89 Turbo won't start after parked for 7 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhum

Consequence
Aug 25, 2005
VA
Hi everyone.
I have an 89turbo 5 spd that I have not driven for 7 weeks. Now it won't turn over, not even a click from the starter. All I hear is a humming sound when I turned the key. I did put a new Optima Redtop battery in it today and viola, nothing. Same symptom. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
make sure your connections at the battery are good! same thing happended twice to me with the humming. Idk its worth a shot, they can corrode.

nhum

Consequence
Aug 25, 2005
VA
mk3-4-me;1717193 said:
make sure your connections at the battery are good! same thing happended twice to me with the humming. Idk its worth a shot, they can corrode.

roadboy;1717204 said:
yup check your terminals usually they seem tight but arnt, wiggle them and tighten them backup, happened to me as well

thank you for the quick replies.

Checked and re-tighten both terminals but still won't crank.
Checked main relay. It clicks when girl friend turned the key.
Checked all related fuses. None are blown.
Put the car in gear and rocked it back and forth. Didn't work.
Jacked the car up and turned the crank. Didn't work.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX

90mkiiisupra400hp

Mar 20, 2011
Gardiner, Maine
Poodles;1717338 said:
Which if you read that thread you know it does NOTHING. Stock already has a relay, you're just adding a relay to a relay instead of fixing the problem!

OP: Start here: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=11
I have read it, I only say this because it fixed my problem when my car wouldn't start and if the OP's battery is charged and all the connections are good that would be what I would do.

mk3_7m

Jul 21, 2007
melbourne
Make sure that blue wire (idk if its blue for all harnesses) to the starter motor is still connected and not corroded as well. I accidently disconnected mine while trying to get to the knock sensors and when I tried to start it, no crank and made that humming noise. At first I was like nooo don't tell me my starter is gone and then I saw a loose wire and connected it back on the starter motor and it worked again.

SupraDupra500

Apr 29, 2005
Terre Haute, Indiana
I may have missed it, but has anyone mentioned the possibility of a bad starter solenoid? Jack up the car, disconnect the smaller wire from the starter.. then get a test light and attach it to the wire and find a good ground. Have a buddy hit the ignition and see if your test light illuminates. If it illuminates, it's a bad solenoid and you need to replace your starter. If not you need to look at starter relay for sure.

nhum

Consequence
Aug 25, 2005
VA
JStoked;1717335 said:
Charge the battery we got a brand new red top and it was dead from the get go.

Problem Solved. Thank you my Supra friends for your time, thoughts and knowledge.

I took the "NEW" battery off the car and hooked it up to my charger. It read 12.1 Volts but only at 53% capacity. I charged it up to 100% and put it back in the car.
First crank, nothing happend. Second crank, the car started. I ran in the house and yellled to my girlfriend....IT'S ALIVE..

Again...thank you...

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
I can't park my supra for 3weeks without a battery related no start. I've had that house charger since I was a kid. Batteries charge great on a running engine but I think my auto door system drains it pretty quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.