91 Mk3 1jz Winter Project

CrazyInside

Feb 10, 2012
Oregon
Figured i'd make a build thread so I can look back and see all the bullshit I went through to not have a 7m lol.

Here is the car that will take the swap

p1878865_1.jpg

p1878865_2.jpg

And the engine that showed up 9/28/12
p1878865_3.jpg

Taking it home
p1878865_4.jpg

And starting to take it apart 9/29/12
p1878865_5.jpg

p1878865_6.jpg

Last edited:

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
okay, cuase theres a post 89 black with the stock five spokes arunning around the beaverton area, but i can never get the guy to stop to talk..

CrazyInside

Feb 10, 2012
Oregon
bloodasp90;1879000 said:
okay, cuase theres a post 89 black with the stock five spokes arunning around the beaverton area, but i can never get the guy to stop to talk..

ah nice, I Just picked this up from an old dude.. been sitting for 4 years. Still runs pretty good though but it's an auto lol. Didn't really bother me though sense i'm going 1jz

rokit1man

Jan 27, 2011
Kansas
The black Mk3 looks really good and the 1J swap will make it that much better. I have a black 92 doing the same swap and just about to put it all together. By the way, do you have any pics of your interior?

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
wait.. was this old dude out in the beaverton/close to portland area?? cause that might of been the guy i was talking about i hadnt seen him around in quite awhile though, but his was running, and on the streets.

CrazyInside

Feb 10, 2012
Oregon
rokit1man;1879396 said:
The black Mk3 looks really good and the 1J swap will make it that much better. I have a black 92 doing the same swap and just about to put it all together. By the way, do you have any pics of your interior?

Interior is perfect other then the arm rest. Other than that it's all there, no rips/cracks and every button/light works. Even has the targa holder and the sun shade.

Here is some pics I just took with my phone.

p1879698_1.jpg

p1879698_2.jpg

p1879698_3.jpg

p1879698_4.jpg

bloodasp90;1879448 said:
wait.. was this old dude out in the beaverton/close to portland area?? cause that might of been the guy i was talking about i hadnt seen him around in quite awhile though, but his was running, and on the streets.

Maybe, the guy lives in troutdale but said he just moved thats why he was selling it. Got it running and driving with perfect body/interior for 2000

rokit1man

Jan 27, 2011
Kansas
Yea your car is in great shape and looks like the same color as mine. Good luck on the build and will be watching your progress.

CrazyInside

Feb 10, 2012
Oregon
rokit1man;1879834 said:
Yea your car is in great shape and looks like the same color as mine. Good luck on the build and will be watching your progress.

thanks, i'll start ordering the fun stuff on Nov. 5th. Got a bunch of bdays this month including the womans so it's going to be an expensive month lol

CrazyInside

Feb 10, 2012
Oregon
Well I think this will be my list of parts to buy.. if you see something i'm missing.. or something that would be better let me know!

Still not sure what standalone i'm going so it's not on the list

mounts for Pre '89 or '89 + .......................................................$120.00
Oil line so the stock 7M oil pressure sensor will adapt.............................$20.00
Rubber mounts for the swap mounts, or fluid filled if you have a '89 + .....$50.00
Front Mount Intercooler set.............................................................$420.00
New Timing belt...................................................................................$35.00
Serpentine belt, Advance auto, if you run without A/C Part # 745K6............$22.00
2JZ Water pump....................................................................................$120.00
New Thermostat....................................................................................$21.00
1JZ Water pump pulley........................................................................$20.00
LS400 Clutch with fan............................................................................$65.00
Coolant hoses..................................................................................$90.00
Heater hose, and vacuum lines ..............................................................30.00
1 step colder spark plugs.............................................................................$20.00
6262 Turbo .......................................................................................$899.99
Manifold and oil lines................................................................................$800.00
Braided Power steering line...................................................................$65.00
Power steering res...............................................................................$35.00
Power steering hose - low pressure.......................................................$20.00
2JZ-GTE Throttle Cable.........................................................................$65.00
Koyo Radiator................................................................................$350.00
BC 264..............................................................................................$569.00
Cam Gears..................................................................................$300.00
HKS SSQV4 BoV................................................................................$248.00
Aeromotive AFPR Kit...........................................................................$260.00
Walbro 400lph.......................................................................................$158.00
750cc Injectors..................................................................................$550.00
LightWeight Flywheel.........................................................................$350.00
ARP Flywheel bolts.................................................................................$30.00
Act Clutch kit............................................................................................$625.00
Randoms...............................................................................................$500.00

rokit1man

Jan 27, 2011
Kansas
You can add a ATI Super Damper and a T4 exhaust manifold. Edit.. You can take a look at a few pics in my profile. It might help you out some.

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
man, thats a nice parts list.. if you want to get ideas on what EMS to go with, id personally contact John Reed, anyone who knows his back ground, he is almost a gift to AEM's or Motec's, but its alot eaiser if you accually go over to PSI and pick his brain.. or else you can go over to the guys over at VIP, those are about the only two shops id trust in this entire area with any real kinda build when it comes to our cars.

CrazyInside

Feb 10, 2012
Oregon
rokit1man;1880696 said:
You can add a ATI Super Damper and a T4 exhaust manifold. Edit.. You can take a look at a few pics in my profile. It might help you out some.

Witch t4 manaifold did you get? I'm not really sure what to get yet.. driftmotion has a kit with a mani and everything else you need for 800?

bloodasp90;1880776 said:
man, thats a nice parts list.. if you want to get ideas on what EMS to go with, id personally contact John Reed, anyone who knows his back ground, he is almost a gift to AEM's or Motec's, but its alot eaiser if you accually go over to PSI and pick his brain.. or else you can go over to the guys over at VIP, those are about the only two shops id trust in this entire area with any real kinda build when it comes to our cars.

thanks for the info.. i was wondering what shop to have tune my car once it's ready :D. And AeM is at the top of my list right now so that is cool

rokit1man

Jan 27, 2011
Kansas
I ended up going with item#1jzgtequicksilvermanifold at the supra store with the open flange for QSV and had it ceramic coated. Dfiftmotion, SPracing and the Suprastore all have good stuff. I've shopped at all of them. Haha.

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
yeah, theres another guy on here from time to time, Van is his name, he lives down in happy vally, CLEAN white pre89, and he only uses VIP, and his car runs sooo cherry it isnt even funny.. but really, if you have the time, or money, id just have Reed do it (talk to him in person, dont message him he wont awnser) it'll be a great tune, alot of MKIV guys love his tunes on AEM's..

CrazyInside

Feb 10, 2012
Oregon
All right so this hasn't been updated in a while because I just got engaged and spent all my car money on a ring haha.
p1913427_1.jpg

But now that is all taken care of i'm back to work on the car. So here is what happened so far.

This was my supras last drive with the 7mgte, still runs and everything but my tags expired jan 1st 2013 so we took her for a spin then covered here up and put it away to await the 1jz.
p1913427_2.jpg

While taking the tranny off the engine I got found this exedy hyper clutch kit :D fly wheel and pressure plate look good so I think i'll just order a new disk for it.
p1913427_3.jpg

All ready resealed most of the engine, including front and rear main didn't take many pics of all the seals.. boring stuff :D (that's my friend Ben in the pic, also doing a 1jz in his mk3)
p1913427_4.jpg

p1913427_5.jpg

While doing seals and had it broke down painted it :D.. for some reason I took pics of the prep and primer but forgot to take pic painted.. it's glossy black now.
p1913427_6.jpg

p1913427_7.jpg

p1913427_8.jpg

p1913427_9.jpg

Polished the intake manifold
p1913427_10.jpg

BC cam gears and 264 cams
p1913427_11.jpg

Pulleys/spark plugs
p1913427_12.jpg

Got new timing belt put on, new water pump, and test fitting everything, all the bolts are hand tight, still need to take most off and clean the head with a tooth brush :D
p1913427_13.jpg

The woman holding up the cam gears so I can decide what color to do my valve covers, I think i'm going to match them to the cam gears, then run an aluminum spark plug cover
p1913427_14.jpg

So that's where i'm at right now.

I just ordered a drift motion top feed fuel rail, engine dynamics 1000cc high impedance injectors for e85, and a new alternator. Should be here next week.

My next step is to install cams and cam gears, get my powder coating done on the covers, and clean the head. Also still need to polish my water neck

This should be updated often now sense i'm aloud to work on it again lol, and it's almost spring and I need something to drive this summer that is fun!

If anyone has a new upper and lower intake manifold gasket let me know! I don't want to order a whole seal kit from driftmotion for 320 bucks when I Just need those 2

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
Lookin good man! Keep us updated. Hit up empera to get your armrest recovered. What kinda of power you shooting for? Congrats on the girl.

CrazyInside

Feb 10, 2012
Oregon
supra1008;1913523 said:
Lookin good man! Keep us updated. Hit up empera to get your armrest recovered. What kinda of power you shooting for? Congrats on the girl.

My uncle owns an upholstery shop so he's going to do it for me and next winter the full interior. I'm going to run e85 on this so when I tune it i'ma let em go for it up to 30psi to see what it can do, then tune it down to around 500-550whp. I happen to live in oregon about 20 min from john reeds shop.. so hopefully it he will get it tuned nicely :D