93 silverado battery drain

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
ok guys im pulling my hair out on this one..

i inherited my grandfathers old truck. it is a 93 silverado 5.7l v8 2wd longbox reg cab
power windows, locks.

it kills the battery when it is not driven for about 2 weeks. i have checked for parasitic loss, shorts and such. it has a new alternator, starter, starter harness. battery cables and battery. this thing has had many batteries and alternators thrown at it as this was a unsolvable issue when gramps was still around, his mechanic could not solve it, so he thew parts at it. if i disconnect the battery it does not drain.

tried connecting a amp meter to the battery cable(clamp style) to check for a draw and get no draw... checked for shorts to ground between the postitve cable and ground(pos disconnected) nothing...

im at a complete loss as to how to solve this... im tired of disconnecting the battery every time i park it for an extended period. if i drive it regularly there is no issue.

any ideas?

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
Disconnect the positive power wire from the battery and use an amp meter with one lead on the battery and one lead on the wire to measure the amperage draw. Than start pulling fuses until the amp draw goes away and that should point you in the right direction of what is draining the battery

Edit: sorry didn't read the entire post, no amp draw makes things more complicated something is intermittently drawing power at random

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Try to keep a connection when you pull the terminal for a parasitic draw test. Maybe something is shorting out or turining on a bit after the car turns off? Maybe mount a camera on your meter, do a draw test and let it sit for a few hours.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Was a bit of sarcasm in my last post, although it would probably "work", it isn't the right way to do it. Get her figured out yet?