91 Turbo Project

comadreha

VicDic
Aug 13, 2006
Inland Empire, CA
Hi everyone, my name is Vic. As the title states, this project will involve the rebuild, update and restoration of my 91 Turbo.

Supra Info:

Stock 5-speed 91 Turbo
Got it from e-bay for $5500 in 2003. It had 132000 miles then and has 155000 now.
It has been my "daily driver" for about 18 months now, after I sold my original DD, my first car ever ('88 NA, 5-speed, 190000 miles - Original Owner).
It was in April of this year that I decided to begin this project after learning the following:

- I love how strong the online community is for the MK3. many of you guys/gals have set the bar high in respect to performance/upgrades/etc. and have spread the knowledge on how to get the most out of these cars. I spend most of the time lurking these forums, just to learn and to think "What if I could do this to my car" or "oh snap, look what they did to their car(s), I like it"

- I was really hesitant with proceeding with the project without a reputable shop to do all the work I would or could not do. It was not looking good, until I heard good things being said about Aaron & Jose from Driftmotion. I had them do some suspension upgrades for me, which worked out great as far as worksmanship, attention to detail and price. I am planning on going with them for all my future MK3 needs. Their new shop is only 20 minutes from the crib.

OK, enough typing for now, here are pics of the 91 as of this month.

Exterior Shots

Attachments

• Front.JPG
    Front.JPG
    383.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Rear - Left Quarter.JPG
    Rear - Left Quarter.JPG
    407.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Rear-small.JPG
    Rear-small.JPG
    420.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Rear - Right Quarter.JPG
    Rear - Right Quarter.JPG
    346.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Right Profile.JPG
    Right Profile.JPG
    418 KB · Views: 59

comadreha

VicDic
Aug 13, 2006
Inland Empire, CA
Interior and Engine Bay:

Attachments

• Interior - Driver Side.JPG
    Interior - Driver Side.JPG
    436.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Interior - Passenger Side.JPG
    Interior - Passenger Side.JPG
    524.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Engine Bay.JPG
    Engine Bay.JPG
    478 KB · Views: 82

comadreha

VicDic
Aug 13, 2006
Inland Empire, CA
My Project Goals:

Here is what is important to me for this project, in descending order

A. Exterior/Interior - It has got to look new or updated with new stuff. I have to get excited everytime I look at it. This means new Wheels & Tires, Paint job, Body Kit, Replacement of worn or broken mouldings, plastic, etc.

B. Suspension - The 91T shares daily driving duties with a motorcycle. I have more fun taking turns aggressively then going fast in a straight line. This attitude has motivated me to have the same sought of fun in the 91T. Good Suspension bits make me smile and give me a lot of joy.

C. HP Upgrades - Cannot have a good looking MK3 without some form of power to back it up. I will leave specific HP numbers out for now. A basic engine rebuild that will provide a base for future HP upgrades is a must and a requirement for my project to succeed. I will be tasking Driftmotion for this portion.

I know it sounds ass backwards, because most seem do it in the other direction, but I am building my dream car now and I have a very methodical and deliberate plan to get it where i can say "I'm happy now, it is complete"

The groundwork for this project has already been already laid by the forum members, as it is you all, that I will be copying ideas, techniques, looks, and knowledge from, so for this I am grateful. Maybe in the future, after I have learned some more, will I then be able to contribute myself. Hopefully my thread will assist others in their builds as I have been when I read through the build threads myself.

comadreha

VicDic
Aug 13, 2006
Inland Empire, CA
This is what has been done to car (project-wise) since I got it.

Eibach Lowering Springs
Tokico Illumina II Struts
K&N FIPK
Tinted side, rear quarter, and rear windows

I know y'all like pictures, but did not think to take photos of the suspension pieces as they were installed this past spring.

As I figured, the suspension upgrade has been the most fun. The tint helps keep the inside temps down and keeps the ride looking good and the intake begins part of my flow/full 3" exhaust plans. It is also pretty cool to hear the stock BOV working. Must sound much louder with the aftermarket ones. Living in Cali, too much noise will be a no-no for me. Don't want to attract undesired attention. This has figured into my exhaust decisions.

More plans and parts pics soon.

comadreha

VicDic
Aug 13, 2006
Inland Empire, CA
Here are some pics of some parts I have been accumulating.

From Left to Right

- Bomex Rear Under Covers & Type I Front Under Spolier (3-hole)

- ST Anti-Sway Bars

- Misc parts for the engine (Fan Shroud), Interior (center console cover, Parking brake hood), and Body (supports & brackets for the driver side bumper/spoiler support which were damaged before I got the car).

Attachments

• Body Kit.JPG
    Body Kit.JPG
    480.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Sway Bars.JPG
    Sway Bars.JPG
    498.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Misc Parts.JPG
    Misc Parts.JPG
    474.6 KB · Views: 38

comadreha

VicDic
Aug 13, 2006
Inland Empire, CA
UPDATE:

I just realized I had not accurately depicted the dimensions for the mufflers. I have made corrections to the attachments and reposted them. Sorry for that.

Going with a full 3" system was obvious, but trying to figure out what muffler to use was challenging. After looking through plenty of images of mufflers of the MK3 here and on other forums, I have decided to stay with the stock look (dual-tip muffler). Now my challenge was Make/Model. From my research MAGNAFLOW has the best selection of dual-tip mufflers.

There are pictures around of MK3s with the dual-tip mufflers, but it is difficult to tell which inlet/outlet sizes they are using. In order to help with my muffler selection, I created some sizing charts that compare various Magnaflow dual-tip mufflers against the stock MK3 one. Hopefully it may help ease any confusion, someone else may be having about the sizes.

The diagrams below are only for Magnaflow mufflers that have 3' inlets/dual-tip exhaust in 5" x 8" oval & 5" x 11" oval. The dimensions and part numbers come from the Polished Stainless Steel section of the their website. They are as close to scale as I can get them.

Attachments

• Magnaflow_5x8oval_Rear.jpg
    Magnaflow_5x8oval_Rear.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 8
  • Magnaflow_5x11oval_Rear.jpg
    Magnaflow_5x11oval_Rear.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 10
  • magnaflow5x8oval_top.jpg
    magnaflow5x8oval_top.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 5
  • magnaflow5x11oval_top.jpg
    magnaflow5x11oval_top.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
Awesome stuff man.

I would reccomend looking into a Tanabe Hyper medalion series exhaust. From what I hear it s relitively quiet untill you really get on it.

Your car is awesome!

BJ91T

Aug 28, 2006
Baton Rouge LA
in regards to that tanabe exaughst do a google video search on mk3 supra there is a nice vid of a 500hp car with that exaughst on it just letting you know where to hear it if you wanted to go that route. Looking great man.

later
BJ

comadreha

VicDic
Aug 13, 2006
Inland Empire, CA
Thanks for the compliments fellas. I have looked at the Tanabe already. It is a close second in my cat-back decision. The only thing that keeps it there is that large 115 mm tip. But that is probably splitting hairs at this point. Heard nothing but good things about them.

comadreha

VicDic
Aug 13, 2006
Inland Empire, CA
I thought I would share with y'all, my Master Project List for the 91T. It is a document that I use to visualize how the project should proceed. It is primarily a wish list.

This project is broken down into 4 core categories (Engine, Suspension, Exterior, Interior). These 4 Categories are then tracked by Stages. the stages are just intermediate goals set which will satisfy the project's final goal. The final goal is to be able to say "I am done" at the completion of the final stage for all the categories (if applicable). The colors are used to keep track of progress.

I understand things will break along the way and new knowledge will be gained. The plan will be adjusted as required. I will admit that that my knowledge of the info on the higher stages is murky right now. Need to do more reading through the forums and ask lots more questions of those who know. Guess I will be pestering the boys at DriftMotion a little more.

If anyone would like to add or comment, I'm all eyes. Any helpful info would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Project Stages.pdf
    6.6 KB · Views: 13

comadreha

VicDic
Aug 13, 2006
Inland Empire, CA
Well, I have been MIA for a little bit, but the project is still on a roll. Here is what has been going on:

- Driftmotion is currently building me a 7M. It will be swapped out for the one currently in my 91T. The car has been sitting undriven in order to insure I give them back the best possible engine core. In the meantime this has given me an opportunity to work on the Interior/Exterior of the car according to my Project Plan.

- Ordered/received some parts.

I have attached an updated project plan as well as pics of some stuff I recently got to help with my sound deadening and exterior/interior restoration tasks.

If any of this stuffs ends up working effectively in what it claims to do, a fully detailed product report will be posted in the appropriate section with plenty of pics and DIY write-ups if applicable.

Happy Holidays everyone!!

Attachments

• Project Stages.pdf
    6.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Mastic1.JPG
    Mastic1.JPG
    481.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Mastic2.JPG
    Mastic2.JPG
    262.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Mastic3.JPG
    Mastic3.JPG
    318.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Products1.JPG
    Products1.JPG
    635.5 KB · Views: 18

comadreha

VicDic
Aug 13, 2006
Inland Empire, CA
Got some more stuff.

Borla ProXS Muffler - 3" inlet/dual 2.5" outlets.

Sound Deadening material form RAAMAudio.

Insolite closed cell foam and spray adhesive to provide the finishing touch to the sound deadening task.

Motor is still being put together by Driftmotion. Install is nearing.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=489403&postcount=23

Attachments

• 104_0494.JPG
    104_0494.JPG
    396.9 KB · Views: 9
  • borla_rear.JPG
    borla_rear.JPG
    275 KB · Views: 7
  • 104_0491.JPG
    104_0491.JPG
    241.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 104_0495.JPG
    104_0495.JPG
    335.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 104_0496.JPG
    104_0496.JPG
    840.5 KB · Views: 4

comadreha

VicDic
Aug 13, 2006
Inland Empire, CA
Wheels are in.

Volk GT-C in Gunmetal

4 1/2 month wait. The rears were not what I ordered. The Face type and offset are wrong. At the moment I do not know whether I want to wait another extended period for the replacements. The concave look is actually not that bad.

FRONTS are pictured below.

Attachments

• GT-C Front Size.JPG
    GT-C Front Size.JPG
    685.1 KB · Views: 7
  • GT-C Front 1.JPG
    GT-C Front 1.JPG
    405.3 KB · Views: 19
  • GT-C Front 2.JPG
    GT-C Front 2.JPG
    394.6 KB · Views: 7
  • GT-C Front 3.JPG
    GT-C Front 3.JPG
    381.2 KB · Views: 10

comadreha

VicDic
Aug 13, 2006
Inland Empire, CA
The REARS

Based on my research, I will lose about 1/2 inch off the rear lip with the FACE 2 (concave) style. I originally ordered the FACE 1 style in a +43 Offset.

I guess the style is growing on me because I like they way they look.

Attachments

• GT-C Rear Size.JPG
    GT-C Rear Size.JPG
    338.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 104_0497.JPG
    104_0497.JPG
    407.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 104_0498.JPG
    104_0498.JPG
    338.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 104_0499.JPG
    104_0499.JPG