92' Turbo Supra Suggestions

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
DHeath0013;1795907 said:
I had a very very bad experienced with this guy and got screwed. I've heard the same from others. I would not suggest dealing with him. If you must, don't expect refunds for any mistakes on his end.
You're likely in the minority sir.

To the OP, you have a sunroof too... lucky! Welcome to the addiction. What starts as "just a couple more HP" turns into something of an obsession for many of us. ;)

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Chris, just a warning.......your thread is about to turn into something you weren't looking for. DHeath is going to beat to death by people standing up for Aaron at Driftmotion. Aaron is easily the best, most personal vendor I have ever dealt with. I have never heard anyone else that had a problem with him.

To the masses.......Let's don't destroy Chris's thread.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
^wut he said

For the OP, both Aaron and Mary at Driftmotion are awesome to deal with, don't hesitate to do business with them (besides, they have like... EVERYTHING you could ever need)

Last edited:

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
xzeror;1795551 said:
on a stock oem head gasket i think 500 would be pushing it. I believe devin was making 400ish hp for a while until he finally blew it.. If ur set for power, just go mhg and dont look back. You wont have to worry about the dreaded head gasket issue if u do it right with a mhg and arp's.

This is still possible i made almost 450WHP with a 35R on 22psi on my old Supra OEM Head Gasket and ARP Studs no problem.

Devin was using ARP Head Bolts and on top of that they had been used be for on different cars. But it still held up amazing if you take conditions into a count. (Not sure if he milled the Head either)

But with a good block machined head and New ARP headstuds with a proper re-torque at 500miles i think its possible to hit 500hp

how long will it last ? (Who know's)

+1 for Aaron and Driftmotion

DHeath0013

Sep 13, 2010
Virginia
ForcedTorque;1795983 said:
your thread is about to turn into something you weren't looking for.

I believe Chris was looking for SUGGESTIONS and that is exactly what I was doing

quick summary....remove fender guards, can cause rust, Dont deal with Aaron, can get f^&%$ed

Chris13002

Sep 20, 2010
Maryland
Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely take the fender guards off, and the driver side door also has one too...

Here is what I came up with to start the restoration with, and am open for critiquing...

$95-head gasket
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-7mgtestockheadgasket.php

$120-arp studs
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-arp203-4202.php

$87-gasket set
http://www.sipracingmailorder.com/servlet/the-336/Cometic-Top-End-Gasket/Detail

$34-timing belt
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-7mtimingbeltfactorytoyota.php

$55-water pump
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-waterpump7m.php

I will also look at a complete hose/rubber replacement and try to keep it Toyota OEM as possible...
Anything else I should look into while the head is off going to the machine shop?

I have been following this thread here to get some ideas...
http://www.supramania.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-19541.html

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
DHeath0013;1796769 said:
I believe Chris was looking for SUGGESTIONS and that is exactly what I was doing

quick summary....remove fender guards, can cause rust, Dont deal with Aaron, can get f^&%$ed

Dont listen to him, MANY on this forum have dealt with aaron and have nothing but great things to say...

DHeath0013

Sep 13, 2010
Virginia
xzeror;1797204 said:
Dont listen to him, MANY on this forum have dealt with aaron and have nothing but great things to say...
Fair enough...I guess I am in the minority. I must have dealt with him while he was PMSing. Judging by the feedback odds are you won't have trouble with him. But I still would never recomend dealing with him.

Anyways, looks like you got an aswome Supra. It deffinetely is in way better condition than my 92 red w/ black leather
p1797461_1.jpg

p1797461_2.jpg

Although it was a perfect donner car for some non rusted rear quarters.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
The only 92 that was around my area decided it would be fun to be rear ended by a big Dodge pickup... lasted all of about 2 weeks in the area before being totaled. :nono:

Chris13002

Sep 20, 2010
Maryland
Starting the restore... Ordered the water pump, timing belt+pulley, head gasket + ARP Studs, thermostat+gasket, and a cometic top end gasket set, and in the process of taking the head off now to get to the machine shop...
My plan is to replace every hose possible, along with every clamp and all the fluids, including tranny and differential fluids...
So far, the oil doesn't seem contaminated with mixed coolant which is good I guess...
It's been sitting for 1.5-2 years so there were creepy crawlers in it...

I will be posting up more pics on the process when the head is off and get the engine bay more clean...

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
Forgot u asked about my wheel setup from the avatar. That was on lowering springs w/ tokico illuminas IIs (work with tems) and ruff racing rims. That was a while back, im currently on hks hipermax coilovers w/ mkiv tt wheels.

Chris13002

Sep 20, 2010
Maryland
Thanks, I was actually looking into the tokico struts (with TEMS) and Eibach lowering springs from driftmotion... I still want a stock look; slightly lowered without being too uncomfortable and will be reading more into suspension setups after I get it up and running...

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
The Tokicos are great. They are on the red 2JZ car that is for sale. The height is lowered BUT not crazy to the point you can't set a shop lift on it. -___-

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Chris13002;1804725 said:
Thanks, I was actually looking into the tokico struts (with TEMS) and Eibach lowering springs from driftmotion... I still want a stock look; slightly lowered without being too uncomfortable and will be reading more into suspension setups after I get it up and running...
Slighty lowered is one way of putting it... if you're still on stock sized tires, you're not gonna have more than maybe 5" of clearance on the front lip. ;)

Probably the best looking stance though.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
I actually wouldn't recommend a JZ swap for this, after all it is a ACTUAL running/functioning 7M. That has to be a collectors item by now. :D

All jokes aside, I'm being serious. Make that motor amazing and show what TLC and proper maintenance can do.

Chris13002

Sep 20, 2010
Maryland
UPDATE: Head is at the shop for cleaning, replacing the valve stems and compression testing... Here are pics of the blown head gasket, and crappy intercooler piping... I know the stock intercooler isn't that good, should I jump to the drift motion front mount intercooler kit or replace the stock rubber tubes?