretty strict about emissions so I'm going to get a new Cat. installed some time soon (need a tow). but if anyone can help that will be great. We also changed the Densos and replaced them with iridiums from HKS is it?

I'm new to the race car thing I've been a family car owner all my life not to mention I cannot drive stick (YET). Give me five hours and my own car and I'll get the hand of it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

MERCiLESS
(Soon I'll have to get a slogan) Maybe: Sticking it in less than 5 hours :)

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
First off I'd like to welcome you to the forums. Second, I'd say if you think there is something in the tail pipe shine a light up there and look. Nothing but a mouse will go up that pipe farther than you can see with a light, or just disconnect it at the down pipe. Also, is the CEL(check engine light) light on. If it is then pull some codes and let us know. To get the CEL codes just follow the procedure here

http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/fi/FI_023.html

And use a paper clip to jumper the terminals instead of their SST tool.

Also, what does it do when it dies? Does it go to a certain RPM or does it just sputter and die when you feed it a little throttle. The black smoke you speak of is most likely a rich condition of the air/fuel mixture. A large number of things can cause that. So get us a little more info and well see what we can do.

MERCiLESS

Dirgle,

Thank you for the welcome and the reply. The CEL is not on but I will double check and pull the codes if any as instructed.

It idles comfortably at around 650.

Before we added the gas, gas treatment, a quart of oil after changing the plugs and starting it with jumper cables it took a while before it was able to idle on its own but that's not a problem anymore.

I'll walk with a flashlight to look up into that tailpipe. Because I don't have the car in my posession yet I can't do much disconnecting and prodding.

When I take it to have the Cat. installed I'll ask them to check out that loss of pressure/power problem for me hoping that it don't cost an arm and a leg once diagnosed. If I can solve it on my own before then then great.

One question though, the PCV pipe that comes off of the throttle body between the 3000 pipe and the throttle linkage has two hoses connecting the the head of the engine, should those be tightly secured with clamps because they were quite loose when we were changing the plugs and slipped easily on and off but the previous owner said that was fine as it is any ideas?

Thanks for the feedback.

Disced

Pie + NYQuil = FTW
Apr 5, 2005
Edmonds, Wa
Those hoses could maybe affect the intake pressure reading. However, I would check all intercooler piping as stalling/stuttering while driving is mainly caused by this. You might want to get clamps on all hoses which don't have them as well.

P.S.

Don't get a cat installed; it won't help the performance of the car it won't make it any better, it helps the car!

Disced

Pie + NYQuil = FTW
Apr 5, 2005
Edmonds, Wa
haha... Well then; do what you need to do. But; you need to get your car running right before it will be remotely reliable/driveable. I am almost positive it is going to be a leak in the intercooler piping; for like 2 months everyone told me that was my problem and I thought I checked it over and over; but when I pulled off that peice that goes into the side of the car; it was completely cracked in half.

Good luck.

MERCiLESS

Hey Disced,

I clamped and tightened as many loose hoses I could find but that didn't eleviate the problem.

Hey Dirgle, I tried getting the error codes but I get a constand blinking check engine light with no breaks to determine a pattern. I removed and replaced the ground to reset the power, I even removed the fuse to reset the ECU. I know I read where someone else was experiencing the same problem so I will read up to see what they did and if anyone made any suggestions.

On the first two or three starts the engine idled up and down between 150 - 700 before it shut off itself. I guess the engine had to warm up or something for it to begin idling at around 650 with intermittent sputtering.

I'm not even getting as much hiss from the turbo's blow off valve as I used to anymore, not sure where all that pressure is going. I'm getting slight smoke kind of greyish from right around the downpipes so I'm assuming something is being leaked there.

I'll take the car to a mechanic later on this week and get a diagnostic and will report it to you all. Let's see what the results are and how long it'll take them to get it fixed. I can't wait to learn about this car so that I can work on it myself. I'm not much of anything that a daily driver when it comes to cars but I do intend to learn.

Thanks for the feedback and if you guys have any more input I'm all ears(well eyes in this sense).

IS THERE ANYONE HERE LIVING IN DELAWARE AND KNOWS A LOT? Maybe you can come over and help me out.

MERCiLESS.

CassMori

Boost Addict
MERCiLESS said:
I'm not even getting as much hiss from the turbo's blow off valve as I used to anymore, not sure where all that pressure is going.

does it still have the stock bypass valve? if so, iirc, there shouldn't be a hiss coming from it (i've never used the stock bypass, so I'm not entirely sure). It may have a leak........

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
ok tell us what you have

how much is stock how much is not

intake is it aftermarket, if it is then its ok to hear tha hiss, if not well you shouldnt
is the bypass valve stock
is the turbo elbow stock,

mileage?
what fluids
color of coolants, as in do you see oil in there
compression?
leeks or wet dreams in the garage
backfiring?
and color of smokes. white , blue, black, and do you smell gas , maple syrup, or lung stopping bad smell?

do you read boost on guage?

and perhaps some pics if you have the time, never know we might spot something with our eagle eyes

and most important of all,
welcome to the forums, btw this never stops we just keep fixing stuff so prepare you wallet.

MERCiLESS

Haha, just what I don't want the wife to read :).

Well I know for sure when looking at the engine head on that everything left of the 3000 pipe is not stock. There is a connector that goes into a 3" (I think) chrome pipe with what I think is the blow off valve that makes the hiss. That goes into an intercooler that is very much not stock.

I think that there are so many little mods on this car that it may no longer have any reference to the TSRM at least that's what the previous owner told me :)

Intake looks stock kind of dull gray/silver and rough? Not like the one in MA70.com's pictures of the intake plenum.

Not sure what the turbo elbow is (That may show how much I know).

Mileage is around 124K I think. I'll will double check all the fluids and their colors.

How do I determine combression, from inside the vehicle on the gauges?

As far as I can see there isn't much leaks and definitely no wet dreams.

Yes there is backfiring when I rev around 4000 to 5000 RPM Definitely get some backfiring.

I will take a picture of the smoke hopefully against a white shed so that you can better tell the color.

Yes there is boost on gauge I guess reving the engine should increase the boost, I'll try to take a picture with both if I can.

Thanks for all the info guys, I would definitely be even more loss than I already am without the great help that I am getting from you all.

BTW I'll have to check the "Junk Yard" (Parts for sale forum) for a passenger side tail light for the 88 or whatever year fits.

Thanks again and look forward to some pic, not sure if I can get them today beacause I spent all day yesterday tinkering with it and the wife wasn't jumping for joy about that if you know what I mean.

MERCiLESS

Well the owner is a friend of mine moving out of town and he kinda had to let it go. I paid 2k for it but considering all the work he's put into it it's definitely worth more than that.

Once I get her up and running good I intend on having her tuned as close to perfection as I can and just enjoy the hell out of her. When you guys see this car I think you'll love it from the off-set tires down to the ton of missing dash pieces and about a million scratches all over her azz.

Will post pictures hopefully no later than Wednesday.

7mgte3sgte

Wreckinyard scavenger
Apr 5, 2005
Boyd, Texas
home.earthlink.net
I had this same problem with my celica gt4 and it turned out to be the AFM a quick replacement helped out majorly since i had paid for a new exhaust system didnt help new fuel pump filter purge tank none helped then someone said hey check ur AFM and it was that if u need one i got a spare out in the garrage we can come to an arrangement on shipping and all reply back or email for further info

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
MERCiLESS said:
Well the owner is a friend of mine moving out of town and he kinda had to let it go. I paid 2k for it but considering all the work he's put into it it's definitely worth more than that.

Once I get her up and running good I intend on having her tuned as close to perfection as I can and just enjoy the hell out of her. When you guys see this car I think you'll love it from the off-set tires down to the ton of missing dash pieces and about a million scratches all over her azz.

Will post pictures hopefully no later than Wednesday.
holy crap 2k nice sounds like you have a nice car there, hope she starts actin like a supra should.

MERCiLESS

Hey 7mgte.... Thank you for the offer I really appreciate it. I will try again today to get a reading on the diagnostic box to see if I can verify for sure what the problem is. I wouldn't want to remove a perfectly good AFM and replace it if I don't have to.

I'll keep you all posted on the outcome. Anyone knows what to do if the check engine light just keeps flaghing without giving an error code pattern?

MERCiLESS

Well here are the images of the car. I shrunk them so if you need to see the BIG ones I can send them offline. I Finally got to take them today and it started to rain (lucky me).

Well I'm posting these pictures and hopefully you all can help me out and tell me what mods I have because I don't have a clue, all I see is a bunch of gadgets. If you see something off just let me know especially in the engine and with the fuel regulator (I think) in the glove box.

I have other engine shots in closer range if you want to see those I can send them offline as well just let me know which side (Facing the car) left, right, top or front.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 88Supra11.jpg
    88Supra11.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 88Supra12.jpg
    88Supra12.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 88Supra17.jpg
    88Supra17.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 88Supra18.jpg
    88Supra18.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 88Supra19.jpg
    88Supra19.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 38

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Well one thing that is not right, is your low coolant light(the bird cage light) is on. Fill up the coolant reservoir to make it go out. If you have already filled it up and the light came back on again you may have a BHG(blown head gasket). If the head gasket is blown it can tends to consume the coolant. Your oil pressure looks fine. As for what's on your steering column, that appears to be a Greddy turbo timer. It is a very good thing to have when you have a turbo vehicle. Make sure it's working properly. You also appear to have an aftermarket boost and EGT gauge. The EGT gauge tells you what the temperature of your exhaust gasses are at the manifold(or where ever the temp probe is located, should be at the manifold). Yours has a peak hold feature so it is a very good one. The boost gauge looks like a decent one to. That is about all I can tell from the pictures you've shown us. Now get some pictures of the engine compartment up and we'll try to tell you a little more.

MERCiLESS

Thank you dirgle. I didin't know what that light was for that's why I took the pic of it. My sattelite was out yesterday that's why I couldn't upload the others. Here goes engine and all, 5 at a time.

I hear someone talking about Toyota red coolant is that specific to these cars or any one would be fine?

Attachments

• 88Supra21.jpg
    88Supra21.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 88Supra22.jpg
    88Supra22.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 37
  • 88Supra24.jpg
    88Supra24.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 88Supra25.jpg
    88Supra25.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 88Supra27.jpg
    88Supra27.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 36

MERCiLESS

Other Pics.

Check out the Gas controller thing in the glove let me know if the positions look even somewhat good.

Attachments

• 88Supra29.jpg
    88Supra29.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 88Supra33.jpg
    88Supra33.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 88Supra39.jpg
    88Supra39.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 88Supra4.jpg
    88Supra4.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 88Supra47.jpg
    88Supra47.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

MERCiLESS

This should be the last of them I think. Hope this helps and if you guys see anything that's pretty obovious like that coolant light problem please let me know. Remember that I have the pictures larger than they are as well as others.

The very last picture is an image of what looks to be an ancient radar dector am I somewhat correct or does it actually serve a purpose?

Attachments

• 88Supra5.jpg
    88Supra5.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 88Supra6.jpg
    88Supra6.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 88Supra8.jpg
    88Supra8.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 39