91 throttle body on a 87?

SupraLover

Apr 13, 2005
Las Vega$
I just put this 91 TB on my 87 manual, the problem is, the accelarator pedal is really hard to press now, and the car wont idle because of this. The butterfly in the TB is much harder to open, Im thinking there was some other cable on the 91 that prevented this from being so hard...I can drive the car fine, just wont idel..has anyone put a 91 TB on a 87 turbo?? Im curious to know how you softened up the spring rate on the butterfly, or how to get this beast to idle...Oh! no code 51's....

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
SupraLover;1497939 said:
I just put this 91 TB on my 87 manual, the problem is, the accelarator pedal is really hard to press now, and the car wont idle because of this. The butterfly in the TB is much harder to open, Im thinking there was some other cable on the 91 that prevented this from being so hard...I can drive the car fine, just wont idel..has anyone put a 91 TB on a 87 turbo?? Im curious to know how you softened up the spring rate on the butterfly, or how to get this beast to idle...Oh! no code 51's....

Did you use a gasket? Felpro gaskets are horrible because the hole on the gasket is too small and the butterfly touches it. I always use silcone there and a good amount of it. Check to see if anything is in the way of the spring at the back toward the firewall.

dragracer

GearHead
Oct 31, 2005
Churubusco
Did you make sure the linkage rod is the correct length?

Not sure on 89 and up. But 87-88 throttle bodies are different from automatics to manual cars. Where the linkage rod connects to the TB is different between the auto and manual cars.

So you need the auto linkage and rod if you have an auto throttle body.

Just a thought to ponder

SupraLover

Apr 13, 2005
Las Vega$
Ok, so the linkage is not the same, but I was able to adapt it to work correctly, and I know some of you might dissagree, but I adjusted the idle screw, (not the air/fuel screw) and now the car idles fine at 750 with no code 51. There seems to be better throttle response even though this would not be considered an upgrade for an 87, but I like it.