89 tails quick question

madsupra88

BoOoOoST
Sep 17, 2005
Detroit,MI
Mine went in perfect, no modding needed. but some people say the had to make some holes bigger or had to drill some more holes. try it out. let me know if u had to do anything, cuzz im still confused on y mine went perfect and others had to do something.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
There are 2 extra studs on the 89+ tail lights/center piece compared to the pre-89. A lot of people simply break off those studs and bolt it up with the 88 mounting locations, while some people like to drill the 2 extra holes for the mounting. Up to you.

As far as the trim goes, your 88 trim ends exactly where the centerpiece begins, so it will all go back together perfectly, however you're 88 trim won't look the same as the newer trim on the new centre piece.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
I just took the studs off (they slide out) no big deal really. And as far as the mouldings, I just used a blow-dryer to heat my pre-89 moulding, and peel it off...then I double-stick taped it to the 89+ moulding.

Here's a pic:
p405124_1.jpg

killarb634

Apr 1, 2005
Jersey's here
johnathan1 said:
I just took the studs off (they slide out) no big deal really. And as far as the mouldings, I just used a blow-dryer to heat my pre-89 moulding, and peel it off...then I double-stick taped it to the 89+ moulding.
[/IMG]

What did you blow dry? the new center section or the older trim?

killarb634

Apr 1, 2005
Jersey's here
Ok I installed the 89 tails today the only change was i had to pull off the little moldings above the plastic moldings and it lined right up. The backs were rusted to hell so i just broke the bolts and it was a direct line up.

Johnathan... When you put your moldings on there was there a gap between? I can't tell from you pic.

killarb634

Apr 1, 2005
Jersey's here
alright i just lined it up. Did you just tape it onto the plastic molding looking piece that was there? Does it come out real far and look a little awkward from the side? Thanks

killarb634

Apr 1, 2005
Jersey's here
I think that looks good. I popped them little moldings off above the trim and painted them white so it matched better. I'll get a pic if you wanna see it.