90 Turbo won't start

cykornr

Aug 21, 2005
Newark
Well my 90 Turbo died. Did some checking then called a tow truck. About 30 min later it started for about 2 min. Troubleshooting gave me a code 14. Changed the igniter and CPS, no joy, checked the timing the intake cam was 1 tooth advanced, reset it. I have ohmed the wires from the igniter and CPS they are OK except for the #3. The black wire from the CPS, has a high resistance of 250k ohms. Right now the car tries to start but pops a code 14, every time.
Is there anything else to check before I get a new ECU? Is there any place in the states that can test the ECU?

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
So you found a faulty wire but you want to change ecu's ?

Is it just me or does that sound al little strange?
Did you try replacing the cps or the wire to the ecu ? 20 year old wires tend to wear and break from time to time.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Check for spark when it doesn't start. When you see it spark, then it that should tell you that the circuit from the ignitor to the ECU (IGf) is not complete.

tsupranami

Drain Bamaged
Mar 11, 2006
Eastern WA
How many confirmed ECU failures are there? And of the ones that failed, how many failed NOT due to abuse (incorrect connections or faulty wiring).

I didn't think Toyota ECU's failed very often by themselves.

However, I have replaced all wiring harnesses on my cars because I kept having broken-wire issues around the CPS and coils, resulting in cars that won't start...

Hree's a pic of my bad CPS plug... the blue wire is hanging on by a thread, but not enough to carry the signal. It showed continuity, but at elevated resistance as you noted. If yours looks even remotely like this, it is probably the problem.

100_3586..jpg

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
OP: Although it's possible to get 14 from a faulty CPS due to the way error codes are processed it's far more likely to be what Nick said: loss of IGf. That said I can thoroughly test your ECU should you desire to have it done. I seriously doubt it's your problem however.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
jetjock;1589790 said:
OP: Although it's possible to get 14 from a faulty CPS due to the way error codes are processed it's far more likely to be what Nick said: loss of IGf. That said I can thoroughly test your ECU should you desire to have it done. I seriously doubt it's your problem however.

I am assuming he doesn't also have 12, but I don't know you can have both. That is why I said IGf.

cykornr

Aug 21, 2005
Newark
Thanks for the suggestions, this is what I have done so far. I have changed the CPS and igniter. I have checked all the connectors and replaced any that were questionable. Also I ran a jumper wire from the igniter to the ECU with the same results. I got a hold of a ECU, and you guessed it, the problem remains the same, I clear the codes, attempt to start the car, it has an initial fire and that is it. check for codes, 14. Is there anything else I can check?
Thanks.