90 supra replacing 91 supra, planning for water ic

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
livinasask8er;1344734 said:
My first and only car, a 91 supra auto, with a sunroof, a flawless interior, stock everthing, and 87k miles on original everything except the tranny, was totaled on december 12 08. The lady driving the other car thought that, since she couldn't see the oncoming lane, that must have meant that there were no cars coming and she tried to make her left turn anyways. She floored it (I noticed her car was leaned back) and i t boned her at 40mph:
if you havent seen the thread, here's more of the story with pics:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99237

after looking for over 6 months all over cali on craigslist for something I can work with, I decided that I should fix it. Then I found this 2 hours from me in Santa Rosa; a 1990 supra, grey out and cloth in, hardtop, manual, apexi power intake, 3.5in custom catback, lowered on TEMS compatible springs, 17in rims with 245/45 tires in the front and 275/40 tires in the back, apexi electronic boost controller, and 86k miles. Quite the find, it cost me more and it's a year older, but I think the stuff that comes with it costs as much as the differance. Still has the original hg (it's leaking, along with the turbo) Bought it on Sunday 7-5-09

p1361568_1.jpg

p1361568_2.jpg

p1361568_3.jpg

p1361568_4.jpg

p1361568_5.jpg

p1361568_6.jpg

p1361568_7.jpg

p1361568_8.jpg

I'd show you guys the back seats but they've been flatened to fit some other stuff that the previous owner got for the car too. Trust me, the back is just as clean.

so my plan is as follows:
-register it (as non-op)
-hg change
-send off turbo for rebuild
-have exhaust manifold and turbine housing ceramic coated
I want to get the following:
-bic rerouted ddp, also going to be ceramic coated
-electric exhaust cutout
-3in cat
-apexi dual n-1 muffler for a s14 240sx
-hks 3000 pipe replacement
-frozenboost.com water intercooler
-and some kind of tuner that can have a street and race preset

that's right, a water intercooler. I've always had a problem with the 1.5in (i'm exagerating) piping that goes from the turbo to the front of the car, drops 3 psi to fill the intercooler, comes back out to enter the passenger side fender and goes into the engine bay to connect to the 3000 pipe and THEN enter the throttle body.

I want to make new piping that makes a 180 bend from the turbo compressor outlet angled a bit towards the back (towards the firewall) and have a pipe go up from that in between the turbo and passenger strut tower, and then a 90 bend towards the fender, another 90 to go around the strut tower at the top, and then a pipe will go into a water intercooler, with 2.5in in/outlets, placed a bit back and over the air filter/afm assembly, and a pipe will go from that to the hks hardpipe.

The intercooler I want has a endtank that enters from a 90 degree angle and on the other side will be an endtank that comes out straight, it's rated for over 450cfm, and has a pressure drop of 0.05 psi (it says <0.1, I forgot where but I once read .05)

As for the 91 supra, It'll stick around until I'm sure I wont need anything from it for the 90 supra, then I'll try to sell it.

I'm looking towards possibly getting a lexus afm housing, walbro 255 pump, fpr, and 550 injectors because I'd like to see how many mpg's I can get out of a car and be able to put out 300 hp at the wheels, but I'll see first how long it'll take me to do the other stuff, and if the power that it'll put out then will satisfy enough. I know, I laughed, too.

And then I'll work on the luxuries:
-remove walmart do-it-urself tint off hatch
-find out why a/c compressor turns but air never gets cold (as in, I want to find the leak)
-fix stereo so that it'll play on the front speakers, too, and load enough to actually hear (I'm just gonna replace it all with a system)
-speaking of speakers, I want to also get 91-92 door panels

I've already started, but don't refresh the page every hour to see what I'm up to, I'm gonna work on this on my days off, if I'm not too tired, and if my dad is willing to help (he's still mad about working so hard on the 91):

p1361568_9.jpg

I'll try to have an update at least once a week.

I'm gonna miss you... *sniff* you've taught me so much... *voice cracks* goodbye:
p1361568_10.jpg

hello beautiful:
p1361568_11.jpg

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
damn clean! good find. are you going to use the wrecked one as a parts car or sell off the parts to fund the engine build?

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
nice find! i would just part out the other car if i were you, then you can also use the money from that to work on the new supra u got, at least you got a mk3 again. that was some crazy accident, sucks though :/

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
I'd take anything you might need off the 91 and then part it. If the interior is nice then you'll get a pretty penny for it alone.

BTW, the 6.5 in speaker pods from the 91 are a direct fit to any supra so you can swap those into you 90 and not have to worry about the door panels.

What kind of stereo set up does the 91 have in it?

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
mecevans;1361785 said:
damn clean! good find. are you going to use the wrecked one as a parts car or sell off the parts to fund the engine build?

I'm gonna keep the 91 around until I'm sure I wont need anything else from it, then possibly part it out. I'd still like to fix it though. We'll see.

DBN;1361869 said:
Looks like the same exhaust I have... Tanabe Hyper Medallion by any chance? Good find.

no idea, the guy I bought it off couldn't remember the name of his mods very well cus he owned the car for 4 years and did this stuff to it a long time ago. I can find out though, will it say that on the muffler? by the way, 3.5 catback piping was custom made by an exhaust shop

DBN;1361876 said:
Anything wrong with the engine in the 91? If not why don't you use that one?

cus me and my dad don't want to take an engine out, find a place to put it, take another engine out, then put that engine in another car. also, I kinda want to keep evreything together, you know... original.

gtsfirefighter;1362456 said:
I'd take anything you might need off the 91 and then part it. If the interior is nice then you'll get a pretty penny for it alone.

BTW, the 6.5 in speaker pods from the 91 are a direct fit to any supra so you can swap those into you 90 and not have to worry about the door panels.

really? that's cool, I'll do that then. I do like the look of 91+ door panels, so if I find those when I get to that point i'll change the whole panels anyways. anyone have any?

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
gtsfirefighter;1362456 said:

stock, dual DIN am/fm cassette

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
me and my dad got the cylinder head off on saturday:
p1363890_1.jpg

I've decided that i'm not gonna do the afm/fuel upgrade for now, since i've just realised how expensive it would be to do so. I still wanna get a tuner that can hold two maps, because I think the reason the supra gets such low mpg's is because the a/f ratio is probably always rich incase you wanna boost, and becuase of the breathing restrictions. I hope to get above 28 mpg (hwy). Just to see if its possible, the mpg really isnt a problem, it's just that my dad used to get over 30 mpg in his '96 3.0L v6 camry when he had it, and all he did was put a tube from where the foglight was supposed to be to the air filter box.

Anyways, my dad says that we have to get the head checked to see if it needs to be resurfaced, so I have to take the head apart.

Also, all the white stuff on the engine is salt. Theres also some rust on the engine oil pan and on the side of the block where it looks like some paint chipped. Should I be worried?

Another thing, the path where the water ic pipng was gonna take isn't gonna happen because there's just enough room for a tube to sqeeze in between the turbo and strut tower, without leaving any room for engine movement, so i'm gonna have to come up with another design, maybe one that involves clocking the compressor housing. I found this pic of a celica alltrac:
3sgte.jpg

That's how direct i'd like my intake to be.

I found a few differences between my 91 supra and my 90 supra:
91 throttle body
p1363890_2.jpg

p1363890_3.jpg

90 throttle body
p1363890_4.jpg

p1363890_5.jpg

91 speedo
p1363890_6.jpg

90 speedo
p1363890_7.jpg

and then the obvious, door panels:
p1363890_8.jpg

p1363890_9.jpg

toyota emblem on the 91 vs supra emblem on the 90, 5 spoke rims on the 91 vs sawblades on the 90, sunroof option on the 91 blah blah blah is there a list of this out there? u know, changes on the mkiii over the years? i've never found one, I had to piece it together myself from lots of searches on google over the past year an a half, and i've forgotten a lot of it. One thing that I remeber reading once was that the hoodstruts where available only in '91, or was it until '91? cus the 90 supra has them.

I'm scheduled to work a lot this week, so I'm probably not gonna get much done until next week. I ordered the BIC ddp though, rerouted, flex section, and second 02 bung. 3-4 weeks for bild time?! I'm not gonna get this til the end of summer. Thanks for following, I'll keep everone posted.

DBN

FML
Jan 22, 2009
Fairfield, Ca
The muffler tip should say it on the left side. Mines does. It just looks exactly the same including the piping. Is it very quiet? If so then I believe it is. Good progress and I can agree with not wanting two engines laying around and all the other extra work.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
There's alot more sound deadening in your 91 than the 90...

as for hood struts, all MKIII's got them, despite the year...

I have an 86.5 and a 1992, so I span the entire production, and honestly there are WAAAYYY too many differences to ever convert the 86.5 into a "passable" 1992...

but things worth keeping is definitely your trim (or what's left), rims, door panels, covers, speakers, and (as you already swapped) speedo...

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
DBN;1363907 said:
The muffler tip should say it on the left side. Mines does. It just looks exactly the same including the piping. Is it very quiet? If so then I believe it is. Good progress and I can agree with not wanting two engines laying around and all the other extra work.

it's a dynomax muffler.

RazoE;1363941 said:
There's alot more sound deadening in your 91 than the 90...

as for hood struts, all MKIII's got them, despite the year...

I have an 86.5 and a 1992, so I span the entire production, and honestly there are WAAAYYY too many differences to ever convert the 86.5 into a "passable" 1992...

but things worth keeping is definitely your trim (or what's left), rims, door panels, covers, speakers, and (as you already swapped) speedo...

I didn't swap the speedo, but i am going to. As soon as the 90 supra reaches 87442 miles lol.

I thought that because I read this on wikipedia:

"For the 1991 model year, the wheel design was changed to 5-spoke wheels. Both models wore 16x7 aluminum alloy wheels that were fitted with 225/50/16 tires and full-sized spares on steel wheels. It was also the last Supra to come with hood struts and a full-sized spare wheel since they added weight."

but it also says "This article needs additional citations for verification" on the top of the page, so i'm gonna go with what you said. Everyone on this forum knows too much about supras to let a wikipedia page about the car be incorrect. Being a little biased, I'd like to at least see the mkiii section updated :)

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
I've learned from my Supras, SM, and supras at junkyards, hahah..

Its fun to rip apart a crashed supra, avoiding broken glass and not worrying what you do to it as you remove what you need...

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
RazoE;1365030 said:
I've learned from my Supras, SM, and supras at junkyards, hahah..

Its fun to rip apart a crashed supra, avoiding broken glass and not worrying what you do to it as you remove what you need...

i've only had my supra and google (most of the results are SM anyways lol) to learn from, but now i need to go to a junkyard to see one built because i need to plan out a design for the water ic setup that i want to build, and i can't do it with the 90 supra cus the only thing in there is the short block, and the 91 doesn't accurately potray the free space that the 90 had when it was still together. i want to get that done before the bic ddp comes. is it really gonna take a month for it?

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
some updates and pics:

i took pics of the rust on the block:
p1373665_1.jpg

p1373665_2.jpg

I'm not gonna do anything about it for now. Should I?

I took a pic of the 3000 pipe to get a close up of the salt:
p1373665_3.jpg

Any ideas on where this car's been or why some of the engine is covered with salt?

This is what my camshafts look like (the bearings on the head don't look so good either):
p1373665_4.jpg

p1373665_5.jpg

And one of my exhaust valve seats and one of my intake valve seats:
p1373665_6.jpg

A local machine shop told me I need a head rebuild. This is cutting into my Supra-driving time. I showed them my headgasket while I was there, so that they would know what the head's been through:
p1373665_7.jpg

They said that al that white crap is some kind a sealer that's used for a radiator leak. Well, it looks like the sealer found the leak.

I couldn't get the shop that rebuilt my last turbo (the one on the 91 supra) on the phone for two days so I figured that if they're too busy to answer the phone; they'd take like a month to rebuild the one on the 90 supra. So I decided that I'd use the one on the 91:
p1373665_8.jpg

Notice the oil in the inlet?

Also, on a side note, is the turbine housing supposed to look like that? It turned that color the next day after running it for the first time over a year ago and it never changed back. Infact, that stuff comes off. It feels like chalk.

Anyways, about that oil in the inlet, I took a closer look (and a pic):
p1373665_9.jpg

Fuck! What the hell happened?! I guess a piece of the air box broke off or something like that from the crash. Damn! I tried calling the turbo rebuild shop again right after discovering this and they answered. Said that it would be $95 for another compressor wheel, ontop of another full rebuild because it ran unbalanced, causing the leak. I asked them how long will a standard rebuild take and they said 10-12 days. That didn't sound bad, so I shipped the turbo from the 90 supra (the one with a fully intact compressor wheel) last Thursday.

That's what I have for now, I plan to take apart the head to check the rest of the valve seats (and valve faces). I'm expecting to find the rest of the exhaust valve seats and faces to look the same; same for the intake. I think the exhaust valve looking so bad has something to do with the exhaust cam gear being a tooth off (it needs to be turned counterclockwise) when I first saw it. Then I'll get a valve job, get the head back on the block and assemble everything on the intake side with a fel pro head gasket kit, and start measuring for the water ic piping with help from the turbo from the 91 supra (I have to finish getting it off though). Then I can decide which type of water ic (style of endtanks) to get.

I've been told that I don't have to worry about the exhaust cam gear being off in this thread: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101767
And that a Fel Pro will be fine in this thread: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101674

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Although I haven't posted, I did keep working on the supra, just kept procrastinating the updates. Short story: I drove it out of the garage on 9/17/09 in the afternoon. Long story:

When I got my BIC downpipe, I was dissapointed by the placement of the second 02 bung becasue I read in a thread that It had to be atleast 18in. from the turbo
p1424082_1.jpg

So I posted in said thread and it turns out that the wideband can run that close to the turbo with a heatsink:http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99895&page=3

When I got my mishimoto radiator I started this thread: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105577
livinasask8er;1403557 said:
I bought a mishimoto radiator (Mishimoto (86-92) Supra MK3 Aluminum Radiators - Manual) from horsepowerfreaks.com on 8/15/09 and didn't try to install it until two days ago and ran into multiple problems:

This is as close as I can get the stock shroud to the threads, and that's after taking the two ruber things off the bottom:
p1424082_2.jpg

p1424082_3.jpg

p1424082_4.jpg

Also notice that the shroud is over half an inch longer than the radiator (on the left in the first pic).

I tried to see how the rad would fit in the engine bay, just to see if maybe it's worth modding:
p1424082_5.jpg

It doesn't go all the way down...
p1424082_6.jpg

... because when you get one side to match the rad support...
p1424082_7.jpg

... the other side doesn't line up. I compared it to the stock rad:
p1424082_8.jpg

Another thing, the shroud sits like 1/4" off the rad in some places when placed on top of the rad like in the first pic, I don't have a pic of this though.

From Mishimoto's site; the mkiii supra page (http://www.mishimoto.com/toyota-supra-performance-aluminum-radiator-86-92.html): "(...)Every Mishimoto aluminum radiator is a direct OEM fit, making installation effortless with no cutting or modification required(...)"

So when I make my warranty claim, should I ask for a replacement because this is a 1:1000 manufacturing defect, or should I ask for my money back because mishimoto rads suck? I'm leaning towards the latter since it says made in china on the box, and because I'm thinking that maybe I don't need an upgrade since it's going to be a daily driver in the bay area, going WOT to ~10 psi to impress a passenger every once in a while.

These were the e-mails with technical support:

September 14, 2009 8:10 AM
Chris@mishimoto.com:
Hello,

Do you have a warranty issue?

Thanks,

Chris
Mishimoto Automotive

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:38 PM
To: chris@mishimoto.com
Subject: Warranty Request

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 8.5.409 / Virus Database: 270.13.95/2368 - Release Date: 09/14/09
05:51:00
September 14, 2009 1:20 PM
me:
Thanks for responding. Based on your response and the copy of my message below (Original Message), I'm guessing that the form on the contact page on the Mishimoto site (http://www.mishimoto.com/contact.html) failed to send the message I wrote, so I'll write it again:

I bought a Mishimoto radiator [Mishimoto (86-92) Supra MK3 Aluminum Radiators - Manual] on 8/15/09 for my 1990 Toyota Supra, Turbo and when I tried to intall it on 9/07/09 I ran into the following issues:

1. The holes in the stock shroud don't line up close enough to the threads in the Mishimoto Performance (MP) radiator to place the screws in without it warping the stock shroud, and that's without the two rubber "spacers" at the bottom of the stock shroud.

2. With the stock shroud laying on MP radiator with the holes matching as close as possible as stated above, the stock shroud is over half an inch longer than the MP radiator, meaning that, in the largest dimension, the MP radiator is approximately 1/2" shorter than the stock radiator.

3. I took the shroud back off and tried to see how the MP radiator fits in the car to see if maybe it wouldn't require to much modification to properly function, but it turned out that it wouldn't drop all the way in because it didn't line up to the two lower supports in the car. I took it back out and compared it to the stock radiator; the two supports on the bottom of the MP radiator were about a quarter of an inch (1/4") closer to each other than stock specifications.

It states on the page on the Mishimoto site that displays the info on this radiator (http://www.mishimoto.com/toyota-supra-performance-aluminum-radiator-86-92.html) that "Every Mishimoto aluminum radiator is a direct OEM fit, making installation effortless with no cutting or modification required". This radiator does require modification to fit and, unless you can exchange mine with one that is a direct OEM fit with transportion costs covered for both sending this radiator to Mishimoto and sending me a new one, I would like a refund. I have photos of the above problems if requested. Thank you for your time.

Jaime Hernandez
September 14, 2009 1:32 PM
Chris@mishimoto.com:
Hi Jaime,

We have seen that some of the radiators were getting bent or warped in transit. Can you measure to see that your radiator is perfectly square?

Thanks,

Chris
Mishimoto Automotive
September 15, 2009 5:56 PM
me:
Yes, the radiator is square.

Jaime Hernandez
September 16, 2009 7:44 AM
Chris@mishimoto.com:
Hmmmm, ok. Let me send this to Rod and Andrew to see if they can help troubleshoot.

Thanks,

Chris
Mishimoto Automotive
September 16, 2009 9:55 AM
andrew@mishimoto.com:
Hi Jaime,

Can you check the box and let me know what the part number listed on the side says? You may have received the 93-98 radiator by mistake. Also, please e-mail me some photos when you have a chance.
September 16, 2009 10:13 PM
me:
Hi Andrew,

It says MMRAD-SUP-86 on the side of the box. Here are the pictures:

This is as close as I can get the stock shroud to the threads, and that's after taking the two ruber things off the bottom:
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss168/livinasask8er/DSC03130.jpg
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss168/livinasask8er/DSC03131.jpg
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss168/livinasask8er/DSC03132.jpg
Also notice that the shroud is over half an inch longer than the radiator (on the left in the first pic).

I tried to see how the rad would fit in the engine bay, just to see if maybe it's worth modding:
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss168/livinasask8er/DSC03129.jpg
It doesn't go all the way down...
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss168/livinasask8er/DSC03125.jpg
... because when you get one side to match the rad support...
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss168/livinasask8er/DSC03126.jpg
... the other side doesn't line up. I compared it to the stock rad:
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss168/livinasask8er/DSC03133.jpg

Another thing, the shroud sits like 1/4" off the rad in some places when placed on top of the rad like in the first pic, I don't have a pic of this though.
September 21, 2009 11:50 AM
andrew@mishimoto.com:
Hi Jaime,

Is your car Turbo or NA?
September 22, 2009 3:01 PM
me:
It's turbo (original, not swapped).
September 23, 2009 7:45 AM
dan@mishimoto.com:
Hey Jamie,

Thank you for sending those pictures earlier. Could you please make some overall measurements of the radiator and core(height, width, Length) This would be helpful info to solve this problem.

Thanks,

Dan
Mishimoto R&D
September 23, 2009 3:43 PM
me:
Hi Dan,

Here are the measurements:
p1424082_9.jpg

p1424082_10.jpg

While measuring I found a few other things:

The area around the upper support in the top-right of the photo appears to be bent upwards:
p1424082_11.jpg

The endtanks are also bent, both of them seem to point towards the back (as in, if mounted, towards the engine):
p1424082_12.jpg

p1424082_13.jpg

p1424082_14.jpg

Also, the radiator doesn't seem perfectly square if you look at it from the side (the photo at the top of this reply shows this; the first of the photos with the measurements), but it's not warped enough to cause problems. What I mean is that there are sufficient problems excluding the warping to make this radiator non-functional for my application.

-Jaime Hernandez
September 24, 2009 9:34 AM
dan@mishimoto.com:
Hey Jamie, were trying to figure out what is going on with these radiators. Please be patient, I'll let you know when we have the solution to this problem.

Dan
Mishimoto R&D
September 24, 2009 10:19 AM
andrew@mishimoto.com:
Jaime,

It appears that you have a bad part. Can you please send me your address and phone numner so that we can take care of this for you? I apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks,
Andrew Goodman
Mishimoto

Sent from my iPhone
September 24, 2009 10:41 AM
me:
--my address and number--
September 24, 2009 10:54 AM
Chris@mishimoto.com:
Hi Jaime,

Please bear with us as we are trying to sort out this problem. We think that we have received a mis-labeled batch off of the production line.

I will get you out a correct one, once we get this messed sorted out. Please bear with me for a couple of days.

Thanks for your patience,

Chris
Mishimoto Automotive
September 24, 2009 1:49 PM
dan@mishimoto.com:
Jamie, I understand that the radiator is not square and is warped... when you put it in the car to test fit it, was it sitting all the way in those lower brackets?

Dan
Mishimoto R&D
September 24, 2009 3:18 PM
me:
No, the "supports" at the bottom of the radiator (the two aluminum dowels at the bottom of the radiator) are to close to each other (about a quarter of an inch too close) to go into either of the lower supports in the car.
October 5, 2009 7:58 AM
sales@mishimoto.com:
Thank you for ordering from Mishimoto Automotive!

DATE: 5-Oct-2009
ORDER #:
REFERENCE #: 5503
CUSTOMER PO#:

SOLD TO:
========
jaime hernandez
368 virginia dr
livermore CA 94550

SHIPPED TO:
===========
jaime hernandez
368 virginia dr
livermore CA 94550

==================================================================
Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 MMRAD-SUP-86 Mishimoto 86-92 Toyota Supra Radiator, Manual $0.00 Extended: $0.00

==================================================================

Product Total: $0.00
Sales Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $0.00
Discount: $0.00
Surcharge: $0.00
Grand Total: $0.00
BalanceDue: $0.00

http://www.mishimoto.com

Thanks for your order!

The new radiator came today 10/7/09 and it was packaged the same (I thought they had a problem with warping in transit) and I measured how far apart the aluminum dowels are at the bottom of the radiator and how wide the core is; the measurements are the same as the ones from the other MP radiator, I didn't make any other measurements. My dad said that we can fix it, and to not bother with mishimoto support anymore. I'm gonna sleep on it, and I'm also gonna continue the update tomorrow with other stuff about the car.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Check your accordian pipe! The insides might be falling apart and a piece may have damaged your turbo. I doubt it's the air box because it would need to make it through the AFM first.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Hey, we're dealing with the same problem! We even dealt with the same guy, Chris! I'm still waiting for my radiator to arrive, I hope it's better than the one I got. At least your upper supports were in the right spot! The lowers on mine didn't line up right, either. I would figure that augering out the lower rubber support would be much easier than doing anything else, though. Good luck!

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Sawbladz;1424206 said:
Check your accordian pipe! The insides might be falling apart and a piece may have damaged your turbo. I doubt it's the air box because it would need to make it through the AFM first.
I didn't give it much thought because I already had the '90 supra when I found this, but it's true the pieces would have had to get through the air straightener I'll look into why the '91's turbo was damaged before I get rid of the car, which is soon.

More pics of what turned from a build into a maintenance thread (more about that later):

This is the head finally bolted to the block, after shaving down the back timing plate that stuck up .002" on the exhaust side and .012" on the intake side with a file (8/30/09):
p1424611_1.jpg

Opening the box for the turbo ~a week after I get it (9/3/09):
p1424611_2.jpg

I took a picture of the turbine, since I have pics of the cold side from when I got my last turbo back but I never took any from the hot side:
p1424611_3.jpg

Getting close (9/7/09):
p1424611_4.jpg

We forgot about the manifold's heatshields so my dad tried to squeeze it in:
p1424611_5.jpg

He did get it in, but after unbolting the turbo from the manifold, the oil lines from the block, and a few other things.
Here's the elbow of the downpipe:
p1424611_6.jpg

Here's how the HKS 3000 pipe looks:
p1424611_7.jpg

p1424611_8.jpg

I'm not gonna use it for now because my dad said that he wants the car out of the garage as soon as possible so I decided that when I retorque the head I'll put in the water ic intake that I wanted to put together. Btw the ID is 2.49 in., the trottle body's ID is 2.56 in., I don't know where "2.75in all the way through to match the trottle body" came from.

I found another difference between the '90 and the '91, here's the power steering hardline from the '90:
p1424611_9.jpg

p1424611_10.jpg

p1424611_11.jpg

This was in the same place in the '91:
p1424611_12.jpg

I also took pics of how we were working on the car, as in the confined space that we used (8/26/09, btw this is all mostly for me to look back on, that's why there are so many pointless pics):
p1424611_13.jpg

p1424611_14.jpg

p1424611_15.jpg

p1424611_16.jpg

p1424611_17.jpg

p1424611_18.jpg

p1424611_19.jpg

p1424611_20.jpg

Gonna take a break again.