91 Supra with Ignition breakup AEM and HKS DLI

Raven97990

Supramania Contributor
Jul 3, 2005
Georgia
www.speedforsale.com
I am a bit stumped at this point. I've read and reread everything I could find on the topic.

The Car
1991 Toyota Supra 7mgte 5 speed
Mods
Garrett 60-1 To4e turbo
RC 550cc injectors(just flow checked)
Walboro pump
Aeromotive FPR set to 41 with line off
AEM with wideband sensor feedback
HKS DLI
new OEM coils
new NGK wires
New NGK plugs(had Champions in on the dyno swapped them out) gapped down to .022 in testing

The Symptoms
At 3000-4000rpm, and full throttle at 2psi or greater, the car develops a severe skip, but will power through. Air Fuel ratios stay correct.

Observations
If you are under 75% throttle, it appears to drive through this range at boost without skipping, free revs perfectly

Diagnostic Process/things done
I have replaced all grounds with 8gauge wire, including from the coils to the head.
Swapped ignitors
Closed gap of CPS to .006 or so to ensure clean signal (I no longer get any signal errors in the AEM)
Rewired DLI to make sure I wasnt causing power starvation to the coils/ignitor
Confirmed full power even during skip at the coils
Comfirmed CPS resitances
Confirmed base timing
Reset coil dwell from the base "19" to "20"

Results
Car is much crisper with throttle response with all these checks done, but the car still has this severe skip/breakup in the 3000+ range.

I have had a similar symptom from a MK IV and it ended up needing a harness, but we could shake the harness and get a reaction, I do not have any result from shaking or wiggling connectors.

I'm at a loss and normally am the goto guy for tough stuff, any suggestions? Anyone good with a AEM with a similar modded car mind sending me a map in confidence so I can test with it? I still think it could be in the tune, as I just can't see anything mechanically with it. The TPS also sweeps fine..

Raven97990

Supramania Contributor
Jul 3, 2005
Georgia
www.speedforsale.com
IJ.;1329658 said:
What are the plug gaps?

Currently .024

I started with them at .028 on the dyno, and took them as low as .019 with the champions, then installed the NGK's at .024.

It should be noted that plug gap changes made no change to the way the vehicle ran, or would break up.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Is the fuel pump running on a constant 12 volts? (i.e. the resistor pack has been removed)

Raven97990

Supramania Contributor
Jul 3, 2005
Georgia
www.speedforsale.com
I spent some time today playing with ignition timing with the AEM in the breakup range, but I did not notice any difference. I am not noticing any fuel drop out, but it is running a walboro. I don't know if it is possible the pump is giving a problem, but I do not have ANY leaning issues, it holds perfect AF.

More harness wiggling does not show any skips or changes in running condition.

I'm beating my head against the wall.

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
Plug wires aren't touching eachother or grounding out on the engine? Coil pack chassis grounded? Timing advance isn't set too high at levels over 75% throttle/load?
Try grounding the AEM, DLI and ignitor to the same point to eliminate a ground loop/noise.
Just some ideas...

Raven97990

Supramania Contributor
Jul 3, 2005
Georgia
www.speedforsale.com
thedave925;1330916 said:
Plug wires aren't touching eachother or grounding out on the engine? Coil pack chassis grounded? Timing advance isn't set too high at levels over 75% throttle/load?
Try grounding the AEM, DLI and ignitor to the same point to eliminate a ground loop/noise.
Just some ideas...

I will recheck the wires, they are new, so they should not have any leaks. As I said in the first post I madea 8gauge ground for the coil pack chassis, and I've played with timing and have and no change.

Anyone have a ignition map from similar setup they mind sharing with me just for the purpose of checking this out?