89T AFM failure - 7MGTE

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Welp since this thread is so conviently here lol...
Got my code 31 after I accidently spilled some coolant on my air filter and like a dumbass started the car...obvious bad AFM right...well Idk...went to get the car from my driveway to my brothers garage (mine is packed full, and his is heated) a few blocks away. Was just going to limp it there to go to work on it...so code 31 yesterday and hard start, sporatic idle that would even out, give it throttle and let off and it would want to die out, then recover, vf readings all over the place at idle....then today go to start it, lil rough start then bam fires up and no more MIL, perfect steady idle, perfect 2.25 vf so drove it around the block, all good, around another time even better...parked it back in my driveway...

Looks to me like I may in fact not have a bad AFM and have an intermittent problem with wiring between the AFM and ECU. Thinking about just clearing the code and driving it and seeing if it comes back. Is this a good idea or is there an obvious quirk here? I mean does an AFM go bad and cone back to life lol?

Mikael_7m

Built 7M
Apr 26, 2009
Australia
7M4EVR;1974152 said:
Welp since this thread is so conviently here lol...
Got my code 31 after I accidently spilled some coolant on my air filter and like a dumbass started the car...obvious bad AFM right...well Idk...went to get the car from my driveway to my brothers garage (mine is packed full, and his is heated) a few blocks away. Was just going to limp it there to go to work on it...so code 31 yesterday and hard start, sporatic idle that would even out, give it throttle and let off and it would want to die out, then recover, vf readings all over the place at idle....then today go to start it, lil rough start then bam fires up and no more MIL, perfect steady idle, perfect 2.25 vf so drove it around the block, all good, around another time even better...parked it back in my driveway...

Looks to me like I may in fact not have a bad AFM and have an intermittent problem with wiring between the AFM and ECU. Thinking about just clearing the code and driving it and seeing if it comes back. Is this a good idea or is there an obvious quirk here? I mean does an AFM go bad and cone back to life lol?

My AFM did this a couple of weeks before it carked it. Ran like shit, threw code 31. Switched her off for the night to work it out in the morning and had no codes or problems in the morning. Ran like that for a few weeks and then the problem came back. Hope this is not the case for you!