'91 Jay Blue Turbo Supra, 1JZ-GTE Swap ( L@@K )

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Well after buying the last '89 I was pretty bent about had it. I had planned to have it running soon until I found boat loads of rust. :3d_frown: I wish I would have not overlooked it. I knew it had rust, but I didn't know how bad it truly was. If you ever see a little rust, expect to find about ten times that.

Now for the good news. Today I picked up a '91 Jay Blue Turbo Supra with Targa top. It is an automatic, but I can truly live with it. I like the automatic's on these cars once they're upgraded. I am very happy with the purchase. I found the car about 40 minutes from where I live. I called the guy last night and said I would like to see it in the morning.

I got there and saw the car and was like wow. I already wanted to look at it more. I brought a flashlight ( I would suggest anyone buying a Supra to bring one! ) and looked at the rear wheels well, underneath, and I even took out the jack from the rear side corner panels to look in there for rust.

Exterior:
Everything was great. With a 18 year old car there is always small issues that must be fixed. There is a chip on the drivers doors that is just starting to rust slightly. The hood and targa are both sun faded. The rear wing has a crack only on one of the side pieces. There are always mall chips, little dents, nothing major and my first couple of pay checks are going to have the exterior fixed up. Also the targa leaks, that is very rare :rofl:

Motor:
Well the motor has ARP head studs and a Mhg on it. A new timing belt water pump, and I looked down and I saw the oil pan gasket was replaced. The power steering pump is not covered in fluid, pretty amazing if you ask me.

Engine has a K&N air filter with a stock air box. The cats were also ( cut off ) he told me that they were clogging so he had straight pipes put on. I really do not care, because when i get home from work, I am replacing the exhaust with a full 3" exhaust I saved from my other Supra. The motor runs " Strong " as hell. I have never driven a better running Supra to date.

I am pretty happy with the car, and I look forward to basic upgrades and not going crazy. Car will not be driven in the rain anymore ethier. Sadly I was forced to drive it in the rain today to get it home.

If anyone has information as to how many Jay Blue Supra's were made please let me know, also was '91 the only year they were produced? Thanks.

I also do not like the pin stripe the factory added, it also came with a bra on the front.

These are pictures that he had posted on the web, I will take more pictures outside once it gets nice out, it's been raining for about 7 days.
2zsqqyq.jpg

Last edited:

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
GrimJack;1308779 said:
Odd that he swapped the stock 5 spoke wheels for the older sawblades...

5/1/09 at 2:20 A.M

Yeah I was not to happy with that :\ Also found out tonight it has a Stock Hg.
I am pulling the valve covers to inspect for arp head studs now.

Car runs great though. The lines from the valve cover that return oil to the block was cracked over time. Oil has been leaking slightly, so I had an extra one that was nearly new, I replaced that tonight and cleaned up the oil. Thank god It never dripped on the ground, that means you got a leaky Supra!

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Nice find Eathan.............:love:

If it doesn't have ARP's what are you going to do? If he clearly sold it to you representing a metal hg and ARP's, there should be something you could do, but I doubt there is. I'm sure you bought it as is. Good luck either way.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
suprahero;1309751 said:
Nice find Eathan.............:love:

If it doesn't have ARP's what are you going to do? If he clearly sold it to you representing a metal hg and ARP's, there should be something you could do, but I doubt there is. I'm sure you bought it as is. Good luck either way.

Yeah I did buy it as is, but my guess is that there " is " indeed Arp's, I am sure they're not even studs though, I would guess bolts. Sadly buying it as I doesn't help my situation. If He did refund me money I would just ask for a MHG, and 300.00 for my time to fix it. Car is runnign amazing minus the first to second gear shifting.

7Mboost;1309799 said:
Don't part another one out.

Oh don't worry I do not plan on doing that. Actually Nate Pm'd me asking if I would sell him the trim..

I said no because this is my daily driver.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
mk3design;1309924 said:
Looks good.. Best color IMO on a MK3

Ha, thanks. I am going to just drive it for now, but I would like to make some #'s. I think the best way is to keep the 7m I have out of the '89 build it and then drop it in, so that is a good start.

Last edited:

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Alright, well the decision has been made. I am swapping in a 2jz-gte into the '91. Tonight I am going to be pulling the 7m-gte that runs perfect, sucks taking out a perfectly running motor..

I will be taking a video tonight to prove the motor runs flawlessly, so when I sell it, people can see how well everything runs.

I will be ordering my 2JZ in about 3-4 weeks. It will give me time to complete everything.

I sure can't wait.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
7M-KDL;1324472 said:
in an earlier post you said you found out that it was the stock HG...how did you figure that out?

I took off the alterantor, and you can see a HG fromt hat area.. down there, even took a flat head screw driver and messed around with the 1/2 mm sticking out. My method, priceless.

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
92TealSupra;1324475 said:
I took off the alterantor, and you can see a HG fromt hat area.. down there, even took a flat head screw driver and messed around with the 1/2 mm sticking out. My method, priceless.

nice, ill have to try that. and all you have to do to see if it has arp's is to take of the valve covers? the reason i ask is bc i bought my supra used and both knock sensors are broken. which, from what i hear, often happens when the HG is being done. also, the car appears to have some upgrades (lex afm and possibly 680cc's but they could still be stock, i have a box for 680s with a set in there but havent flow tested any of them yet) which leads me to believe that the person had at least a little bit of knowledge.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
kwnate;1324482 said:
You crack me up.

Oh Nate I changed my mind. It was a lot of money to get a 1jz bell housing, motor mounts, flywheel, learn the wiring and do it myself, stock 2jz twins don't fit without modifying it.

So I got a 1jz swap that has all that including a rear sump oil pan, the swap I got came from a jza70. Sorry I crack you up..

I also know some people will give me shit for saying I was goign with a 2jz, but I am not rich enough to spend all that money when a JDM 2jz has the same HP as a 1jz, USDM's have 320.. should invest in one of those.

Also I think the 1jz has a speed limiter? This may be an issue for me. The 7M that was in my car was stock. The guy cut both cats off and put straight pipes, besides that all stock my Supra got me to 150 no issues and quite fast.

Btw: All your trim is off minus the rear and the tail, which will be off tomorrow, and then I can package it up well, and then ship it Monday.

have a great night.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
kwnate;1324826 said:
You'll be happy with the 1j, put a y pipe on it before you install the motor. Doing it when the engine is in the car makes you kick babies.

Awesome I will make sure I do that. 2100.00 to me is a great price for getting everything. It is hard enough finding them with rear sumps, let alone out of a Supra.

Hopefully everything goes well, I am excited to try this motor out.