92 MKIII Power Steering

theGOODWIN2012

Supraman
Oct 28, 2012
Long Island, NY
Hey, was just wondering if anyone had any info on how i would go about removing just my power steering belt without dismantling too much else. My pressure hose is shot and toyota wants 500 for a new one because i have "progressive power steering". Thing is, im just going to buy the non-PPS pressure hose and run it with that. Only thing is i dont have the money for it and just would like to temporarily run my supra w/o power steering. (Since i basically am already) plus it makes a god awful squeeling all the time. Thanks for any help!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
umm try rock auto or driftmotion. Aaron sells a high pressure hose for like 60$.

If you want to remoce the belt you just loose the the slider bolt and the pivot bolt on the ps pump and slide the ps pump towards engine.

Long time since i worked on a 7m but last i remember the ps belt was the last belt so the ac and wp belt will have to come off. Dont remember for sure tho.

theGOODWIN2012

Supraman
Oct 28, 2012
Long Island, NY
Thanks! Ill have to try in a day or too. Major snow storm last night :/ And I had seen the pump (im assuming the same one i would get from either places you recc.) from autozone/advanced auto for about 70ish dollars. And as far as ive been able to read the only difference i would have (since its not a progressive power steering hose) would be that at idle if i turned the wheel my RPMs would dip.

Edit: Yes the PS belt is the last :'( of course.........

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No that's the idle up valve. They all have that.

Pps is progressive power steering. Meaning you get assist at low speed and no assist at high speed.

theGOODWIN2012

Supraman
Oct 28, 2012
Long Island, NY
ohhh, Thanks for clearing that up. So all in all not a drastic change. Still a bit of a noob, only have had my Supra about a month and am still learning quite alot.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
jetjock;1890758 said:
^ Can't. Makes way too much sense....
Can't have that running around here now... I did that on my 88 and ended up preferring it like that. Made driving in the snow a bit easier to be honest.