92' Turbo Supra Suggestions

Chris13002

Sep 20, 2010
Maryland
Thank you...
Brought the car to Toyota and they were able to fix the "HELP" sign on my factory radio... Here is a scan with the instructions for anyone else having this issue...

radiojk.jpg

Chris13002

Sep 20, 2010
Maryland
I appreciate all the compliments and suggestions... Here is more of my restoration process...

Replaced brake pads/rotors and restored/balanced the rims...

Before...

After...

Repainted the windshield "cover" along with the wiper blades...

Before...

After...

Chris13002

Sep 20, 2010
Maryland
Audiophiles,
Only the two rear speakers are working now...
So I already disconnected the factory amp(underneath the passenger seat), and replacing it with a 4-channel 350 watt Kenwood Amp.
I read that the fronts are 4" and the rears are 5.25" which is an uncommon size... so I just decided to order a total of 4 4" speakers... might need an adapter but it should fit with less hassle...
Just ordered two sets of these...
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KFC1054/Kenwood-KFC-1054S.html?tp=102#Tab

My plan for now is to keep the stock radio, and try to hide the Kenwood amp underneath the passenger seat (like the old factory amp~ and hopefully it will fit) and just have these 4 speakers running...
Not a big sound system, but something to get me through my commute and keep me sane... Although I love the sound of the turbo, even though the stock one is really quiet, you can still hear it whine up and the blow-off valve a bit...

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Doh! Sorry so late to the party Chris... your 92 should have 6.5" speakers in the doors, 3" (IIRC) on the rear passenger shoulder area, and 5.25" in the rear location under the 1/4 windows.

A bit of work, and you can get some pretty nice speaker setups squeezed into stock locations. My advice? Focus on the front speakers. I'd cancel that order if you can. ;)

Chris13002

Sep 20, 2010
Maryland
te72;1843988 said:
Doh! Sorry so late to the party Chris... your 92 should have 6.5" speakers in the doors, 3" (IIRC) on the rear passenger shoulder area, and 5.25" in the rear location under the 1/4 windows.

A bit of work, and you can get some pretty nice speaker setups squeezed into stock locations. My advice? Focus on the front speakers. I'd cancel that order if you can. ;)

ahh, didn't know the fronts were 6.5"...
Haha, thanks, these are just cheap and very temporary speakers... We got a road trip as we are taking the car to Ocean City Md in a week for the car show and just need some audio for music...
I eventually have plans to upgrade to a much better audio system as I love audio with extreme highs and lows all sounding clear of course...
I just hope that everything isn't loose in the car and require 100lbs of dynomat to get that sound the way I want it...

Chris13002

Sep 20, 2010
Maryland
So the AC still works "good" but feel it can be colder... The automatic climate control works great and blows air at the required speeds until the target temperature is hit...
My friend mechanic says that i'll have to bring this to the dealership to get the AC recharged, as his recharging kit won't work...
The cars use a different setup for recharging the AC and he said there is a conversion kit for $50...

Is it worth considering?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Chris13002;1844043 said:
ahh, didn't know the fronts were 6.5"...
Haha, thanks, these are just cheap and very temporary speakers... We got a road trip as we are taking the car to Ocean City Md in a week for the car show and just need some audio for music...
I eventually have plans to upgrade to a much better audio system as I love audio with extreme highs and lows all sounding clear of course...
I just hope that everything isn't loose in the car and require 100lbs of dynomat to get that sound the way I want it...
Honestly, if you have a hardtop car that hasn't been molested, Dynamat shouldn't even be necessary. On my 88 (100% stock except for suspension), I had a stereo in it that you could turn the volume up loud enough to make YELLING at your passenger next to impossible. When at this volume, if you had the car turned on, all windows and doors closed, and stepped outside the vehicle, you didn't even know there was music playing inside the car. I'll remind you, this was with stock exhaust, very quiet. They were sound proofed VERY nicely from the factory.

Unfortunately, a lot of idiots have gutted their cars of the marginal amount of weight that the sound deadening adds, rather than laying off the fast food. :nono: So, you may or may not even have any of that material anymore. Now, my targa car, I don't know if they're all this way, or because mine was somewhat gutted and had been t-boned at one point, but you can hear music through the car with all the windows up and doors closed. Pretty easily at that, it drives me nuts sometimes.

Chris13002;1844050 said:
So the AC still works "good" but feel it can be colder... The automatic climate control works great and blows air at the required speeds until the target temperature is hit...
My friend mechanic says that i'll have to bring this to the dealership to get the AC recharged, as his recharging kit won't work...
The cars use a different setup for recharging the AC and he said there is a conversion kit for $50...

Is it worth considering?
All depends on where you live. Where I live, AC is nice to have, but not a necessity. When I lived in Phoenix though, if you didn't have AC, 4 months of the year, were hell.

Chris13002

Sep 20, 2010
Maryland
Everything is coming together and I am almost complete with the restoration...
Everything, including the intake, exhaust, suspension, even the antenna and wipers are still factory stock...
Only thing modified from the factory specs is the ARP Bolts and torque specs for the head gasket...
Also the two front windshield nozzle sprays aren't stock as Toyota was charging $28 per nozzle...

Traffic was horrible so to waste time, I decided to goto the roof of my jobs parking garage and make this video...
1 Ding in the hood still bothers me... :3d_frown:
[video=youtube_share;0URzdamGpBo]http://youtu.be/0URzdamGpBo[/video]

And here is another of the interior and functions... Just to show that everything still works...

[video=youtube_share;ZJt5Ki5pi8Y]http://youtu.be/ZJt5Ki5pi8Y[/video]

Last edited:

Chris13002

Sep 20, 2010
Maryland
Just got back from our Ocean City, Maryland Car Show trip as a caravan and here are some pics at the National Harbor...
The Supra runs perfect and am impressed in how much attention it still gets...

20120607121910.jpg

20120607121937.jpg

20120607122104.jpg

20120607122156.jpg

20120607122227.jpg

20120607122355.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Man, even with stock suspension, your car looks so low compared to the rest of those cars. Looks 3x better than any of them even as is. Funny how much cars have bloated in 20 years...

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
Welcome!! I also own a RED 92 Black leather interior... except I have a 1JZ... 6 speed... God I love this red & shadow gray combo (Black)

Chris13002

Sep 20, 2010
Maryland
te72;1847698 said:
Man, even with stock suspension, your car looks so low compared to the rest of those cars. Looks 3x better than any of them even as is. Funny how much cars have bloated in 20 years...
Haha thanks, this Supra was actually the slowest car of the group... Most of these other cars have most bolt on's and Stage 1 and 2 tuned...
They are all my friends and know how rare my car is so I wasn't ever trying to go for the 'fastest' and best but it wasn't no slouch either. It gave both the black cars (2006 RSX-S, 2012 Mustang V6) a pretty good run...
I wasn't there to race as I am keeping everything stock and still have a few more things to restore/fix up...

Jostar;1847724 said:
Welcome!! I also own a RED 92 Black leather interior... except I have a 1JZ... 6 speed... God I love this red & shadow gray combo (Black)
What 6-speed do you use? I know most have the 5-speed R-154 because it's a direct fit with no major fabrication involved...

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
Chris13002;1847785 said:
Haha thanks, this Supra was actually the slowest car of the group... Most of these other cars have most bolt on's and Stage 1 and 2 tuned...
They are all my friends and know how rare my car is so I wasn't ever trying to go for the 'fastest' and best but it wasn't no slouch either. It gave both the black cars (2006 RSX-S, 2012 Mustang V6) a pretty good run...
I wasn't there to race as I am keeping everything stock and still have a few more things to restore/fix up...

What 6-speed do you use? I know most have the 5-speed R-154 because it's a direct fit with no major fabrication involved...

a GETRAG V160, it came in the MKIV supras, No fabbing here.. thru bolt on...well...kinda lol

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Chris13002;1847785 said:
Meh, fast is relative, there will always be someone faster. I love having a car that you can't go to the dealership and buy anymore... Besides, I guarantee you were the most comfortable one that day. ;)

Chris13002;1847785 said:
Anything is a direct fit with a big enough swap hammer...

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
te72;1848077 said:
Meh, fast is relative, there will always be someone faster. I love having a car that you can't go to the dealership and buy anymore... Besides, I guarantee you were the most comfortable one that day. ;)

Anything is a direct fit with a big enough swap hammer...

I did not bang anything with a hammer my friend...thru bolt on..