'95-'00 Tacoma Corrosion Issues

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
I've kinda kept my eye on this story in the past weeks, and I don't even own a Tacoma.

It appears that a great number of 95-00 tacos are have rust and corrosion problems to the frame (not body). The upset is that the vehicles are not that old, yet are corroding and cracking worse then say a 1940s Ford pickup frame. Most interesting is what Toyota has decided to do about the 'problem'.
I know a lot of you probably own Taco's so if you haven't seen this, here ya go...

p996650_1.jpg

p996650_2.jpg

Article concerning it:
http://www.ohio.com/news/top_stories/17252894.html

Toyota PDF's concerning the problems:
http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95993

Last edited:

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Toyota is FTW, standing behind it's product like that.

That's confidence money can't buy.

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
funny thing is, i was looking at my frame on saturday, thinking to myself. Fuck, this frame shouldnt be this rusted, its only 10 years old. Thanks for the information. I havent got a letter yet, and maybe never will, but i checked out my VIN and it falls in to the vehicles covered. Again, thank you very much, this simple thread has probably saved me thousands of dollars and many sleepless nights.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I wonder if they'll send them to junkyards, or crush them. I'd be down for grabbing a rear E-locker from one of those bad boys.:naughty:

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
I have one of these, I'm taking it in next tuesday to have them check it out.

If this works out I might end up with enough spending money to get the supra done properly in a short time. and drive to vegas or something :)

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
The story I got was: the contractor that built the frames used metal that didn't meet the specs. Toyota won a lawsuit against them and that's part of why they're being so generous.