90T-Rattling noise from block, timing issue?? Updated

GringoEJS

Jun 20, 2005
Kansas City
First of all, this was a turbo conversion...I have done several with no problems but my car isn't quite stock. I posted before a video of what the car does. recapping my old thread:

"Hey, in 2 weeks it makes a year since we did our turbo conversion, but don't have the car running right. The car runs, and you can drive it, but there are several issues going on. One of the main alarming issues, is that it is hard to start. Turning the key over for a good 15 seconds it will choke and cough and finally fire up. Once running, there is an obvious rattling sound going on inside the motor, the idle lopes, and if we just rev the motor a little off and on for around a minute, it will then idle smoothly and run fine (well-more on that later).
Anyway, while it is trying to idle, there is that rattling sound, seemingly coming from the lower end. Once the idle finally smooths out, it is gone, and no more problems-will rev fine and drive.
1st of all, the motor was recently rebuilt. Great compression, oil full. Again, it is not rod knock, but seemingly a timing issue, but timing is dead on. I have swapped out AFMs, ECUs, coil packs, and CPS with known good extras I have.
Can anyone put us on the right track before it snows?"
This was 5 months ago...

Oh, and the link to the 4 min video: http://media.putfile.com/Engine-rattling

Update...It was finally a nice day outside so I went ahead and swapped the complete upper intake manifold (with a good TPS, IAC, and Cold Start Injector). No real difference. It was still a little hard to start, then the idle was erratic, rattled inside, and then finally everything was fine and it idled around 800. I also drove it to the muffler shop some 12 miles away and back. It still sputters if I don't continuously ease into the gas, and a little under load going uphill even at 3000 RPMs causing me to downshift.
Sad...as many MK3 Supras I have saved and put back on the road over the years, and I can't even get mine running right.

Last edited:

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
could it be piston slap? maybe your injectors?

it doesnt really sound like rod knock like you said, cause its not that kind of a constant beat/tone from the engine...

turbo sounds nice though. haha

90T04

Mar 30, 2005
Tucson, AZ
www.azsupras.com
How is the crank pulley? I had one that made a ridiculous amount of noise when it was coming loose. That sounds like it should be something majorly off or broken or loose. Are you sure its not coming from the clutch or anything?

iheartmx83

May 8, 2007
CA
90T04;964556 said:
How is the crank pulley? I had one that made a ridiculous amount of noise when it was coming loose. That sounds like it should be something majorly off or broken or loose. Are you sure its not coming from the clutch or anything?

sounds like somethings loose, crank bolt have to be pretty tight, and yes they do come apart. have you checked the timing ? boost leak maybe ?

GringoEJS

Jun 20, 2005
Kansas City
Well, what seems to rule out the clutch, piston slap, or injectors is that if you rev it over 1200 or so, the rattle isn't heard, the engine quits vibrating, and it seems to run fine. Also, after 5 minutes or so when it warms up, it is no longer heard. Only when the motor is cold.
Also, while driving today, I noticed as long as I accelerated in gear, it ran best. If I took my foot off the gas coasting, it would begin backfiring.
Before we did the turbo conversion, this car was a daily driver for years.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
what rpm are you idleing at? The rods do get pretty noisy when the engine is barely idleing at less than or around 500 rpm ive found on most engines

GringoEJS

Jun 20, 2005
Kansas City
The passenger motor mount is broken. I don't know what kind of rods or injectors I have. I bought the drivetrain like this, the motor had been rebuilt, but I didn't get any real info other than the obvious new parts you can see. After the initial frustrating 4 minutes for it to warm up, it idles perfectly with no strange sounds. It is a 5-speed...

Last edited:

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
Check engine light on? pulled codes? try using a scope when its cold....just to see if you can pin-point the noise. Me personally if you dont know what kind of injectors i would pull them and have them checked...just to make sure. I would never use something like that w/o checking it first......

Me personally it sounds like an exhaust rattle of some sort. noise is louder from the exhaust side and sounds like poping from inside the manifold. But i can only guess from the sound on the video. My old turbo did that with a cheap aftermarket manifold

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
its REALLY hard to figure out what it is through the internet... especially when you say its not certain things...

maybe you could make a longer video, and go all around the car and let us listen to the noise...

werewolves182

is without a supra :(
Aug 23, 2005
Crownsville, MD
It sounds to me like the passenger motor mount being broken is causing your engine to vibrate, causing the rattle you hear. Especially if it works it self out at higher RPM's. Id say replace that and go from there.

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
I would pull the crank pulley and lower timing cover and get a nice good look at the crankshaft keyway and make sure the crank timing gear is still in one piece. That's just me though.

GringoEJS

Jun 20, 2005
Kansas City
I haven't messed with it since last week. We are waiting to get a muffler on it this Thursday. I will also swap the passenger motor mount and maybe the injectors as well to rule those out. I have lots of extra parts, so it is only labor to rule things out. I'll post back once we can fiddle with the car without all the neighbors hearing us start the car every time.

GringoEJS

Jun 20, 2005
Kansas City
Well, a lot of progress has finally been made. We got the exhaust finished with a muffler. The car is no longer ridiculously loud, and while driving home from the muffler shop, I could still hear the rattling from near the shifter (where before it was drowned out by the open exhaust). Dropped the transmission last night and it turns out the flywheel was loose. A bolt had even worked itself out. We eliminated the hard start by swapping the green coolant sensor and we set the settings on the boost controller. Hopefully the car will finally be finished this week. It has been over 18 months since it was last a daily driver.