90 Turbo, won't start-Searched- HELP!

GringoEJS

Jun 20, 2005
Kansas City
I also posted this over on Supraforums hoping to get an answer...OK, did a turbo conversion correctly. The car ran for several days while trying to work the bugs out. ISC was blocked off causing it to die during shifts...anyway, while playing with that, the car will no longer start.
Timing at TDC has crank at 0, cams at 12 o'clock, CPS is right, getting spark and fuel, 180+ lbs on all 6, swapped ECU, AFM, CPS, coil pack, and still nothing different. It sounds like it wants to fire up, but just spins over. Will backfire (sounds like a gunshot) after 8 seconds of cranking.
WTF happened? I've been searching all over

I need some new leads to follow. The car has not ran in 2 months...HELP!!!

Last edited:

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
The backfire makes it sound like timing. I would triple and quadruple check the cam to crank timing (maybe it skipped a couple teeth), also double check the plug wires for proper firing order.

You say its getting fuel..at what pressure? is it possible its not getting enough, or possibly even too much. If you have comression, you have solid blue spark at all 6, and your getting fuel, the only other thing it could be is timing.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
The backfire makes it sound like timing. I would triple and quadruple check the cam to crank timing (maybe it skipped a couple teeth), also double check the plug wires for proper firing order.

You say its getting fuel..at what pressure? is it possible its not getting enough, or possibly even too much. If you have comression, you have solid blue spark at all 6, and your getting fuel, the only other thing it could be is timing.

supraman16

SUPRASAVER
Jul 23, 2006
Atlanta
I had the same problem after dropping in a JDM engine,found out cam position sensor was out of time. Play with the cam position sensor or go on TSRM for proper adjustent.

GringoEJS

Jun 20, 2005
Kansas City
Well, after forever, we got it running. It turned out when the car first quit running, timing, fuel and spark were checked at first. Well, the way we checked fuel was by opening the fuel rail bolt and saw pressurized gas spray out. We figured that was fine. Checked and swapped many things to find that we quit hearing the fuel pump, but the jumper at FP and Te1 operated it. Swapped the circuit opening relay in the passenger kick panel. Then while cranking, we could tell now we were getting too much gas and we were flooding it. Well, 6 new NGKs and the car runs good again. Man, all that work I did to it to find a relay and 6 spark plugs was the cure. The 22 below freezing highs we have had these last 6 weeks have not helped either.
Back to figuring out the ISC issue....