89T with GT35R and FFIM

Spiv

hooligan
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando, Fl
Whew, been a long time since I did much posting on here, I've just been cracking away at this car after work here and there for ~10 months. It's not quite done yet, but I just got her running again yesterday, first drive this afternoon. Consider me an excited parent showing you pictures of his baby.

4676678749_c29e6a1e1f_b.jpg

4676680141_9c77950a0f_b.jpg

4677309750_18c209896e_b.jpg

4677311238_b978d227e7_b.jpg

4677311694_2c2537cf8d_b.jpg

Some quickie details:
GT35R, Tial 40mm wastegate, modified CX headers, force racing BOV (tucked under the fender), MAFT Gen-II (3" GM MAF), all charge piping is 2.75" aluminum, stock R-34 GTR intercooler. lightweight flywheel, aluminum driveshaft, poly bushings, aluminum subframe spacers, and some other random bits and pieces. Nothing special on engine internals, just gave the valves and seats a refurb since everything looked so good.

I did the welding on all the steel parts, which is why it's a little messy, had a local guy who does flight welding for the shuttle do the aluminum, which I'll show off once I polish all the parts. Needless to say his stuff is downright amazing, especially considering the tubing is extremely thin.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Nice! That's one of the literally cleanest engine bays I've seen. Which a/r did you select for your GT35? Got any measured stats (dyno) that you can share?

Spiv

hooligan
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando, Fl
Thank you! I feel like there's still a lot of basic wire cleanup and stuff that needs to happen before it's really as clean "looking" as I want it, but either way it will probably stay a little cluttered.

I went smaller on the a/r, .82. Not looking for huge numbers, just a good toy. No stats yet, will probably take me a while to get it all dialed in before I do, but I'm shooting for a cold, daily 450rwhp. I pushed a 60-1 to just shy of that on the previous build and it was plenty fast enough.

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
Looks great! That's very similar to the setup I'm planning on running. How is the spool with the .82 A/R? Top end? That is what I'm thinking of getting too.

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
Spiv;1576949 said:
Thank you! I feel like there's still a lot of basic wire cleanup and stuff that needs to happen before it's really as clean "looking" as I want it, but either way it will probably stay a little cluttered.

I went smaller on the a/r, .82. Not looking for huge numbers, just a good toy. No stats yet, will probably take me a while to get it all dialed in before I do, but I'm shooting for a cold, daily 450rwhp. I pushed a 60-1 to just shy of that on the previous build and it was plenty fast enough.

LMAO, a GT35 for a toy? Talk about playing with fire....thats going to be very fun to play with :D

But the engine bay over all is very clean, just in case u didn't know that

Supra87T

2-Tone BLUE
Feb 23, 2006
Cincinnati, OH
Spiv;1576939 said:
Some quickie details:
GT35R, Tial 40mm wastegate, modified CX headers, force racing BOV (tucked under the fender), MAFT Gen-II (3" GM MAF), all charge piping is 2.75" aluminum, stock R-34 GTR intercooler. lightweight flywheel, aluminum driveshaft, poly bushings, aluminum subframe spacers, and some other random bits and pieces. Nothing special on engine internals, just gave the valves and seats a refurb since everything looked so good.

Your car looks really nice. I take it you are running the MAF in blowthrough mode? Where did you locate the MAF?

Spiv

hooligan
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando, Fl
Thanks for the compliments!

arknotts: not sure about the top-end yet, just been kind of fooling around with it so far. Spool-up seems much better than the non ball bearing 60-1 was, in fact I'm regularly surprised at how easily it starts to get a little pressure building. The BOV definitely gets its workout, even tooling around. I can't imagine a turbo as big as this is going to run out of leg on a stock rev limit though.

supra87t: yes, blowthrough. The MAF is basically sitting in the battery tray, which has a large hole in it that leads down to the BOV.

tweak: none between the filter and manifold (for this manifold: the older versions are useless), but I did have to extend the space between where the octopus of header tubes meets up to raise the turbo higher, slightly farther forward, rotate it slightly so that the cold side outlet would clear everything. Also the turbo oil feed is tight, but there is enough clearance to be safe. You might still think about using a relocation kit simply because you wouldn't have to fight the wastegate to swap oil filters. It's not a huge deal, but neither is a relocation kit. Also I had to relocate the power steering reservoir, there was really no way to make an intake pipe clear the stock one cleanly.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Looks nice. T4 or T3 manifold? Some people had difficulty with the T4 and oil hook ups. From what I read here.

I like the flex section on the downpipe. It makes movement much easier when working, and of course it abosorbs torsion from the car. The car really does look clean. I have work to do on mine.

Spiv

hooligan
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando, Fl
nick m: not sure. Step one for me was to hack the stock flange off of it, which made it to the scrap/recycling bucket in pieces. I had two versions though, and the older one was a joke. The pipe coming out of #1 had zero thought as to where anything else in the car was, so I'm guessing that's the T4 version? This one comes in at a harsher angle, but it clears everything (though it's tight).

The flex became a priority for me after I noticed my exhaust had a nice scrape in it from bottoming out somewhere along the way. Can't imagine what kind of force that transferred to the turbo/manifold/head/my-heartstrings, but nothing good. There's another flex section just before the resonator as well, that way it gets some motion in both axiis if needed.

carter: no vids yet, but I'll get on that soon. I did have the foresight to take an audio sample of it before I took the car apart to do all this, and still have the same equipment I used to do that. Should be an interesting comparison. Same cat-back, different everything else.

It's a big turbo, a tight fit: it required a manifold, wastegate, intercooler piping, oil lines, coolant lines, power steering reservoir and lines, downpipe, and not having an intercooler pipe coming back over the top of the engine to make it fit right. Don't even get me started on all the stuff I had to design/machine/change/get-welded with the choice of the FFIM to solve that last one. It's a big jump, but so is any turbo that doesn't bolt to the factory flanges. Basically I'm saying...uh..do it! It's freaking sweet! But know what you're in for.

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

BTW, here's some of what went into the FFIM:

supra_manifold_parts.jpg

DSCN0622.JPG

IMG_0851_w.jpg

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The GT35R comes with a T3 exhaust housing. Or at least it did. And a few turbo vendors sold it with a T4 they put on the exhaust. And a few here had difficulty, it was like the maker didn't plan how to put on the lines. Yours looks fine in the picture, assuming that is the oil feed on top.

Spiv

hooligan
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando, Fl
Nick: Must be it then. Like I said, the lines are tight, but they clear ok. The other one wouldn't clear the filter housing and placed the turbo way too far back in the bay to be able to make a decent downpipe.

I'm looking forward to working on it a little more this weekend.