91 vs 92

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
OK,
I've searched and searched and can't find anything, now it's driving me nuts. My buddy with a 91 is going on about how he wants these 92 door panels, and I've been in a 92 and haven't noticed any clear difference. He says the buttons next to the steering wheel are different as well.

Any truth to all of this?

BTW, I just bought a 91 with a bad tranny, I have a day off tuesday so hopefully new tranny + pics for you guys :)

Thanks!
-Mike

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
92 is the better car hands down!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, they are both the same. Both are very limited. There are somewhere under 4000 91's, and only 1193 92's originally imported to the US. Either one is a good car to have.

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
I have had every year Supra other then a 92. The only difference I've heard of is that shadow gray leather only came in 92 (Along with the other options) . I have the darker gray cloth in my 91 which I though was shadow, but from what I've seen lately, the shadow is still darker then that.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
KevinM;1440663 said:
I have had every year Supra other then a 92. The only difference I've heard of is that shadow gray leather only came in 92 (Along with the other options) . I have the darker gray cloth in my 91 which I though was shadow, but from what I've seen lately, the shadow is still darker then that.

In some pictures and what not, it doesn't seem that much darker. Compare side by side and they're darker and easily noticeable. If you're talking about the seat cloth material, I'm not sure on that. I've heard its different, but I've also heard its the same color just a slightly different pattern.

91s have shadow gray with leather seats, but the seats are the standard gray. Only the 92s cam with black leather seats.

But to the OP, as others have said the door pannels are the same between 91 and 92. They both have the larger speaker grill. The steering wheels are the same as well as all the dash buttons.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
KevinM;1440663 said:

The leather is black, the cloth is shadow gray as well as the dash and rest of the plastic trim inside the interior. Scott aka Forced Torque has the perfect example of a shadow gray interior as his is cloth. Scott let's see some pics!

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I was told this is shadow grey cloth when buying it. I am no expert on the subject, but I really hope it is. George (aka Jugodegolf) was here last week telling me that it was not quite shadow grey. My door panels are not quite black, but I don't know if those only went with the black seats. Again, I have never seen any other shadow cloth cars to compare. I am very happy with my interior either way. These pics were taken before I removed and sold off the gauges in the glove box. I'm not quite as hella legit as Fstoy was.

If you look at the floor mats in the back, you can see some difference. I had the JDM mats to match the medium grey in my 90. I liked the center piece so much I put it in with this interior. It is noticeably lighter than the others. My armrest is also a little lighter than the console. I wonder if he had it recovered?

p1440684_1.jpg

p1440684_2.jpg

cartel1_950

supra is gone
Jan 30, 2006
calgary
it just looks like crazy faded shadow grey. my 92 was shadow cloth but from those pictures i'm not sure if it is or not. the dash looks shadow grey for sure. regular grey dashes are pretty light from the pictures i've seen. and tissmo is correct. shadow grey was cloth only the leather was black. i'll see if i can find some interior pics for you to compare with.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
From what I've read on here (it's on the site, I think Jeff Lange posted about it, maybe someone else), the plastics in the 91 and 92 cars are the same color, but the black leather in the 92 cars gives the optical illusion of the plastic actually being darker than the 91.

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Great info guys, thanks. Can't wait until tuesday.

tissimo;1440669 said:
In some pictures and what not, it doesn't seem that much darker. Compare side by side and they're darker and easily noticeable. If you're talking about the seat cloth material, I'm not sure on that. I've heard its different, but I've also heard its the same color just a slightly different pattern.

91s have shadow gray with leather seats, but the seats are the standard gray. Only the 92s cam with black leather seats.

But to the OP, as others have said the door pannels are the same between 91 and 92. They both have the larger speaker grill. The steering wheels are the same as well as all the dash buttons.

Well my 91 has stock black leather seats.. so what package do I have? It's a Black 91 Turbo, Sunroof, and black leather seats..

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
Hmm, that's what I originally thought, that the 91 gray (dash, door panels, plastics were the darker). We have two 91's here, but both came with gray cloth seats and darker dashes,etc. I just haven't seen a 92 "shadow gray" dash to see the color. Definately, from pics, the seats are much darker as everyone is saying.

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
KevinM;1440801 said:
Hmm, that's what I originally thought, that the 91 gray (dash, door panels, plastics were the darker). We have two 91's here, but both came with gray cloth seats and darker dashes,etc. I just haven't seen a 92 "shadow gray" dash to see the color. Definately, from pics, the seats are much darker as everyone is saying.

We have a 92 at the shop, shadow grey, I'm gonna compare it to my 91 when I get it there.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
1986-1990 = Medium Grey
1991-1992 = Shadow Grey

Everything in the interior of the 91-92 is the same between the two years, except that in 92 the leather was made black. Cloth was the same between the two years and everything else like the dash, etc. was the same between 1991 and 1992.

whitem1ke88;1440797 said:
Well my 91 has stock black leather seats.. so what package do I have? It's a Black 91 Turbo, Sunroof, and black leather seats..

You either don't have the stock seats in the car, or you have a 1992. Post up your VIN or PM me, or whatever, or check your manufacturing date. Anything from August 1991 and newer is a 1992 model.

Jeff

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Jeff Lange;1440985 said:
1986-1990 = Medium Grey
1991-1992 = Shadow Grey

Everything in the interior of the 91-92 is the same between the two years, except that in 92 the leather was made black. Cloth was the same between the two years and everything else like the dash, etc. was the same between 1991 and 1992.

You either don't have the stock seats in the car, or you have a 1992. Post up your VIN or PM me, or whatever, or check your manufacturing date. Anything from August 1991 and newer is a 1992 model.

Jeff

Oh wow, that's good to know. PMing VIN now. Thanks. :)

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
In't it that the 92's was the only one offered with sunroof as an option? I just double check my vin and my ride is a 91... factory white Pearl ( must be a limited production too).

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
91 was when they started the 5 spoke wheels and sunroof. also the speedometer has twice as many white lines as the 90 and the trottle body linkage is slightly different. To OP, he probably thought that the speakers got bigger from 91-92, but the change was from 90 to 91 (before 91 had 4" speakers, 91+ had 6.5" speakers)

something i've heard: the 92 came with the donut style spare and not a full size. true?

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Jeff the man explained it all..

I have 91 panels in my 89, and they're identical to the shadow gray panels my 92 came with, except for the color (blue vs shadow gray)

91/92's have identical interiors, unless you have leather, in which case 91's had gray leather but shadow gray everything else, and 92's had black leather in place of the gray from 91's..

91/92 cloth interiors are identical...

stakie

May 7, 2005
Neptune, NJ
livinasask8er;1441547 said:
91 was when they started the 5 spoke wheels and sunroof. also the speedometer has twice as many white lines as the 90 and the trottle body linkage is slightly different. To OP, he probably thought that the speakers got bigger from 91-92, but the change was from 90 to 91 (before 91 had 4" speakers, 91+ had 6.5" speakers)

something i've heard: the 92 came with the donut style spare and not a full size. true?

Nope. Full size spare. Annoying too, because it's a hump in the back. I also have the rare subwoofer, which I've already ripped out for 2 JL 12s instead. I have the shadow grey cloth interior. I've had an 84, 86.5, 90 and 92. I must say, the 92 has been the sharpest and the most fun thus far.......