89 Turbo LED project

89TurboPC

May 10, 2007
Beach Cities, SoCal
Over the pass couple days, I got couple PM asking for the layout of the PWM and the back board.
First I don't want to share the marker/brake board layout because I want to be unique + it's really easy to make your own with ExpressPCB. The footprint for the superflux led is 0.300" between the pins and 0.029" hole and 0.056" pad (square or round).
Turn signal and backup, I just try and true with perf-board. Using the diffuser for size to cut the perf-board. Once the board is cut, just put insert it into the gray thinggy like the diffuser and place the led.
For the PWM, I dont' think it is worth your time and cost effective to make just one. I did it myself because I made a few of them to be use on my other 2 cars as well. There is a guy (slickraft) selling a pro-made PWM called Opti-Drive on fleebay (just search for PWM driver regulator). You can get it with just a PWM or a deal he had with 2 tubes (120 led) of SuperFlux Red/orange led for a very reasonable price. He goes by azdave on hidplanet forum (I did mention his name on 2nd post of this thread). You can also buy additional led, regulator from him for basically at cost.

Attached is expressPCB schematic file for the PWM which is the same as the layout on the first post. It help check against error on pcb layout. Just use import netlist feature in expressPCB.

Attachments

• PWM_REG.zip
    14.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

88YotaTurbo

Feb 26, 2006
Wolcott, Ct.
Thanks for your help. I was one of the people inquiring about your pcb and schematic layouts. I wasn't planning on copying your design. I was mainly looking for a better understanding on how a pwm works with your circuit. Thanks again for you help 89turbopc. I have also joined hidplanets forum under the same name. I guess i'll ask azdave about his pwm drivers.

89TurboPC

May 10, 2007
Beach Cities, SoCal
My project is basically completed. The only way you can tell whether it is worth the effort is to see it in person. Pictures can't show it enough.

This is how I mount the marker/brake board. Basically, I make 4 little clips and insert into the holes where the "legs" for the diffuser used to be and bent it over to the board. Kind of similar to picture frame mounting.

Close up of the mount.

In the car and how it is compare to the filament bulbs. Marker brightness.

Brake or full brightness. At night, it is insanely bright.

Well, this project cost me an extra amplifier :( ... While I have the light out in the house, it was raining really hard for 1/2 hr one night. The result is that there was about 2 gallons of water inside the spare tire area (even I have a car cover on). I didn't know there was water in there at first because the back cover carpet isn't wet. I have the amp mount under the cover next to the spare tire. When I have the radio on and notice that there isn't any bass coming out from the back, I check the amp and sure the fuse blew. I knew something isn't right because that same fuse was been there for at least 10 years. I replace a lower rating fuse turn it on again. The fuse isn't blew but Genies magically came out of the amp. I yank the fuse and cut off power to the amp. I start to notice that water in the spare tire place. Took the amp out and it is fill with water. It's really suck. The amp was given to me from a friend who burned it from overpower/distortion. I fixed the transistor and it work fine since for at least 15 years moving between my 2 supras. It's an OLD SCHOOL Kenwood KAC-821.

Last edited:

riverj88

Jul 29, 2008
New Jersey
89TurboPC;773093 said:
Into the light housing.

They actually work ;). The picture is a little angle cuz I can't stand straight at the light as you know why. The brake/marker is DIMMED as it will be marker brightness.

With the lens on (still on marker brightness).

Oh yeah, with full brightness on (brake)

Now I need to find a way to mount the board into the housing either permanently or semi-permanent.

Do you have any of these for sale???:1zhelp:

senseilias

Sep 20, 2008
Boston, MA
89TurboPC;782186 said:
My project is basically completed. The only way you can tell whether it is worth the effort is to see it in person. Pictures can't show it enough.

This is how I mount the marker/brake board. Basically, I make 4 little clips and insert into the holes where the "legs" for the diffuser used to be and bent it over to the board. Kind of similar to picture frame mounting.

Close up of the mount.

In the car and how it is compare to the filament bulbs. Marker brightness.

Brake or full brightness. At night, it is insanely bright.

Well, this project cost me an extra amplifier :( ... While I have the light out in the house, it was raining really hard for 1/2 hr one night. The result is that there was about 2 gallons of water inside the spare tire area (even I have a car cover on). I didn't know there was water in there at first because the back cover carpet isn't wet. I have the amp mount under the cover next to the spare tire. When I have the radio on and notice that there isn't any bass coming out from the back, I check the amp and sure the fuse blew. I knew something isn't right because that same fuse was been there for at least 10 years. I replace a lower rating fuse turn it on again. The fuse isn't blew but Genies magically came out of the amp. I yank the fuse and cut off power to the amp. I start to notice that water in the spare tire place. Took the amp out and it is fill with water. It's really suck. The amp was given to me from a friend who burned it from overpower/distortion. I fixed the transistor and it work fine since for at least 15 years moving between my 2 supras. It's an OLD SCHOOL Kenwood KAC-821.

How much would u charge to do a job like this? I'm a motor guy. not much of electricity.

89TurboPC

May 10, 2007
Beach Cities, SoCal
Hi Guys,
Sorry I haven't been on the board for a while. I got a few PMs from some of you asking if I'm making one for sale or have one for sale over the pass 3-6 months that I didn't return your PMs. I'm sorry to say that I don't have one to sale or intended to make one for sale. It's simply a time consuming project and time is something that I don't have much. With a terrible 3 running around and a newborn on hand, I don't even have time to wash the car :( . I'm in the middle of doing the same thing for my Matrix and I have to put it on the shelf for unknown amount of time. I just don't want any of the chemical (etching or lead from soldering) to be touched by my kids.

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
Question for you TurboPC,

The LEDs on the Infiniti FX & Highlander Hybrids seem to be nice and big could larger LEDs like those be purchased and used on a project like yours?

Thanks.

89TurboPC

May 10, 2007
Beach Cities, SoCal
Supra469;1180186 said:
Question for you TurboPC,

The LEDs on the Infiniti FX & Highlander Hybrids seem to be nice and big could larger LEDs like those be purchased and used on a project like yours?

Thanks.

Sure why not. The only problem I can see is the specification for those LED and the footprint for PCB. If you know the spec for the LED, you can adjust the circuit (resistor size) to work with those LED.

nsjoel808

Aug 22, 2009
Hawaii
89TurboPC;1180553 said:
Sure why not. The only problem I can see is the specification for those LED and the footprint for PCB. If you know the spec for the LED, you can adjust the circuit (resistor size) to work with those LED.

Im wondering if its possible to find some led tails from a newer car cook em up, take out the leds and fit and wire them into the mkiii housing some how?

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Had to bump this thread, some great info it should be a sticky! I plan to do something like this in the near future! I have to ask are you the one ebay selling this mod? :p

89TurboPC

May 10, 2007
Beach Cities, SoCal
Beals;2063412 said:
Had to bump this thread, some great info it should be a sticky! I plan to do something like this in the near future! I have to ask are you the one ebay selling this mod? :p

Wow, you really dig it up from the dead ;) and a late reply. Also I don't come back here as often.
To answer your question, no I'm not the one who selling the mod on ebay. I never sell stuff on ebay. Strange huh?