91 7mgte engine dieing, needs lots of help please!

mk3f4i

Oct 27, 2011
Tampa, FL
Hey all, I am stumped on this and I could really use some input. My 91 supra with 7mgte is dieing while I drive. The engine will die (no sputter, no noise), rpms drop to nill, no response from engine, clutch starting doesn't work, turning key doesn't work. Sometimes she'll kick back on after a few seconds and sometimes I'll have to coast to the shoulder and it'll take extra time after coming to a complete stop for it to start back up. Normally when attempting to restart the engine or, on occasion, cold start the engine, the engine will turn repeatedly, but will fail to start up. Engine throws code 12 and/or 14, forgot which, but code is for ECU, CPS, and igniter circuit. ECU is supposedly not getting IGF signal at times. In an attempt to fix this, I have changed the starter contacts, replaced the ECU, igniter, CPS, spark plugs, wires, and have done testing on coils. I've had shops in the area look at it, but it never seems to die while at the shops or not do it enough for them to really see what's going on.

I do have a Clifford alarm, any chance that might be my issue? (immobilizer??)
I'm thinking that wires in my wiring harness might be shorting, what do you guys think?? please, any help would be GREATLY appreciated. :1zhelp: :cry:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
There is no supposedly about not getting IGF. 12 means the ECU is not recieving the pick up signal from the CPS. A 20 year old car can easily have wiring issues like brittle, corrosion, or broken.

KTM530

Supramania Contributor
Jan 24, 2011
santa rosa
sounds like CPS, "http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Distributor/_/N-93xku?filterByKeyWord=31-74610&fromString=search&isSearchByPartNumber=true"
pretty good deal for a like new replacement. but you should make sure its your problem before buying one.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
When it does it get out and jiggle the cps wires by the the connector and see if it starts up.

mk3f4i

Oct 27, 2011
Tampa, FL
I have already replaced the CPS (first thing I did actually). Nick, I do agree with the brittle/boken/corroded/otherwise crappy old wiring. This is why I'm thinking short, fried, or otherwise damaged wires in the wiring harness. All three parts: CPS, Igniter, and ECU are all basically in one big loop, and I think the wiring issue is there...maybe. I don't believe I have tried giggling the CPS wires however when she dies. I shall try that next I think. Thanks for the info guys...I'll take any more that can be offered.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Yeah-
Hvyman is referring to the CPS wires on the harness side of the plug- the ones you can't replace unless you splice.
Jiggle those.