92 Teal MKIII

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I would think e-fans would be ok in Connecticut.
I installed e-fans in the winter time back in the day. Once mid spring rolled around and temps started climbing in the mid to upper 80's the e-fans wouldn't keep up while car was sitting in traffic, or idling. My car started to overheat. I ditched the e-fans and went back to the stock clutch fan and overheating issues went away.
How hot does it get in Connecticut?

Supra90gr

Feb 12, 2009
Connecticut
Suprapowaz!(2);2022434 said:
I would think e-fans would be ok in Connecticut.
I installed e-fans in the winter time back in the day. Once mid spring rolled around and temps started climbing in the mid to upper 80's the e-fans wouldn't keep up while car was sitting in traffic, or idling. My car started to overheat. I ditched the e-fans and went back to the stock clutch fan and overheating issues went away.
How hot does it get in Connecticut?

This summer highest we saw was 90. Last year in july it was above 100... I have a friend with e fans on his 87 and he never had issues... If i see it becomes a problem than ill ditch it and go back to the fan clutch...

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Supra90gr;2022427 said:
So here is some progress with the motor. At this time I'm awaiting the arrival of an ATI super damper to get rid of that unorthodox crank pulley.... Finished power washing the engine bay. And starting tomorrow I'm starting on the 5spd swap.

Have a question about the 5spd swap. I have a manual computer and an auto computer. Should i just leave the auto in there or should i replace it with the manual one?

Also about the oil pump shimming...is there a thread on the procedure. It seems straight forward but ive never shimmed an oil pump and im not about to experiment on this motor lol....

You should be just fine with an auto ECU. I ran that for a while when I first did my manual swap.

Supra90gr

Feb 12, 2009
Connecticut
JDMMA70;2023564 said:
Is that an unorthodox crank pulley?

Yeah, I thought I had a stock crank pulley but I forgot I sold it to one of my friends. So I had to get an ATI super damper. Plus my machinist chewed my ass out when he saw it on the motor lol....

Supra90gr

Feb 12, 2009
Connecticut
So here is the update...Today I finally had the chance to drop the motor in, put the clutch and r154 in. Wire up the r154. Mounted the front mount.

Hopefully tomorrow I'm looking to get the thing running.

The only thing left to be done is radiator and fans. Finish plumbing up the intercooler. Re-install ECU and wires. Install manual brake pedal, clutch and master cylinder with driftmotion line. Re-install computer, plastics and miscellaneous interior plastics and also find a place to mount the new oil cooler and run the lines.

Quick question on the 5spd swap. I read that I have to remove or disconnect the automatic tranny computer which is located in the passenger side kick panel... Is that really necessary? Or can I just leave it be?

Here are some pics....

Attachments

• engine.JPG
    engine.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 24
  • enigne.JPG
    enigne.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0101.JPG
    IMG_0101.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0102.JPG
    IMG_0102.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 20
  • intercooler.JPG
    intercooler.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0103.jpg
    IMG_0103.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 20

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
Nice build so far! This is the color combo I have been looking for for a while now and you have it you lucky man! GL with your build:) Oh, on the subject of the Trans. ecu and wiring, no harm to leave it in place, but there are a couple pins on one of the plugs to the trans that have to be jumpered so the ECU thinks the neutral start switch is there and in neutral so the car will start. Think it may also keep an idiot light off in the dash too, but not 100% on that one. Might be someone else out there looking at this that can help you with the specific ones as I can't recall myself. Will be watching this one closely to see what you do with it!

Supra90gr

Feb 12, 2009
Connecticut
boostcraver;2024611 said:
Nice build so far! This is the color combo I have been looking for for a while now and you have it you lucky man! GL with your build:) Oh, on the subject of the Trans. ecu and wiring, no harm to leave it in place, but there are a couple pins on one of the plugs to the trans that have to be jumpered so the ECU thinks the neutral start switch is there and in neutral so the car will start. Think it may also keep an idiot light off in the dash too, but not 100% on that one. Might be someone else out there looking at this that can help you with the specific ones as I can't recall myself. Will be watching this one closely to see what you do with it!

Thanks!! I figured out all the wiring and such...I actually put an ECU from an 89 M/T chassis. It's going to be up and running tomorrow! Just been busy at the shop so don't have too much time to spent on the supra. Will post a start video tomorrow night :)

Supra90gr

Feb 12, 2009
Connecticut
So It finally started after some issues with timing. Figured that out and now it's 100%. Bled cooling system, changed oil and went for a ride. Found turbo has death wine....Supposedly it was rebuilt 3 years ago....not only that it's burning oil..... Now i'm awaiting a 57 ct26 from driftmotion.... Just can't win with this car lol. But it's all worth it. Video to follow when new turbo is installed.