91 supra blown engine.

91supra

Sep 2, 2008
Boston, Ma
so im on the highway going about 60 and i hear this really weird noise coming from the engine. so i let off the gas lil bit & the noise would stop & when i step on the gas again the noise would get louder & louder. and the car started jerkin & jittering. & i had a feeling wat was coming next. & of course the engine cut off & i pull over to the break down lane before the car completely stopped. & there was smoke coming from the hood so i popped the hood & i dnt think i ever seen so much smoke before. i honestly thought the car was gonna blow up. soo long story short i got the car towed to a garage the next day & the mechanic said that my engine is pretty much done & im gonna need to get a new engine. there was absolutely no oil/lubrication & he said that caused the engine to pretty much melt its self away.

i guess i need a new engine so now im screwed seeing how i'm a full-time student working a shitty part time job.
the supra is my pride & joy & i would hate to lose it.
wat do u guys think i should do? wat would u do in my situation?
keep the car, find new engine, sell the car, etc?
thanxxx.

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
Find a good buddy with a: garage, engine hoist, engine stand, tools, lots of Supra 7M experience. Pull engine, rebuild, be happy. If you sell it, you won't get a nickle for it if it's not running mint. Or you could pull the motor and swap it for a good one, if you can find one on here.. I personally wouldn't start all that "low mileage" JDM swap stuff. It sounds like a crapshoot to me... gl.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
yeah, it's a 91 so it's always in demand, you'll have no trouble selling it..

what you can do is swap in a cheap JDM engine for $500 or so (got my 7MGEs for $400 each), and sell it, so you won't have to take a huge loss...

but seriously, a Supra's not what you need right now if you're a student with limited funds...

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Sad to here your lose. Honestly you could prob get more cash paring it out then selling as a whole. But i don't know what your options are.

Id say try and find a motor somewhere like a car on Craigslist or something. Use what you can from that car and yours to build up a new motor

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Dont sell it, find yourself a cheap dd and let the mk3 rest for a while untill you have enough money to get a new engine and rebuild it. Really, it should not be hard to get a 7mgte for cheap. Search for emm and I am sure you will find the " 7m is crap, I'm tired of trying with this engine... IM GOING JZ" guy.... He will sell it for cheap or even give it away....

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Sside;1406370 said:
Dont sell it, find yourself a cheap dd and let the mk3 rest for a while untill you have enough money to get a new engine and rebuild it.

^This!

Your profile says you have an 89, and your screen name is 91. If it is a 91, you'd be a fool to let it go cheap. If it is straight, you should definitely not part it.

91supra

Sep 2, 2008
Boston, Ma
Sside;1406370 said:
Dont sell it, find yourself a cheap dd and let the mk3 rest for a while untill you have enough money to get a new engine and rebuild it. Really, it should not be hard to get a 7mgte for cheap. Search for emm and I am sure you will find the " 7m is crap, I'm tired of trying with this engine... IM GOING JZ" guy.... He will sell it for cheap or even give it away....

this is definately the option i'm leaning towards. i will start looking around for a new 7mgte. some people are telling me i might as well just go 1jz if i'm going to get a new engine. but i can't imagine how expensive that move would be. & it would probably be hell trying to find a 1j. anyways, i really don't wanna let go of my supra, i'm determined to find her a new engine.

ForcedTorque;1406377 said:
^This!

Your profile says you have an 89, and your screen name is 91. If it is a 91, you'd be a fool to let it go cheap. If it is straight, you should definitely not part it.

yea, it's a 91. i never realized that my profil says 91. sorry. i'll post pics when i get the chance.

lewis15498;1406765 said:
No, Sell it to me! Please?:x:

& sorry lewis i'm trying my best to avoid this option. i really don't wanna let go of her. but with my limited funds & time, i will consider selling it.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
91supra;1407017 said:
this is definately the option i'm leaning towards. i will start looking around for a new 7mgte. some people are telling me i might as well just go 1jz if i'm going to get a new engine. but i can't imagine how expensive that move would be. & it would probably be hell trying to find a 1j. anyways, i really don't wanna let go of my supra, i'm determined to find her a new engine.

I here people say JZ JZ JZ eh i like the GTE i think it is a good motor that can do anything you want it to if you take care of it.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Turbo Habanero;1407020 said:
I here people say JZ JZ JZ eh i like the GTE i think it is a good motor that can do anything you want it to if you take care of it.

Que..?

the JZ series comes in single/twin turbo GTE form, and GE and even FE..

the 7M only came GE or single turbo GTE, no FE..

91supra

Sep 2, 2008
Boston, Ma
lewis15498;1406360 said:
You wanna sell it? Let me know, I may buy it.

im running out of options & selling the supra is looking more & more like the best decesion for me. how much would u be willing to spend on it lewis?
keep in mind...

-mint condition metallic blue paint about a year old
-no crazy mods, pretty much all stock.
-only aftermarket piece = apexi intake, rims, & sound system.
-i got this car about 3 or 4 years ago & pretty much replaced everything that was rusted out or that needed to be changed. about $3500 worth of new parts/fixing to make her perfect.
-about 130,XXX miles
-& much more i can't think of right now

this car has beeen nothing but good to me all these years, & if i took care of her the way i should have, i wouldn't be in this situation. soo if you can fix that engine, she will last you many many more years.

let me know....